DrGoatboy

Vintage manta ray hop up or move on?

I have a dilemma. I purchased a vintage manta ray off here a few months back to start my journey back into RC.

61A6DE40-BCFB-4709-8996-93BEB13DAF6B.jpg

It's a lovely thing. Drives great but I don't use it much. I am starting to feel to use it I want to hop it up a bit. Currently runs a brushed 21t but toying with going sensored brushless and adding a bit more power. I recently purchased a ball diff for it and a front one way so I have a few bits to play with already.

But I have a nagging feeling I shouldn't be messing with a very nice example of a vintage car. Maybe I should get something newer to mess about with bad let someone who really would like a proper vintage manta have the car. Maybe get a df03 for example so I can add a slipper and so on and not have to worry about aged plastics or anything.

What's the feeling out there? Shame to waste a very nice vintage car? or stop being precious it's only a manta ray!?

P.s. thanks @matisse I totally stole your photo

• Like 1

You cant substitute the touch of vintage racing. Manta Ray are quiet cheap, so you dont need to be afraid of modifying it up to heaven.

I have 1 1/2 Manta Ray left if you are interested in any more spare parts.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DrGoatboy said:

I have a dilemma. I purchased a vintage manta ray off here a few months back to start my journey back into RC.

61A6DE40-BCFB-4709-8996-93BEB13DAF6B.jpg

It's a lovely thing. Drives great but I don't use it much. I am starting to feel to use it I want to hop it up a bit. Currently runs a brushed 21t but toying with going sensored brushless and adding a bit more power. I recently purchased a ball diff for it and a front one way so I have a few bits to play with already.

But I have a nagging feeling I shouldn't be messing with a very nice example of a vintage car. Maybe I should get something newer to mess about with bad let someone who really would like a proper vintage manta have the car. Maybe get a df03 for example so I can add a slipper and so on and not have to worry about aged plastics or anything.

What's the feeling out there? Shame to waste a very nice vintage car? or stop being precious it's only a manta ray!?

glad you're using it bud!

a load of the upgrades for the Top Force will fit, so there is that route to take if you want.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I have a df01 based buggy. Was never a fan of the manta ray shell so have the terra conquerer one instead.

Have a 7.5 sensored system in mine. Too fast for me at full chat, but with end points set somewhere sensible it is a pleasure to drive. Don't have much in the way of hop ups. Has the aluminium underside front gearbox mount, alu front knuckles and front shock mount and alu prop shaft.

Lots more you could do with these. Defo worth hanging on to and see how far your wallet will take you 😃👍

• Thanks 1

Since you have started buying hopups what about getting a rere Manta Ray or Top Force to use? They are a great chassis and worth the effort, and with a rere you get brand new plastics so they should last a bit better

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, sounds like no serious aversion to hopping up a vintage car then!

Getting a rere is an interesting thought but it would have to bnib for me to consider and nobody has these in stock anymore so I think that's a non starter sadly. 

I saw these in the trade section and did think about flagging them to your attention (thought about buying them myself too, to be honest!)

You will have yourself a nice little hybrid there.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

You will have yourself a nice little hybrid there.

Exactly, this was my first intention when I got this lot. There is a lot of potetial with both Manta Ray, Top Force and the fed spare parts. But I have to admit I am not the Top Force guy, staying the Dyna way of life :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Collin said:

Exactly, this was my first intention when I got this lot. There is a lot of potetial with both Manta Ray, Top Force and the fed spare parts. But I have to admit I am not the Top Force guy, staying the Dyna way of life :D

Ha ha yeah I've seen your dyna thread. Some good skills you have there (not to mention a very nice car!)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Silver-Can said:

Ha ha yeah I've seen your dyna thread. Some good skills you have there (not to mention a very nice car!)

Thanks! I was very afraid doing the same modifications to the Top Force, I think I dont need to explain how much time and money that would have cost. So I sold them for, lets say, safety reason :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Thanks! I was very afraid doing the same modifications to the Top Force, I think I dont need to explain how much time and money that would have cost. So I sold them for, lets say, safety reason :D

I can only imagine! Aftermarket hop-ups are a slippery slope and can cost an arm and a leg as it is. Having the ability and skill to design and make your own parts to your own requirements and satisfaction would be a financial rabbit hole only the brave would descend! I only wish I had both 😁.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DrGoatboy said:

And see what I come up with!!

Thanks @Collin

Seem familiar @matisse

perfecto!

plenty of spares here and you can make this a good little racer with not too much effort.

Bracing the gearboxes is a must, (embrace the need to tap holes) and a good rebuild of the diffs will help too.

if it helps, here's my path through a few DF01's earlier this year. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, matisse said:

perfecto!

plenty of spares here and you can make this a good little racer with not too much effort.

Bracing the gearboxes is a must, (embrace the need to tap holes) and a good rebuild of the diffs will help too.

if it helps, here's my path through a few DF01's earlier this year. 

Gearbox bracing? Tell me more! Not obvious from your build (apologies if being dim). Links to any for sale?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrGoatboy said:

Gearbox bracing? Tell me more! Not obvious from your build (apologies if being dim). Links to any for sale?

There are some custom alloy braces available, Manobet make some as does a guy on a facebook group. But many here have used long screwsd and nuts to fully secure the front and rear gearbox tops, they have a tendency to split or warp.

post below shows how i did it. basically tapped the holes fully through, and used a nut and bolt to secure the top.