teamkitty

boomerang prop shaft upgrade fitment issues

Hey everyone, I just posted this on a Facebook group as well, but wanted to reach out to the experts here at TamiyaClub. I’m in the process of restomodding my original ‘86 Boomerang and just updated a new prop shaft and propeller joints to replace the original twisted wire shaft. I went with Tamiya 9808130 steel propeller joints from the rere Hot Shot and a hop up Tamiya 54501 aluminium propeller shaft for a TT-02 (which I read was a direct replacement for the rere Hot Shot aluminum prop shaft).

The problem is, it’s such a tight fit from front to back that the shaft is crammed so tightly in the joints that it doesn’t turn over, let alone spin freely. The shaft seems to be a mm or 2 too long for the Boomerang chassis. Maybe I misread some forum posts where people say it's a direct swap? I have a rere HotShot prop shaft 3450053 currently on order to see how it compares to the TT-02 part, but wondering in the meantime if anyone else has experienced this?

front.jpg

rear.jpg

full.jpg

• Like 1

The TT-02 shaft is too long , you could grind down the ends a touch Of the shaft and then using a small file , file down the slot in the gearbox cups

• Like 1

Thanks Snappy. Makes sense to me -- I might end up filing down the cup slots after all. I'll confirm the difference in length once I get the rere HotShot shaft in hand.

Interesting note: a lot of the pics I've been finding of old cars with the TT-02 shaft fitted seem to be Thundershots and BigWigs, which apparently have a 2mm longer wheelbase than the Boomerang (and HotShot twins). And that 2mm is exactly how much shorter I need the shaft to be in order to work in my car. I could've sworn I've seen a Boomerang or two with the blue TT-02 shaft installed with no mention of mods to make it fit. Weird. 

• Like 1

I think the difference is rere to original, yours is an original, nice  hop ups too👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

I think the difference is rere to original, yours is an original, nice  hop ups too👍

This sounds right, I've got a Boomerang re:re with the 54501 prop shaft in, and it fits fine end to end, no excessive tension or stress on it at all

The problem I am finding with it is where it runs through that little channel beside the driver figure, there seems to be enough vibration there for the propshaft to rub on the sides and all the blue anodising has worn off! The channel was obviously designed for the much thinner coat hanger shaft that came with the kit, so @teamkitty you might be better off with the (non blue) Hot Shot prop anyway

Yours looks great by the way!

Mystery solved! I got the rere HotShot prop shaft today and it is slightly shorter than the  TT-02 hop-up shaft. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the blue TT-02, silver rere HotShot, and black original Boomerang shafts. 

PS. Thank you both for the kind words on my old car and hop-ups. After putting the car away dirty in the late 80's, I opened it back up around 2006/7 and bought a bunch of period hop-ups on eBay before packing it all back away again. I finally opened everything back up last week, started screwing it back together, and am planning on getting her running again for the first time in over 30 years! And Juhunio, your Boomerang was the inspiration that got me interested in the prop shaft swap in the first place. I just love your car. 

IMG_8841.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, that’s some compliment, cheers!

Sounds like you need a TT02 now, to put that prop shaft to good use 😆

• Like 1

Could anyone tell me , what cup part is it in the picture above that hold tt02 propeller shaft. Ive bought that tt02 shaft for my rere boomerang but realizing late that the kit standard cup/center shaft setting is different >.< .

Never mind, found it in the first post XD. Me and my bad eyes..