Busdriver

Impending Dilema!!!!!

Whilst looking trough my stash of modelling/RC stuff I have realised that once I have finished the Sheridan, painted and learnt how to charge the T3-01 and a few other body swap changes on existing chassis I have nothing left. I have a years worth of 1/48th scale planes and 1/24th scale cars to do but little RC stuff. So now the dilema, Christmas is fast approaching and it would be a wasted opportunity not to purchase something new, but there isnt much in Tamiya land that lights my fire. A Sherman tank would be nice but I really dont have the budget so thats out!!! I've listed below what I like in the hope that it will give me some inspiration.

1 Scale or scale appearance

2 Off road at speed, not a crawler

3 Pick up truck style, not stadium truck

4 Kit

5 Probably 2wd

Ive come up with a couple of ideas but only one matches all the brief.

1/10 Scale Radio Controlled Electric Powered 2WD Truck 2RSA SERIES Outlaw Rampage PRO 34362

This does seem to cover all the bases.

58094-1 Ford Raptor Red

This I love BUT its not a kit

The final choice which is a bit off the wall as doesnt really fit the brief I just like it

top.jpg

The mountain rider is definitely top of the budget and I/m not sure how fast it is and how robust.

Any other candidates?

The Outlaw Rampage really does tick every box on your list - i definitely recommend getting one as its great fun especially with the alloy dampers and roll cage on the pro version (i have the standard white body one but with both of those upgrades fitted) Theres a recent thread running on them.

Then you can always get a moutaineer or bruiser too if budget allows as thats a bit of a Tamiya right of passage that everyone should have at some point even if it isnt particularly capable compared to todays crawlers. Its ond of ghe best overall build experiences though.

• Thanks 1

Element Enduro Gatekeeper with the optional IFS conversion, 3500+ kv on 3s, and your choice of scale body, perhaps?

Yeah, it's based on a trail chassis, but the IFS/trailing arm suspension should improve high speed handling over the 3 link/4 link, and the driveline is perfectly capable of handling the horsepower. Associated kits are nice enough to build, and I've been really happy with my Enduro based trail rig. Just passed 100 trail miles with it. You could do an Ivan Stewart Hilux, for example.

Finally, the Losi Baja Rey isn't a kit, but checks the rest of the boxes nicely, and is a unique and good performing rig.

• Like 3

Those Outlaws are tempting a lot of people, myself included. Just for clarity though, they come 80% assembled, so not nearly as much kit as a Bruiser ;)

I know what you mean, so many times I’ve nearly bought the Mountain Rider and or Bruiser. I’m also mindful the VQS release is imminent.

What you want is one of these:

img33435_25052014190404_1_1100_.jpg

img33435_25052014190404_2_1100_.jpg

Fast off road, scale appearance, 1 driving axle, military but not quite a sherman.

A kit could be a problem, you'll have to speak to Tamiya about that ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I was waiting for somebody to say buy all three!!!

Buy all 3 + a new Tx with a 3 position channel for the transmission, and multi model memory for the Bruiser and 1/14 Trucks to follow.....

• Thanks 1

I didn't even know that Gatekeeper thing existed and now I want one.  Have not really been tempted by rock bouncers before but with a racing pickup body it could be epic :) 

Or the Outlaw Rampage, obviously.  Both seem to fill the same niche.

I have built the Mountain Rider and if you love building then you really have to get one. The most rewarding build ever IMHO, and I have built the 959, an Avante, restored an old 3 speed Hilux and built the King Tiger.

For running I have gone for the Losi Baja Rey. Similar to the Outlaw but 4wd. The Outlaw Pro nearly won the money from my wallet but it looks incredibly squirrely and 2wd is not really practical for a fast truck like that. Check out the Losi. It is a work of art and looks great with the body off. It also looks stunning in the air! 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Traxxas now sells the Slash as a kit: https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/slash-assembly-kit

@njmlondon mentioned the Baja Rey and I can highly recommend that one. My brother has one and it drives like a dream. Miles of suspension travel, plenty of power, and great looks as well. 

I really like the Axial Bomber, but it is no longer available as a kit, and the RTR model I feel is a poor value.

The only other similar models I can think of off the top of my head that are available as a kit are the Tekno SCT410.3 and the TLR SCTE-3.0 

Thanks for all the suggestions. As usual some excellent choices. I I love the look of the Traxxas Raptor which is also the cheapest option as its RTR. The Outlaw Rampage is nearly a kit, at least I could do my own thing with the body. Seems cheap to start with but by the time youve put a decent brushless combo and a 2/3S lipo in it it takes it up the scale a bit. I think the Mountain Rider is out of the frame for now, I'd love one for the sheer building experience but I think I'd be too scared to rag it around. That leads me to probably the most expensive option and thats the Losi Raptor Baja Rey. All it needs is a 3S lipo and its good to go. No its not a kit, no its not 2WD but it is scale like and boy does it handle like the real thing. The videos of it are awesome. So I'm sorry to say Mr T unless you come up with somthing between now and the end of November my money this time will be going elsewhere. Having said that when I next post in "what the Postman brought" don't be surprised to see some thing completely different:rolleyes:

As for @MadInventor suggestion that looks awesome. Does it track steer, front axle or a combination of both. I love the Zimmermit armour panels on the side. Looks like the kind of vehicle that should be in a Captain America film

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

This could be a left-field alternative. It isn’t 2WD but...

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/244058-redcat-wendigo/
There is a running vid at the end of this build thread. Seems solid, can do fast or slow bit parts support will be limited to the US.

Just read this thread. Its just become another possible. I particularly like the Redcat website that estimates import duty and VAT and has the prices in £'s. It doesnt quite have the suspension flow of the Traxxas or Losi but seems to perform well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. As usual some excellent choices. I I love the look of the Traxxas Raptor which is also the cheapest option as its RTR. The Outlaw Rampage is nearly a kit, at least I could do my own thing with the body. Seems cheap to start with but by the time youve put a decent brushless combo and a 2/3S lipo in it it takes it up the scale a bit. I think the Mountain Rider is out of the frame for now, I'd love one for the sheer building experience but I think I'd be too scared to rag it around. That leads me to probably the most expensive option and thats the Losi Raptor Baja Rey. All it needs is a 3S lipo and its good to go. No its not a kit, no its not 2WD but it is scale like and boy does it handle like the real thing. The videos of it are awesome. So I'm sorry to say Mr T unless you come up with somthing between now and the end of November my money this time will be going elsewhere. Having said that when I next post in "what the Postman brought" don't be surprised to see some thing completely different:rolleyes:

As for @MadInventor suggestion that looks awesome. Does it track steer, front axle or a combination of both. I love the Zimmermit armour panels on the side. Looks like the kind of vehicle that should be in a Captain America film

It's just front wheel steer. Front suspension is a sprung frame with a pivoting axle (Like tractor front 'suspension' but on a frame with oil dampers). The drive axle is a king hauler item with modified axle. 540 silver can under the hood. Drifts brilliantly on wet tarmac on 2S, but rips the tracks apart on 3S. 

This was an old vid I took before I built the shell for it:

• Like 1