TheGarfather

Unnamed Rally car project

So, decided to build a 1/10 rally car with a center differential and belts instead of shaft. Did some thinking and drawing and ended up with this. Based on a Xray XB4 high volume differential. Put the diff case in the lathe and removed the bottom. Made a new out of 6082-T6 aluminum. Used a diff cross pin from Xray X1 so the bevel gear axle could run through the differential. The concept worked. 😁received_325907111973683.thumb.jpeg.6101c46ce524c514ed733914b56b30e3.jpeg

• Like 9

So after some more thinking and drawing I realized I had to make a new and longer endplate for the differential. Same material as before. Two 10x15x4 bearings that supports the secondary outdrives that has two 5x8x2.5 bearings supporting the primary outdrives, a 5mm shaft I made out of 7075-T5 aluminum. 

IMG_20201007_115103.jpg

• Like 7

The layout. Using my TA06 Pro as a donor car. Was hoping to use TRF503 steering but ended up with crazy bump steer. Going to make new one and use the TA06 steering with XV01 arms and hubs. 

The plan is to use shorty packs and hopefully be able to change the layout from front/center to rear/center layout depending on grip. 

IMG_20200929_175853.jpg

• Like 9

Totally cool mod, and very nice designed. Can only guess how many hours you spent from the idea to the first built in!:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting approach! As a rally car are you going to try to enclose the belt-drive?

I'm also intrigued how the belt will serve the front diff, looks like quite a tight angle to get over the motor can?

• Thanks 2

On 10/10/2020 at 8:20 PM, ruebiracer said:

Totally cool mod, and very nice designed. Can only guess how many hours you spent from the idea to the first built in!:)

Try years. Always felt that these small cars was missing a center differential. But with a shaft drive line the chassis can be prone to torque twist, so with a belt and a transverse motor should do the trick. And it's not until now when I got a new job about a year ago that I can actually make this car. I work for a company that makes fighter jets among other things. The equipment and machinery I have at my disposal is beyond anything I've ever dreamed about 😊

• Like 5

On 10/10/2020 at 8:49 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

Interesting approach! As a rally car are you going to try to enclose the belt-drive?

I'm also intrigued how the belt will serve the front diff, looks like quite a tight angle to get over the motor can?

I will try to make it as sealed as possible. An inner shell is the most likely solution. 

Depending on the setup, the belt will go over the motor to the front/rear with the help of some pulleys. 👍

As a Fabricator and Scratchbuilder myself, I'm VERY intrigued!! I'll definitely be watching. 👌

• Like 1

First batch of belts came. So cool to be able to just make a phone call and order the belts you need for a fraction of the price Tamiya or any other brands charge and have them delivered 2 days later 👌

Only problem is that I ordered too short rear belt 😑😑😑

IMG_20201118_185726.jpg

• Like 4

Since I'm lazy and a very big project at work is eating my time nothing much have happened. Rear belt with one of the rollers is in place. Just two more to fabricate and mount somehow. 🙄

IMG_20201214_071857.jpg

• Like 2

Moving the servo to the Center of the car requires a new part for the steering. And since I can't buy what I need, I had to make one 🙃

New on the 👈 Old on the 👉

IMG_20210218_132111.jpg

• Like 1