Bennett Ironman

Anybody Brushless in a DT03 😉

Guys and Gals 

Evening all.....

Is a DT03 and Brushless a recipe for disaster or a recipe for fun....😉 

Hit me with your thoughts 

Regards in anticipation

Bennett Ironman

Fun! It’s a sturdy gearbox, and I think the car handles it well. You might find the extra power leads to breakages though if you can’t keep away from solid objects :D

• Thanks 1

Have brushless in DT02 Sand Viper, same gearbox, it's brilliant.

10.5t with 19t steel pinion gear, tough as old leather.

And if you fancy, I have an esc/motor combo ( Hobbywing Justock 10.5) available?

Forgot to say, you'll probably want to put some sticky weights in the front end, because depending how brutal you go, the front end will certainly spend a lot of time in the air!

Due to the limited gearing options, the DT-02 and -03 are very well suited to brushless power. I run a 13.5t in my Desert Gator and a 10.5t in my Aqroshot. Both work superbly, running fast and cool. I would be happy to recommend them.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:43 PM, Jontea said:

Have brushless in DT02 Sand Viper, same gearbox, it's brilliant.

10.5t with 19t steel pinion gear, tough as old leather.

And if you fancy, I have an esc/motor combo ( Hobbywing Justock 10.5) available?

For sale ?

Bit of a hijacking here, but though I'd ask here vs. starting a new thread. 

Would putting a 17T brushed motor (a la Reedy Radon 17T, supposedly rated at 3600 kv) with either the of the Tamiya 17T or 19T pinions be a bad idea? Looking for speed, but limited by the gearing options. Note, I'm old school and only have brushed motors. 

hmmm its been a while since I used brushed motors. I can't find out how many winds that motor is. I suspect a 17X1 or 17X2 would be ok to start with the 17T pinion. At the end of the day it comes down to a combination of:

Running surface. Smoother = less strain on the motor

Duration of run. 

Heat in the ESC

Heat in the motor

If the ESC and motor temps are reasonable, up it to the 19T pinion.

I currently run a 3300Kv in a DT03 and have run a 4000Kv for a while. Either are a handle and a lot of fun. Weight in the front is recommended :). I even had to mod up a lunch box wheelie bar to try and stop it from becoming a turtle.

Give it a goes and let us know.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LeftyAl said:

Give it a goes and let us know.

I'll report back. I'm waiting for the motor to arrive along with the steel 17T and 19T pinions. 

On 2/16/2021 at 11:07 PM, msgimartin said:

Bit of a hijacking here, but though I'd ask here vs. starting a new thread. 

Would putting a 17T brushed motor (a la Reedy Radon 17T, supposedly rated at 3600 kv) with either the of the Tamiya 17T or 19T pinions be a bad idea? Looking for speed, but limited by the gearing options. Note, I'm old school and only have brushed motors. 

I used to have a 17t LRP brushed motor in my DT on a 17t pinion, and it ran fine, warm but not excessively hot, with plenty of grunt. However it runs faster and cooler for longer now that it has a 13.5t Bluebottle and 19t pinion installed...

• Like 1

I’m running a 4000kv sensorless 5636 (proper one, not a 380 inside) on 7.4v with paddles. Stock diff, dogbones etc. Run for hours and hours and hours. Never had a problem. 

it’s an exceptional beach rail. 

I run the turnbuckle set for awhile but got sick of the balls popping off. Put the solid upper arms back on. I run SS hingepins where possible. Left front u pin in though. 

My aqroshot I keep bending the front stub axles, but it’s the same axles as any other Tamiya truck running 2.2” wheels so not really specific to dt03t. I’ve put aftermarket units on now but not tried them yet. 

• Like 1

Over the weekend, I was able to install the Reedy 17T brushed motor paired with the 19T steel pinion. Haven't had a chance to run it yet. Will report back!

On 10/24/2020 at 3:36 PM, TurnipJF said:

Due to the limited gearing options, the DT-02 and -03 are very well suited to brushless power. I run a 13.5t in my Desert Gator and a 10.5t in my Aqroshot. Both work superbly, running fast and cool. I would be happy to recommend them.

Do you use a heatsink or drill/cut away any of the motor housing or is it cool enough as is?

15 minutes ago, Adbar said:

Do you use a heatsink or drill/cut away any of the motor housing or is it cool enough as is?

I put a 54129 spacer between the motor and the gearbox. Not sure if it does anything hugely useful, but the motors stay cool enough to hold after putting a 4000mAh battery through them, so it doesn't do any harm either. Plus, even though it isn't visible when installed, it is blue alloy, and I know it is there, so it makes me happy. :D

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 5:49 AM, Jontea said:

Forgot to say, you'll probably want to put some sticky weights in the front end, because depending how brutal you go, the front end will certainly spend a lot of time in the air!

how much extra weight you think? i just picked up some sticky weights 

3 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

how much extra weight you think? i just picked up some sticky weights 

You can fit 45g in pretty easily. 2x10g on the deck under the servo, and 2x10 + 1x5g in the nose cone when you build it. 

19 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Is the 45 enough ? 

If not you can always add more

13 hours ago, matisse said:

If not you can always add more

how would you determine if its enough lol?