Golden

Monster Beetle build - front ams and high-point calibration

Not sure if this is the right section - but very grateful for some advice on the above as I’ve just rediscovered Tamiya RC after a 30 year absence... 

I’ve just started to assemble a Monster Beetle re-re, and am a bit confused over a couple of points... all very basic I’m sure(!). 

I’m not sure how tight to do-up the front arm (metal spring rod part of the wishbone) - I’ve attached a picture of step 9 in the assembly instructions - and the part is BA25. The diagram shows the nut on the back as being flush with the end of the screw threads - and I’m not sure if this means assemble so the nut is, indeed, at the end of the screw thread - which leaves a LOT of play and wobble in the hub - or whether the diagram is simply telling me which way round the two components go, and hence it should be tight, albeit allowing suspension travel up and down?

2) I’ve got a Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC, and I’m a bit confused by the set-up instructions (to set the high point on the trigger controller which I have - which is an Absima CR2S v2). The instructions with the ESC say to perform the calibration with the reverse switch flicked into the reverse position - which doesn’t make any sense? Is this applicable - as I’m not sure if this will mean I’ve now set the ESC to operate in reverse - and when I check the travel on the trigger (by checking the green led on the esc) I’m not sure it goes the full length of the travel on the trigger - as the Led on the EAC illuminates green, but then doesn't go out when I fully depress the trigger, which the instructions tel me it should...

I’ve attached a picture of the manual - point 2 of the instructions. 

Very grateful for any help with the above. It looks like someone else had issue no 2 above a few years ago, but I’m not sure what the outcome was when I searched and reviewed that thread....

I’m trying to be sensible with how I approach the build - but am instantly transported back to 1988 when building my original RC Tamiya car.... staying up to 3:30 in the morning doing it!

835447B8-4492-47C3-9BA6-E335C468BC0B.jpeg

18EFDBD8-ADBF-483C-A39E-DF90969C08ED.jpeg

Can't help with the esc but I'm pretty sure the instructions for the radius arm and nut is telling you to tighten into the nylon portion of the nut so it won't back off when used👍

I tightened mine so there’s about 1-1.5 pitch of thread visible (see pic) there is very little play (if any) front to rear with it off car. Once installed the bent metal piece is to stop the front uprights from rotating in or out (towards front and back)whilst still allowing vertical travel, if in doubt, tighten them flush then once the whole front end is assembled check the suspension travels vertically freely and tighten till you don’t have the forward and rear ward rotation.

257A81A3-3370-4562-BBA4-5E06F7D872B5.jpeg

A7D4CD87-3C1B-4AE3-AE56-30293456F87B.jpeg

I have the same speed controller in all my cars and the exact same transceiver (though on a grass hopper) I confess to not reading the instructions and doing nothing other than plugging it all in and then having to switch the throttle from normal to reverse...so it didn’t run backwards :)

other than that I did some steering trim.. but nothing else.

MB is a lot of fun to drive, I run mine on flat ground, very short bowling green style grass.. it’ll corner pretty much flat out, the unloaded front wheel will bounce like a *** part of the fun, I put this down to not having enough droop, when you lift the car off the ground the wheels don’t drop, so when the car rolls slightly it will leave the floor. I’ve chatted on here about it before, and one day may try some mods to rectify, but possibly on a second car so this one can remain original and pretty :)

image.jpg