ChrisRx718

Just another XV-01...

Don't mind me!

I'm a bit late to the party. I've been intrigued by this chassis since it was released, having previously campaigned a TA-03F in the British Drift Championship (before it was banned). 

Then you have the likes of @Nicadraus, prolific XV-01 tinkerer, frequently posting up his chassis. Temptation led to browsing which led to 'browsing with intent' :lol:

Soon Tamico delivered me a lovely new XV-01 Long Damper Spec chassis kit, and so began the search for Hop Ups. Unfortunately back in July / August, Hop-Ups (especially the recommended ones) were hard to find. I knew I wanted:

• Alloy suspension blocks all-around
  • Universal driveshafts, front & rear
  • Alloy damper bodies
  • Slipper clutch

But the top two were particularly hard to locate for a while, having sold-out everywhere. Even aftermarket front universals were nowhere on the regular websites we frequent. So instead; I clocked an unwanted XV-01 on FaceBook Marketplace which already had the Hop-Ups I craved. I put my new-in-box kit up for sale for what I paid for it and a deal was struck within 24 hours! I drove over to collect my 'new' used XV-01:

50432484718_a138c3b746_b.jpg

This already had the Yeah Racing universal driveshafts front and rear, carbon fibre damper towers front and rear and Yeah Racing 60mm aluminium oil dampers. I bought it for just £10 more than I sold my Long Damper kit for, but this also included the Carisma Audi Quattro body and a motor / ESC / servo. Happy days!

I ran this once in this setup. My lasting impression was that the chassis could definitely handle more power (currently a 27T stock motor and TBLE02S ESC) and that the steering could be faster too. I set about ordering some parts and resisted the urge to go "full Nicadraus" on it! I've still spent a bit more than I had planned to...

50433002076_fb69fd53f8_b.jpg

Just for future reference that is:

• Tamiya 54378 Slipper Clutch
  • Tamiya 54670 GF-01 Aluminium Oil Dampers
  • Tamiya 54442 Reinforced C Parts (front upright)
  • Tamiya 54446 Reinforced K Parts 
  • Tamiya 54451 Aluminium Steering Arms
  • Tamiya 54454 Aluminium Steering Bridge
  • Tamiya 54221 TRF201 Front Spring Set
  • Tamiya 54448 Reinforced Drive Belt
  • Tamiya 54372 TA06 Rear Direct Coupling (not sure about this yet)
  • Tamiya optional pinion gears x4
  • Yeah Racing Aluminium Suspension Blocks (x4)
  • Yeah Racing 6mm Aluminium Hex Hubs
  • Yeah Racing carbon bumper support ("blades")
  • "TPRC" carbon fibre motor brace 
  • GPM alloy servo posts
  • Hobbywing 10BL60 sensored brushless ESC

Also not pictured is an uprated servo and hi-torque servo saver, phew. I'm not adding all that up!! £££ :lol: So much for a cheap park basher.

Today I finally pulled my finger out and started dismantling the XV-01. I must credit the previous owner with having built it to a high standard, he himself not having proper manual so having to download one online and source any missing parts. Everything worked perfectly too; the drivetrain on these is exceptionally quiet, but I suppose that's down to being an enclosed belt-drive.

As I go I'll also be replacing all the hardware with hex-head stainless steel or aluminium, just because.

Armed with my trusty Tamiya Drivers and 3Racing ball joint remover (best $2 ever spent) I set about the chassis without so much as a cursory glance at the manual! 

50432308678_1d48500728_b.jpg

I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just un-screwing any screw I can see and putting it into a separate container.

50432308868_e9b5fa03da_b.jpg

This bit was easy; the electronics 'box' down the right-hand flank of the chassis tub. The previous owner has eliminated the third wire from the TBLE-02S and extended the other two to reach the front-mounted motor. A neat and tidy job he's done, too.

50432308598_9e1c7ca51f_b.jpg

Out with the old, as they say... Now I'll need another project to utilise these electronics!

50432308653_6286a459b3_b.jpg

Yeah Racing dampers removed. I must admit these are really very lovely; I'm impressed. They will replace some plastic CVA dampers on my actual GF-01, so they're going to a good home.

50433171232_8550bbd147_b.jpg

A-ha!

This is why I enjoy doing a strip-down, not because I don't think something is built properly but because I like to know all the hardware is in good order. 

It's unclear how this screw head fell victim to such a brutal attack, but previous cases have all pointed to the same potential suspect... he goes by the name Phillips...

50432309073_4a15085a15_b.jpg

Front gearbox and all the mudgards removed with relatively little fuss. The similarities to my FF-03 are evident here.

50433171227_06e16ef66d_b.jpg

After I removed the rear gearbox case I found a lot of excess oil on the chassis directly beneath. Are they oil-filled diffs on the XV-01? I genuinely haven't looked at a manual yet. If the rear one is leaking it's not too much of a concern, I'm going to experiment with the solid rear axle from the TA06 to try and encourage some oversteer first. If not; I'm guessing this is new seals time?

50433171002_d7db3b8265_b.jpg

And that's kind-of where it stands at the moment, carefully stored back in a box for another day before the rebuild. 

Thanks for reading...:)

• Like 6

The diffs are oil filled. I've put 30k in front and 10k in the rear of mine. I would not use those aluminum CVD in front to be honest. They will break. You need the steel ones. And yes, you really need aluminum suspension mounts.

You'll love this chassis. I never thought that I would but I do. Probably the most enjoyable chassis I have/have had. :)

• Like 3

the only issue i do not like about this chassis is the battery placement, that said it's rather protected there,1'm  just not use to it.

XV-01, XV-02's and 03's are rather, what do they say?,  oh yes "THE BOMB!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

50433171232_8550bbd147_b.jpg

A-ha!

This is why I enjoy doing a strip-down, not because I don't think something is built properly but because I like to know all the hardware is in good order. 

It's unclear how this screw head fell victim to such a brutal attack, but previous cases have all pointed to the same potential suspect... he goes by the name Phillips...

If I'm not mistaken, that particular screw comes in stainless steel, as opposed to the normal steel of all the other screws. It's meant that way from Tamiya, since I guess they assumed being on the bottom of the chassis, it would be more prone to environmental hazards. That would pretty much explain why there are battle-scars on that screw; stainless steel is relatively soft.

In other news: Great thread! Following this intently since it looks a lot like what my long damper spec will eventually look like, but with a couple more hopups here and there :lol:

• Like 1

Onwards!

Apologies for the lighting, it's all over the place as I took photo's on different days in my kitchen dedicated RC workshop.

Essential up-grade #1 - Alloy suspension blocks:

50445439663_8b70967dac_b.jpg

That's the rear sorted; just stock toe-angles for now. Whilst doing the front end I fitted my alloy steering setup:

50445438553_32db1eab08_b.jpg

Lots of blue stuff! All fit together really nicely. Suspension blocks are Yeah Racing, steering arms and bridge are Tamiya.

Right then, rear diff. In an effort to make it a more tail-happy affair, I've bought this thing:

50446312092_76795b237b_b.jpg

More evidence of the diff oil all over the rear gear casing: 

50446312082_01c14e4224_b.jpg

I took the oil gear diff out and sealed it in a little clear bag. I'm not sure it's actually that which is leaking, but I'll put it aside in case the solid rear axle doesn't work well.

All built-back up; hardware replaced with stainless hex-head stuff:

50453946898_b75c01d745_b.jpg

Wish I'd bought those alloy pulleys, but I ran out of money :( 

Front gearbox time;

50446311607_f0c5628280_b.jpg

I've elected to keep the oil filled gear diff up front, it feels fine so I'll play around with it if necessary later - see how it works in conjunction with the rear lock-out.

Slipper clutch time:

50445439563_68e27c73b6_b.jpg

Never built one of these before; I've built it to the recommended tightness and will adjust once I get a feel for it.

50445438733_246b7e4b10_b.jpg

Oh, what's that fan doing there?

50446313377_9dc798265b_b.jpg

I'm not sure if it will stay there, but this is one of those AliExpress / TPRC upgrades I spotted. Fan is from Yeah Racing, wish I'd just picked a plain ol' black one now though :lol:

50446130221_26be7c9769_b.jpg

Front end all reassembled; carbon reinforced parts where possible and stainless hex hardware. There are a lot of 3x8mm countersunk screws on this chassis!

50445439763_62cbfe3f3f_b.jpg

Next up; dampers and steering servo install. I had a right palaver with the latter, all self-inflicted...

• Like 4

It's the diff that's leaking. Aluminum diff covers USUALLY help with that, along with some heavy grease around the diff o-rings.

Will you be changing out the esc/motor combo? Because if so, I'm looking forward to the wiring job. 

Also, I wasn't sure if the top front chassis brace (covering the steering rack) was already carbon reinforced or not out of the box; it sure felt pretty stiff to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

It's the diff that's leaking. Aluminum diff covers USUALLY help with that, along with some heavy grease around the diff o-rings.

Will you be changing out the esc/motor combo? Because if so, I'm looking forward to the wiring job. 

Also, I wasn't sure if the top front chassis brace (covering the steering rack) was already carbon reinforced or not out of the box; it sure felt pretty stiff to me.

The top front chassis brace isn't reinforced. Yeah, it's stiff; the reinforced part feels like a rock.

Red diff o-rings, lots of green slime, and aluminum diff covers will really help the diffs to seal. Lightly chamfering the screw holes in the diff cups helps too, and it's free.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I have no money left for the shiny things, I've got to get this thing running so I can play with my new Kyosho! 

Funnily enough; the front diff isn't leaking (I stripped it down to check the gears were greased) so I'm not going to mess with it! If it ain't broke...

I'm most certainly not looking forward to the wiring job, like your good self I've been delayed by having to get hold of some 3.5mm gold banana plugs for the motor / esc connection. I'm not a fan of hard-wiring without a connection, whilst I appreciate it's the least resistance and the 'racers choice' I'm far from a racer and like to swap and change electronics about to suit my preference! 14AWG wire ordered, thinking of doing them all black. 

I have a 10.5T Tamiya TBLM02 motor going in, sensored, powered by a 10BL60 ESC. I meant to order the waterproof version but I got a good deal on the sensored setup, so I've stolen the motor from my TA05IFS-R. Like I say; I like to chop and change my electronics about!

• Like 1