loco_oso

1.7" Tires?

Does anyone know of other options for 1.7" tires other than Kyosho Optima/Javelin? I know the RC10 uses them also, but am looking for something readily available with good wear for general street/dirt/sand. I've heard that some have been able to stretch Hornet tires over 1.7" wheels but these seem to be out of stock everywhere. Any insights appreciated. 

CRP made some sets for RC10 but these are rare and expensive.

Tamiya Brat tires are 1.7 and may fit your needs.

Terry

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure one of the major race tyre manufacturers started making 1.7s for the re-re Kyoshos.  I think I bought a set to put on my SRB race car but didn't have any wheels that would fit.  Which means I must still have them somewhere.  I will try to remember to dig them out this evening and check, but things are a bit crazy at Chez Ax at the mo and I might not get time.

• Like 1

I just wouldn't bother, I have consigned all my odd sized vintage tyres and wheels to the 'bin' and have fitted 2.2 inch wheels to virtually our entire fleet (10 buggies). They can now all use modern, readily available tyres that are cheaper to buy, come in numerous compounds to suit use (including hard compounds for bashing) and are available in a better range of tread patterns.

We have found that Schumacher mini pins in blue compound (hard) work on all surfaces, last reasonably well and even survive tarmac racing as long as it is damp/wet.

You may need to drop a pinion size to negate the increased tyre diameter but we run them on Thundershot and Avante class buggies and they are a joy compared to stock vintage tyres. If anything handling, tracking and overall performance is far superior to the stock tyres, especially if using narrow fronts instead of the vintage wide fronts.

Quick update - I meant to get into my SRB box and look out those 1.7s last night, but things didn't go entirely to plan (they rarely do in my household :lol: ) so I didn't get to it - I'll try to do it tonight if I can 

• Like 1

Thank you both. I already have the wheels and was looking for something to compliment an Optima clone, so unfortunately 2.2" wheels and tires won't really work. 

• Like 1

search for JCKO4 in modelsport as they fit kyosho optima but take modern tyres as they are the modern size. Probably easier than trying to get tyres to fit your old-school size wheels. only £10 quid for set.

Thanks very much. I ended up being able to purchase some JConcepts 1.7" tires which are now on their way.