Sign in to follow this  
catman79

has anyone on here ran a tamiya 415 at the iconic cup?

just wanted to pick someones brains, i have aquired a tamiya 415 with the plan on running in next years iconic cup, just wondered if anyone had any experience running one of these there? just after some advice if so!

thanks

I've just looked at the entry list for this year's Iconic Race Day at West London (the one-day replacement for this year's cup) and it looks like of the 8 cars in the GT class, 5 of them were either 415s.  3 were labelled as plain TRF-415, with one TRF-415MSX and one 415MSXX.  The battle in the first final between Marcus Askell and Andy Travis, both racing TRF-415s, was one of the best I've seen.

Adie Parkes drove the TRF-415MSXX, he is also the proprietor of the RaceCraft RC and provides the Iconic pit shop, and is really helpful with setup advice and vintage parts.  I'm sure he'd be willing to offer some advice.  Check out his Tamiya stock while you're there.

https://www.racecraftrc.co.uk/

It's worth pointing out that at the close of the Iconic Revival, Mr. Iconic himself said he wasn't making any plans for next year just yet, so we can't be 100% sure we'll get a full season.

top man, i will see who i can get hold of.. yeah i spoke to john a week or so ago, just want to get prepared so im ready for what ever goes ahead.  ive done a few revivals, but the iconic cup is calling to me this year too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catman79 said:

top man, i will see who i can get hold of.. yeah i spoke to john a week or so ago, just want to get prepared so im ready for what ever goes ahead.  ive done a few revivals, but the iconic cup is calling to me this year too!

Adie is a super-helpful guy, tell him Alex sent you.  Andy Travis is a good guy too, I always bother him for setup advice for my TL01-LA (he won the Stock class with an LA before they were moved into Super Stock).

The cup is good fun.  I think I missed it the first year because I wasn't really doing vintage touring and didn't fancy running a bog-standard TT01 since it doesn't really feel vintage enough for me and is just a bit boring.  After that I've only ever done the first round, which is local to me - Cotswold in 2017 and 2018, then Mendip in 2019.

This year I planned to do Mendip at the start of the season and West London at the end, and was even hovering over the entry button to do one of the midlands rounds also (2020 was a crazy busy year calendar-wise, I upset the wife by booking into the UK G6, Iconic Cup Mendip and a stag do in the same month, which also happened to be her birthday and our anniversary.  Oddly enough we didn't get to do any of it ;) )

On 10/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, Mad Ax said:

Adie is a super-helpful guy, tell him Alex sent you.  Andy Travis is a good guy too, I always bother him for setup advice for my TL01-LA (he won the Stock class with an LA before they were moved into Super Stock).

The cup is good fun.  I think I missed it the first year because I wasn't really doing vintage touring and didn't fancy running a bog-standard TT01 since it doesn't really feel vintage enough for me and is just a bit boring.  After that I've only ever done the first round, which is local to me - Cotswold in 2017 and 2018, then Mendip in 2019.

This year I planned to do Mendip at the start of the season and West London at the end, and was even hovering over the entry button to do one of the midlands rounds also (2020 was a crazy busy year calendar-wise, I upset the wife by booking into the UK G6, Iconic Cup Mendip and a stag do in the same month, which also happened to be her birthday and our anniversary.  Oddly enough we didn't get to do any of it ;) )

sounds like my life, all the plans but no action! i had a chat with adie, who was most helpful, thanks for the advice there! big plans for next year, ive just aquired a 415 tamiya, and am in the process of getting an f1 car for the iconic cup.  ive got  2wd and 4wd projects in progress for the iconic revival, here's hoping rona leaves us to crack on! are you planing on any iconinc meets next year?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, catman79 said:

are you planing on any iconinc meets next year?

I'll probably do as many as I can.  I really enjoyed my vintage racing this year, and Iconic always put on the best events.  I don't usually do the Brett Davis (and I doubt it will happen anyway as it's indoors and mid-winter), I will almost certainly do any Iconic Cup rounds that come to Cotswold or Mendip as they are local, I might do West London and probably Stafford as it's a good easy run, and the Revival is a definite provided I get an entry.  I usually miss out on the other random ones like the Buggython, the Banzai and the US buggy meet (I forget the name) because I already have a lot of time out around that time of year, but it might be that next year is a foreshortened season anyway.

I've got a good run of racing in this year.  I did a couple of rounds of the Classic class in the TORC Summer Series this year, and I've done round 1 of the Winter Series.  It's a 2.5 hr drive but the Sunday morning run up to Stafford is easy and the route back usually isn't too bad (last weekend I got out of the track just after 3pm so not too much traffic heading south).  I'm not sure if I'll do the November round as it conflicts with a possible local scaler meet and whether or not we can do any more meets into December and beyond really depends on how the powers-that-be decide to handle the situation and whether their plans work.

Cotswold is running a winter championship but they don't run classic, I run Frontie but I'm a bit outclassed and roll in last by several laps in every heat.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

I'll probably do as many as I can.  I really enjoyed my vintage racing this year, and Iconic always put on the best events.  I don't usually do the Brett Davis (and I doubt it will happen anyway as it's indoors and mid-winter), I will almost certainly do any Iconic Cup rounds that come to Cotswold or Mendip as they are local, I might do West London and probably Stafford as it's a good easy run, and the Revival is a definite provided I get an entry.  I usually miss out on the other random ones like the Buggython, the Banzai and the US buggy meet (I forget the name) because I already have a lot of time out around that time of year, but it might be that next year is a foreshortened season anyway.

I've got a good run of racing in this year.  I did a couple of rounds of the Classic class in the TORC Summer Series this year, and I've done round 1 of the Winter Series.  It's a 2.5 hr drive but the Sunday morning run up to Stafford is easy and the route back usually isn't too bad (last weekend I got out of the track just after 3pm so not too much traffic heading south).  I'm not sure if I'll do the November round as it conflicts with a possible local scaler meet and whether or not we can do any more meets into December and beyond really depends on how the powers-that-be decide to handle the situation and whether their plans work.

Cotswold is running a winter championship but they don't run classic, I run Frontie but I'm a bit outclassed and roll in last by several laps in every heat.

same rounds as im hoping for, carlisle is a bit of a trek, so i doubt ill do that one. again though depends what i can get in for.  will see what happens when booking in opens i guess!

• Like 1

Yep, Andy and Myself run the 415. Although I have not made it for the last couple of years, but Andy is always there. He also posts set-ups on the site ( www.TheRcRacer.com )

What sort of info do you need?

On 10/19/2020 at 7:32 PM, qatmix said:

Yep, Andy and Myself run the 415. Although I have not made it for the last couple of years, but Andy is always there. He also posts set-ups on the site ( www.TheRcRacer.com )

What sort of info do you need?

hi, ive had a couple of conversations with andy, who has given me loads of advice regarding set up. my 415 finally arrived yesterday from the states, cant wait to use it, got everything crossed the event goes ahead next year!

• Like 1