Sign in to follow this  
DPR250R

New (to me) Tamiya Fox

Hey everyone, 

First... a big thank you.  I lurked a lot to get somewhat caught up before diving back in to the RC world for the first time since the mid 80's.  I made this move in hopes I could share some good times with my son.  So far... so good... he is all in. 

After a lot of auction watching, reading and reminiscing I decided to pull the trigger on a Fox.  It was a car I never had growing up but always wanted.  So far I have replaced all of the suspension arms and swapped out the MSC for an ESC.  Took it out for the first time this past weekend and really had a lot of fun. 

So... the dilemma... to me it is a very nice car and I almost feel guilty driving it.  I would like to preserve what I can since it seems original... gently drive it for a while, restore then put it on the shelf. 

Some questions... 

1. What wheels and tires can be used in place of the OEM stuff? I imagine mostly driving on smooth pavement and baseball fields.  

2.  Can anyone recommend a good brushed motor for this car?  With the stock 540 it is pretty quick.. but I would like something a little bit faster.  I am running NiMH batteries with a TBLE-02 ESC. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

just go with a sport or torque tuned motor, they are inexpensive. 3000-4000 mah battery pack again inexpensive. possibly check out your pinion and change it for a slightly more performance one. thats it. unless u wanna go lipo and brushless and hit the rabbit hole. tires are great u already have for what u described

• Thanks 1

If you stick with the TBLE-02S you are limited on motor. A friend runs a Super Stock RZ in his wigh that ESC but its out of spec for it. Sport tuned is about the fastest you can go, or switch to brushless. A 13.5T with the biggest pinion you can fit would go really well. Just a cheap brushless motor, like a Surpass Rocket V2 or V3, you don't need the latest.

If you switch to a Hobbywing 1060 then you can run brushed motors down to 12T. There are heaps of cheap brushed motors in various winds avaialble, or go for a Tamiya Super Stock as they look great and go really well.

I run 2s lipo in mine, you can get round shaped batteries which fit easily. You get a big boost from lipo, its worth the hassle. In saying that i ran NiMH for about 3 years until the batteries died then I replaced them with lipo. Careful on the capacity of NiMH, the higher capacity the bigger the cells (physical size) so bigger batteries can be a tight fit. I had 3800mah and they fitted but barely. 3000mah would probably be a better fit.

You can switch to 12mm hex on the rear (I assume, I have done it on a Boomerang which has the same fitting as  a Fox as far as I know) which opens up the possibilities for new wheels. The front are a standard bearing fitment so there should be a few available. I use these

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-alloy-wheel-washer-set-thick-5mm-bu-for-1-10-rc-touring-drift-crawler-wa-015bu-00027206

Since the Hotshot series (Hotshot, Boomerang, Bigwig etc) cars have been rereleased you should be able to get the rear tyres and white wheels easily enough. Not sure what else the fronts are used on though. I imagine the DT03 wheels and tyres would all work though 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As Jonathon said above - remove the circular adapters off the rear axles, put standard 12mm hexs on and then you have loads of choices. Fronts are standard tamiya 2wd bearing fit, so dt 02 03, wild one, astute etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi mate, i run my Nova Fox with a Kyosho Le Mans 360PT. I remember racing one in 1985 with my Frog back in the day and the Fox flew.

SO i had to re-create that as close as possible by getting the Nova and the 360PT. I run a lipo for a flat power curve and run time.

Absolute riot!!!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, d325460 said:

Hi mate, i run my Nova Fox with a Kyosho Le Mans 360PT. I remember racing one in 1985 with my Frog back in the day and the Fox flew.

SO i had to re-create that as close as possible by getting the Nova and the 360PT. I run a lipo for a flat power curve and run time.

Absolute riot!!!

Cool! What lipo are you running?

when I research get conflicting reviews of whether a particular pack fits vintages Tamiyas.

One of these will fit. If not available where you are, look for rounded lipo pack with those dimensions 👍

• Thanks 1

I ended up going with a Super Stock RZ @Jonathon Gillham... def made a difference!  I really like the way it looks as well.  Buzzed it around in the grass for a while and it didn't cut out but I didn't really beat it bad.  Also.. I don't have the biggest pinion in.  

So now that the car is moving along... the need for a sway bar has surfaced. Would anyone have a recommendation/lead on where to find one? Would one off of a Nova work? 

Also (to any of the longtime members)... is it cool if I keep editing my title? I would like to keep all the info in this thread... does that break forum etiquette? 

• Like 1

Can anyone help!?!.  Does the Nova Fox gearbox make a horrible clicking, grinding noise when going from reverse to forwards??  I have built one gearbox, had the issue, rebuilt it 3 times, didn’t solve it. Ordered the gear set, gear casing parts and the screw bag and have rebuilt a new gearbox.   Still the same problem.  Only using silver can, stock pinion.   

@RiggsbyUK my Fox does not do that. My sons TT-02B does with a Tourqe Tuned motor.

Only happens on when full reverse to full forward on a high grip surface. I told him not to do that anymore. 

On 11/7/2020 at 10:32 PM, DPR250R said:

I ended up going with a Super Stock RZ @Jonathon Gillham... 

So now that the car is moving along... the need for a sway bar has surfaced. Would anyone have a recommendation/lead on where to find one? Would one off of a Nova work?

I don't think they're a direct drop in. I think you may need the nova front top arms too (as well as the actual sway bar and attendant bits and pieces) but I could be wrong. To be honest, I removed the sway bar off my nova and replaced it with the original period unit. Seems to work better (and looks way cooler 😎). Not sure how easy either of these will be to come by at the minute though. Does improve front end handling though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

I don't think they're a direct drop in. I think you may need the nova front top arms too (as well as the actual sway bar and attendant bits and pieces) but I could be wrong. To be honest, I removed the sway bar off my nova and replaced it with the original period unit. Seems to work better (and looks way cooler 😎). Not sure how easy either of these will be to come by at the minute though. Does improve front end handling though.

I would have loved to find one from the period... but I couldn't.  I ordered the parts bag and cross referencing numbers it "should" work.  Will report back.

Going back to the motor... after pushing it a little harder it... well... stopped moving.  So I assumed I wiped out the tranny.  Ordered the parts... took it apart today to find the tranny was fine... I blew apart the wheel adapters. Yes... I took it apart with the arms and wheels still attached. Rookie mistake... but now I have some spares.  I will need to find a gearbox parts tree now... which works out cause I found my gearbox was cracked. 

I also picked up a beaten Boomerang... being that I am coming into to this fresh without stock of parts... trying to bring these older cars back to life is getting pricey very quickly... but still fun since I am stuck at home. 

Yeah I got lucky with my front bar. Managed to grab one for reasonable money 5 or 6 years ago, not long after the fox was re re'd. I've cracked the gearbox casing in the past too and had to replace the gears. 

I ended up with 2 sway bars... one for the NovaFox and another vintage one.  Will install the vintage and post pics. It looks a little different from what I have seen. 

So yet another question... is the combination of NovaFox cases with Fox shafts that I need to use e-clips?  Meaning.. the case determines whether you use c-clips or e-clips? 

I have NovaFox cases and would like to fit my Fox shafts.  In this scenario I use e-clips? 

Speaking of Novafox gearboxes, how much power will one hold?

Looking to build a Novafox gearbox for my OG Fox and I am wondering how hard I can push my luck.

1 hour ago, Mrowka said:

Speaking of Novafox gearboxes, how much power will one hold?

Looking to build a Novafox gearbox for my OG Fox and I am wondering how hard I can push my luck.

I have a Super Stock RZ on NiMH with 15t pinion on orig Fox gearbox... been fine so far.  

Motor stays cool pushing it hard through short grass... pavement doesn’t seem to break sweat at all.  

The cracks seem to be from age. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2020 at 1:11 PM, DPR250R said:

I would have loved to find one from the period... but I couldn't.  I ordered the parts bag and cross referencing numbers it "should" work.  Will report back.

Going back to the motor... after pushing it a little harder it... well... stopped moving.  So I assumed I wiped out the tranny.  Ordered the parts... took it apart today to find the tranny was fine... I blew apart the wheel adapters. Yes... I took it apart with the arms and wheels still attached. Rookie mistake... but now I have some spares.  I will need to find a gearbox parts tree now... which works out cause I found my gearbox was cracked. 

I also picked up a beaten Boomerang... being that I am coming into to this fresh without stock of parts... trying to bring these older cars back to life is getting pricey very quickly... but still fun since I am stuck at home. 

The stock wheel adapters are a know weakness, they can split/crack just from doing up the wheelnuts, particularly as they get older, There are machined alloy options available on ebay which are a great upgrade

• Thanks 1

Just to follow up... it was e-clips with NovaFox cases and Fox shafts.  

Now... it is shutting off a little more than I would like with the Super Stock RZ and TBLE-02 combo in short wet grass... will be swapping out the esc to the  HW 1060. 

1 hour ago, DPR250R said:

Just to follow up... it was e-clips with NovaFox cases and Fox shafts.  

Now... it is shutting off a little more than I would like with the Super Stock RZ and TBLE-02 combo in short wet grass... will be swapping out the esc to the  HW 1060. 

I haven't used the re-re cases with original shafts personally, but it seems likely that this would be the scenario

• Thanks 1

Yep use re-re g-box with E-clips and you can use original fox shafts or of course re-re shafts .

Original G-box use's C-clips and you can use both shalfts re-re or original . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those who care and who can't find Tamiya c-clips, I have found that Associated 5mm c-clips (ASC81256) are broader, but can made to fit OG Fox shafts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/13/2020 at 4:13 PM, DPR250R said:

Hey everyone, 

First... a big thank you.  I lurked a lot to get somewhat caught up before diving back in to the RC world for the first time since the mid 80's.  I made this move in hopes I could share some good times with my son.  So far... so good... he is all in. 

After a lot of auction watching, reading and reminiscing I decided to pull the trigger on a Fox.  It was a car I never had growing up but always wanted.  So far I have replaced all of the suspension arms and swapped out the MSC for an ESC.  Took it out for the first time this past weekend and really had a lot of fun. 

So... the dilemma... to me it is a very nice car and I almost feel guilty driving it.  I would like to preserve what I can since it seems original... gently drive it for a while, restore then put it on the shelf. 

Some questions... 

1. What wheels and tires can be used in place of the OEM stuff? I imagine mostly driving on smooth pavement and baseball fields.  

2.  Can anyone recommend a good brushed motor for this car?  With the stock 540 it is pretty quick.. but I would like something a little bit faster.  I am running NiMH batteries with a TBLE-02 ESC. 

spacer.png

Nice paint 😜

DC14094E-7491-41B8-94B3-D2E5D4CAA1B2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to follow up on some things and post some pics. 

It looks worse that it is... my backyard is my primary spot tp run it and it has been sloppy most of the fall...

y4mRLyc5WP8mZzE7TlW34ukIsE7XLrhJqYbpGfJH

After tearing apart the trans without checking the wheel adapters (which were the reason why the car stopped moving)... I discovered cracks in the gear cases.  Time to tear it down... 

y4myyExFjEJxxzfc3DXZIzmIdEHy16PVVibP3OKW

y4majHCE7Ph-lNn_Pv8nr178F9as3YTGAtvcrazu

y4mA-TDmzVSl8rimQaP5hxbECyZKKCAeM6VppnO9

y4mXqdUsPwIfp7N5dLqKPFFV8j5pP6-d3xiZxRO0

Plenty of molybdenum left over from  '85...  OG gears holding strong. 

y4mQMz-VTHIB4q2rKGDJAWFd7zTmV1tcrTpSUeGM

My technique for C-Clip removal... 

y4moHPm5-6Y9tnpJ1Ms_knYCorVZ0vojxFIeU4Qg

I am sure there are plenty of places to get the E-clips I needed to fit the NovaFox cases to my Fox but I just bought a Tamiya bag... (I thought I took a pic of the E-Clips installed but I was rushing and missed it)

y4mwBy4oFfc_YrMVqdNaGEQZg5tV3o0M0ap2IN8v

Put the rear together and moved to the front.... 

I bought both a NovaFox and vintage sway bar (not the cool Tamiya one)... decided to fit the vintage one... 

y4ms9WJxZACbx7TLaBGHjgYFac6od_lWdWkkykYJ

y4mLLJdWTRY3Gc34U2p2LsxOWbFdx25bPuOZG6Jo

y4mASfChSmPT1VcFP3FTuVg2t750Mq7T8LbQQiaW

Also... fitted some turnbuckles... 

y4mi0iS7CVKcbGyq5x5dUt2CP18kT9KGPFbhAzT_

y4mHfVEw5-PbthFOgBh3qNTqqVR01gi0736kSNhl

No time to clean the chassis... 

y4mqoWYT00R7GaZQIWS8fWB6N6haw81a68_yiKOR

Just makes me smile sitting on the bench... 

y4mDSEziFym3J7L2GrgDLFS6ifIVnTlL03jRxuvF

The sway bar install and switch to HW 1060 just made the car so fun to drive in my short grass... plenty quick for me with the SS RZ.  She is done for now... on to the RC10GT electric conversion.

Thanks again everyone for helping me get back into this!! 

• Like 4