Collin

Quotation and tons of pics (again)

Why cant people just quote the text or the one pic where the one detail is on?

Instead some peolpe quote 8 pics and just write under it something like: "well done" or " got the same one".

It is very anoying and somehow against a cultivated use of forum infrastructure.

:huh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am inclined to agree.  We've had a few other bad etiquette examples here over the last year or two - for example, asking a question and then deleting the thread "because the question was answered so I don't need it any more", or posting threads with meaningless titles so you have to open them to see what they're about (a rough made-up example, asking "can anyone help me?" instead of "what size bearing for Astute front wheel?")

However, there was a time when forum etiquette was heavily enforced across the entire internet, and (less so here but definitely on other forums) it became a hostile environment for new users who hadn't had time to learn the rules.  Not so long ago the internet (or at least the useful part of it that contain web fora) seemed to be ruled by an old guard who would actively force out any new blood who didn't know how to quote a post or create a poll.

I'm kinda glad we don't have that here, even if the drawback is that we aren't quick to educate users on the cleanest way to quote text or ask questions.

Add to that - it seems a lot better now, but there was a time when the quote function on TC became horrifically (even unusably) bugged if you tried to edit down a quoted post(even today, when quoting another post, I will scroll to the end and add some placeholder text before I go back into the quoted section to edit, so I don't get stuck in the quoted section and unable to type outside of it, even though this particular bug seems to be resolved).

Perhaps we need a link to a forum etiquette thread?

50,000 + people here and some are just tring to fit in the way they only know how to ask.

Human ring a bell?

My favorite "what the postman brought me" cute title but i bought those parts and the darn post man delivered it to the wrong address so "F" the Post Man.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Collin said:

Instead some peolpe quote 8 pics and just write under it something like: "well done" or " got the same one".

It is very anoying and somehow against a cultivated use of forum infrastructure.

maybe because they don't know how to do it?

Using backspace? :lol:

I agree with @Mad Ax , sometimes editing or writing is a bit weird and there might be a bug also with quotation. But deleting pics was never the big thing for me.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:18 AM, Collin said:

On 10/16/2020 at 3:55 AM, Mad Ax said:

I am inclined to agree.  We've had a few other bad etiquette examples here over the last year or two - for example, asking a question and then deleting the thread "because the question was answered so I don't need it any more", or posting threads with meaningless titles so you have to open them to see what they're about (a rough made-up example, asking "can anyone help me?" instead of "what size bearing for Astute front wheel?")

However, there was a time when forum etiquette was heavily enforced across the entire internet, and (less so here but definitely on other forums) it became a hostile environment for new users who hadn't had time to learn the rules.  Not so long ago the internet (or at least the useful part of it that contain web fora) seemed to be ruled by an old guard who would actively force out any new blood who didn't know how to quote a post or create a poll.

I'm kinda glad we don't have that here, even if the drawback is that we aren't quick to educate users on the cleanest way to quote text or ask questions.

Add to that - it seems a lot better now, but there was a time when the quote function on TC became horrifically (even unusably) bugged if you tried to edit down a quoted post(even today, when quoting another post, I will scroll to the end and add some placeholder text before I go back into the quoted section to edit, so I don't get stuck in the quoted section and unable to type outside of it, even though this particular bug seems to be resolved).

Perhaps we need a link to a forum etiquette thread?

On 10/16/2020 at 7:25 AM, ACCEL said:

50,000 + people here and some are just tring to fit in the way they only know how to ask.

Human ring a bell?

My favorite "what the postman brought me" cute title but i bought those parts and the darn post man delivered it to the wrong address so "F" the Post Man.

On 10/16/2020 at 7:35 AM, matisse said:

maybe because they don't know how to do it?

On 10/16/2020 at 10:14 AM, Collin said:

Using backspace? :lol:

I agree with @Mad Ax , sometimes editing or writing is a bit weird and there might be a bug also with quotation. But deleting pics was never the big thing for me.

Sorry, I just had to do this ;o)

Jx

• Haha 6

35 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

Sorry, I just had to do this ;o)

Jx

Shure,... but where are the pics? :huh:

36 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

[snip]Sorry[/snip] 

ISWYDT :)

• Like 1

Fellas, problem solved. Just saw a new update of this forum software and quotation are shrinked to a minimum size, clicking on it opens the whole quotation.

:)