DayRider

My first off road buggy?

Winter is coming. Usually at this time of year I start to strip everything down, clean, oil and grease then put everything back together ready for better weather. Sometimes if I get restless I will get a new body to paint but this year it seem that I am on top of everything due to lock down. Even my desk and tool box is in the best condition it's ever been.

So I have been giving some thought to purchasing a new challenge, usually I gone for more on road types. This time I'm thinking of getting something I can run even when it is a bit damp or the weather has been rubbish for a few day, just so I can get out there and get my fill and so I send people crazy due to my restlessness.

So I have been giving some thought to buying something more suited for off road but nothing like a monster truck. The only thing is I have never really been into the buggy craze, don't get me wrong I have watched local lads blasting them up and down the beaches near me and really enjoyed seeing YT videos. 

I'm not wanting to put too much money down just YET! So haven't got a clue where to start. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful and also is it better to get a 4WD? What should l look out for. Thanks everyone 😊

• Like 1

I’m looking at getting a TT02b. It can be configured as a 4wd buggy or onroad racer. Lots of options.  Just throwing it out there...

Terry

• Like 1

I would avoid any classic/vintage or re-re's, just go for a modern buggy that has plentiful parts supply and hop-up options. TT02B? I haven't owned one but we have looked into it as my middle daughter is looking for a modern buggy to add to her xmas list. She has loads of vintage/re-re buggies but wanted something that we can cheaply and easily fix, is robust and she can jump and race without worry.   She initially wanted a DF03 dark impact but it seems that it is a less rugged chassis than the TT02B? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I’m looking at getting a TT02b. It can be configured as a 4wd buggy or onroad racer. Lots of options.  Just throwing it out there...

Terry

I have a tt02, I wonder what it would cost to convert, can you get a kit for that? because I don't hunting loads of pats down and find you can't the one bit for months.

5 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

I would avoid any classic/vintage or re-re's, just go for a modern buggy that has plentiful parts supply and hop-up options. TT02B? I haven't owned one but we have looked into it as my middle daughter is looking for a modern buggy to add to her xmas list. She has loads of vintage/re-re buggies but wanted something that we can cheaply and easily fix, is robust and she can jump and race without worry.   She initially wanted a DF03 dark impact but it seems that it is a less rugged chassis than the TT02B? 

Well thats my point, I'm on a budget, don't want to sink loads of cash into something just sat on a shelf most of the year.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DayRider said:

I have a tt02, I wonder what it would cost to convert, can you get a kit for that? because I don't hunting loads of pats down and find you can't the one bit for months.

just had a quick look on line and its seem as though I could convert my TT02 to a TT02B for not that much money. I haven't costed it out completely but for a bout £60- 80. that's not including a body and paint. :lol:

• Like 2

If I were in your position @DayRider, I'd seriously consider a DT02. Cheap to buy, relatively cheap to upgrade, quite capable, and can be made to go quite fast, which only adds to the fun factor. To get a 4wd Tamiya buggy to work for you, you'd need to spend more money. 

For example, I poured in around USD 200 extra or so to get my TT02B capable enough to be considered a fun basher. This is not counting the basics plus a brushless setup. 

But then again it really depends on what part of the hobby you find the most fun. I'd say those of us who like the build would go for a 4wd buggy, while those who prefer to get out there and drive asap would prefer a 2wd buggy. I hope that makes sense.

• Like 2

@DeadMeat666 beat me to DT02. 

If you are coming from on-road, 2WD would give you more of ... er... drifting.  Which is fun.  You don't need to spend a lot of money.  About $150 USD.  

Something like Sand Viper can give you a proper buggy look. 

6CKGm85.jpg

You can go for a short course truck look.  

pcbEskM.jpg

Or you can go for a loopy bear who shouldn't be driving stoned.  

DPSntMv.jpg

There are few other variations.  

If it's cheaper, you can go with DT03 also.  These are easy-going buggies.  Performance isn't anything like competition buggies.  But you can't expect something this cheap to perform at IFMAR level.  But it's lightyears ahead of vintage chassis like Blackfoot, Frog, etc.  It's simple, trouble-free and fun.  It's not going to crawl rocks, nor could it run on knee-high grasses.  A baseball field with some weed would be most suited.  A Sport Tuned  motor, full bearings and some differential putty would be all you need to bash around.  

• Like 5

I believe the Manta Ray is pretty tough out the box and cheap for a 4WD. 

• Like 3

@DayRider there has been some great suggestions here. I definitely THIRD the DT-02!!  I've got the heaviest of the lot, the Holiday Buggy - but it's an absolute BLAST. 😁👍👍  Fast, Nimble, Cheap, DURABLE!! 

TOTAL outlay for mine (in 2016) - in USD..... 

Kit - $87.95.  Bearings - - $8.25.  Hobbywing WP1060 ESC - $22.00.  21 Turn, GoolRC Motor - $7.25. 

And I bought a set of used Traxxas Bandit Dampers (SAME size) - $14.00.  😉   The only "trouble spot" seems to be the Front Bulkhead. You could either, beef it up with Fibreglass or Carbon Fibre... OR, keep a couple of DT-02 B Parts Trees on hand. Readily available and cheap as Chips!! 

OR ~ Want to branch into 4X4 Trucks, quite capable in multiple conditions, but not a full blown Crawler?? 

A Redcat Gen 7!!! "Last Year's Model" but still very available and for what it is - CHEAP!!!  $199 USD, completely RTR - Radio, Stout Motor, even a Battery and a Charger!! 😁  Seriously, if I had 200 bux, I would have already ordered one. 

It's the bog standard Model - but it's NOT Tamiya!!! 😖😜  At that price point, you even get FULL Bearings and honestly GOOD Oil Filled Dampers! 

.... Just a different suggestion Mate! 😉

• Like 2

2nd For a DT03, under £90, with oil shocks, torque tuned motor and tble02s esc. Personally, don't think there's a better value for money! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

2nd For a DT03, under £90, with oil shocks, torque tuned motor and tble02s esc. Personally, don't think there's a better value for money! 

And a 3rd. One of my Devon mates got two for him and his son about three years ago, and on one of our boys weekends (remember them?? :() down there we did some beach car park racing with them. They are amazing things, very good value for what you get and seemingly very easy to fix (we crashed them, a LOT, and he didn't seem to mind!!). They totally lit my fire, which got me into this hobby and this community

• Like 3

I would jump on the DT02/3 bandwagon. Great buggy for cheap. Steel pinion, bearings and go. Just make sure it has CVAs or you are happy to pony up for them, friction shocks are rubbish in these.

Had two DT02s, would happily own another.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

And a 3rd. One of my Devon mates got two for him and his son about three years ago, and on one of our boys weekends (remember them?? :() down there we did some beach car park racing with them. They are amazing things, very good value for what you get and seemingly very easy to fix (we crashed them, a LOT, and he didn't seem to mind!!). They totally lit my fire, which got me into this hobby and this community

Brilliant cars on the beach. A pair of wider hexes for the rear, truck wheel and a paddle tyre ,brushless motor and 3s lipo = great fun!

Although, I'd recommend some kind of sealant around the gearbox casings, covers, and some kind if gasket for the motor, as if sand get a in, the gears don't like it .......

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

If I were in your position @DayRider, I'd seriously consider a DT02. Cheap to buy, relatively cheap to upgrade, quite capable, and can be made to go quite fast, which only adds to the fun factor. To get a 4wd Tamiya buggy to work for you, you'd need to spend more money. 

For example, I poured in around USD 200 extra or so to get my TT02B capable enough to be considered a fun basher. This is not counting the basics plus a brushless setup. 

But then again it really depends on what part of the hobby you find the most fun. I'd say those of us who like the build would go for a 4wd buggy, while those who prefer to get out there and drive asap would prefer a 2wd buggy. I hope that makes sense.

You are right, it seemed like a good idea at the time. thanks for your advise, it looks like either the DT02 or the DT03 is the winner here.

16 hours ago, Carmine A said:

@DayRider there has been some great suggestions here. I definitely THIRD the DT-02!!  I've got the heaviest of the lot, the Holiday Buggy - but it's an absolute BLAST. 😁👍👍  Fast, Nimble, Cheap, DURABLE!! 

TOTAL outlay for mine (in 2016) - in USD..... 

Kit - $87.95.  Bearings - - $8.25.  Hobbywing WP1060 ESC - $22.00.  21 Turn, GoolRC Motor - $7.25. 

And I bought a set of used Traxxas Bandit Dampers (SAME size) - $14.00.  😉   The only "trouble spot" seems to be the Front Bulkhead. You could either, beef it up with Fibreglass or Carbon Fibre... OR, keep a couple of DT-02 B Parts Trees on hand. Readily available and cheap as Chips!! 

OR ~ Want to branch into 4X4 Trucks, quite capable in multiple conditions, but not a full blown Crawler?? 

A Redcat Gen 7!!! "Last Year's Model" but still very available and for what it is - CHEAP!!!  $199 USD, completely RTR - Radio, Stout Motor, even a Battery and a Charger!! 😁  Seriously, if I had 200 bux, I would have already ordered one. 

It's the bog standard Model - but it's NOT Tamiya!!! 😖😜  At that price point, you even get FULL Bearings and honestly GOOD Oil Filled Dampers! 

.... Just a different suggestion Mate! 😉

Nice one mate, I believe we have a winner.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DayRider said:

Nice one mate, I believe we have a winner.

You may want to go for the Sand Viper instead. It will be cheaper than upgrading a Holiday Buggy. Unless you prefer the Holiday Buggy body.

1 minute ago, Biz73 said:

You may want to go for the Sand Viper instead. It will be cheaper than upgrading a Holiday Buggy. Unless you prefer the Holiday Buggy body.

any thing that keeps the dirt out for what i have in mind:D

• Haha 1

Just now, DayRider said:

any thing that keeps the dirt out for what i have in mind:D

Definitely the Sand Viper. I have a Holiday buggy and ended up cutting down a Sand Viper body to make a chassis cover. The Holiday Buggy body doesn't keep much out.

Just now, Biz73 said:

Definitely the Sand Viper. I have a Holiday buggy and ended up cutting down a Sand Viper body to make a chassis cover. The Holiday Buggy body doesn't keep much out.

I was thinking about just now, so it work?

The chassis cover? It works pretty well. You have to cut the Sand Viper body down quite a bit.

• Thanks 1

I'll try to take pictures... On my HB, I MADE Inner Wheelwells from plain Black Styrene Sheet. Used JB Weld Epoxy to adhere it - because NOTHING ELSE sticks to the Martian materials that Tamiya made the Holiday Buggy out of!!!! 😜😂😂😄😂

I would look at @Re-Bugged suggestion too, the Manta Ray. While its a rerelease parts are readily available and cheap since it shares parts with TA01/2 and the Top Force. The aftermarket is good for them too with Yeah Racing making a lot of stuff. Tamiya helpfully offer a hardened prop shaft and alloy motor mount as a pack, add bearings and you're done.  I have the Top Force (and that has a, ahem, few, hopups) but it performs really well, the Manta Ray will be very close to it. It has proper buggy rideheight too unlike the TT02B

• Like 1