Chuck Norris

Hornet tyres keep coming off...

Hello all, so i replaced the tyres on my Hornet. They were a tight fit going on, but now seem to come off the rim after just a few minutes. I purchased these from a respected RC shop. Any tips, ideas on what's happening with the tyres/rims and a fix maybe? thanks in advance. Chuck. 

Did you disassemble the wheel when you put the tyre on?  The beads of the tyre should be sandwiched between inner and outer rims.  If so, are the screws tight enough?

• Thanks 1

In theory that should be impossible. The tyre is locked around the bead between the centre of the wheel and the two outer covers.

See manual steps 20 and 21 - https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/hornet.pdf

I've never heard of them coming off before. Are you using a hugely powerful brushless motor in an attempt to send it into orbit?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, davidwj95 said:

Did you disassemble the wheel when you put the tyre on?  The beads of the tyre should be sandwiched between inner and outer rims.  If so, are the screws tight enough?

Good idea, i'll check, thanks

4 hours ago, Chuck Norris said:

Newbie question, how to apply silicone please? 

Fit tyre to wheel first then squeeze silicone sealant out of the tube into the wheel rim where the tyre fits to. 

• Thanks 1

I think I've had this happen once to me in 35 years of using Tamiya wheels and tires.  It was under special conditions where the extremely fine dust at the location I was running was getting between the tire and wheels and acting like little ball bearings, allowing the tire to slide out from between the sandwiching wheel sections.

Side question:  What motor are you using in your Hornet, Chuck?

What I would do:

This whole exercise is to remove all of the fine dust from all parts to help ensure the tires do not pull out from the wheels again:

Unscrew the 5 screws from each of the rear tires.  Do not lose the 5 little nuts on the back side!  They WILL fall out when you are not looking.  Put the nuts aside for now.  Remove the front and rear wheel sections (they just slide/pry off the center wheel section).  Wash them in the sink using regular dishwashing soap and warm water to remove all fine dust.  Dry them and set them aside.  Wash the tires with center inner wheel making sure to clean the tire bead where it goes between the center and outer wheel sections.  Do not remove the center wheel section from the tires (it's a real pain in the *** to do it and put it back anyway).  Dry the tires and remove all water from inside the tire (use a paper towel or small rag (old sock) to soak up the water).   Let everything air dry for 24 hours ensure there is no water inside the tire or use a hair dryer (low/med heat) or fan to dry up remaining water spots if you don't want to wait.

Rebuilding the wheels onto the tires is the reverse of disassembly (look at the Hornet manual, too).  Just need to align the screw holes on each wheel section with the middle wheel section inside the tire.  As for glue, I guess silicone sealant would work (I've never done it).  Dab it on your finger (or small piece of cloth) and smear a thin layer of it on the front and back wheel sections where they touch the tires at the bead, and/or smear it on the front and back tire bead where the wheel sections touch it.  When you press the front and back wheel sections into place, after aligning the screw holes press the wheels all around the tire bead to ensure the tire is cleanly sandwiched between the inner and outer wheel sections uniformly.  This can be fiddly.  The point of this is to make it so that a) fine dust cannot get between the wheel and tire; and b) the tire is adhered to the wheel by the glue/sealant to prevent the tire from sliding out from between the wheel sections.

• Like 2

Here is where I would put the silicone sealant (marked in blue).   You could also put some between the tire and center wheel section (the part inside the tire) but it would be difficult to do and probably not necessary.

tires.PNG.7d15d185809d6fc33774b0d92559cce1.PNG

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chuck Norris said:

Hi, here's a photo. As you can see, it doesn't come all the way off. thanks 

IMG_6330.JPG

Never seen this in all my days, actually impressed!!

Just the same wheel, same side?

10 hours ago, Champ85 said:

I think I've had this happen once to me in 35 years of using Tamiya wheels and tires.  It was under special conditions where the extremely fine dust at the location I was running was getting between the tire and wheels and acting like little ball bearings, allowing the tire to slide out from between the sandwiching wheel sections.

Side question:  What motor are you using in your Hornet, Chuck?

What I would do:

This whole exercise is to remove all of the fine dust from all parts to help ensure the tires do not pull out from the wheels again:

Unscrew the 5 screws from each of the rear tires.  Do not lose the 5 little nuts on the back side!  They WILL fall out when you are not looking.  Put the nuts aside for now.  Remove the front and rear wheel sections (they just slide/pry off the center wheel section).  Wash them in the sink using regular dishwashing soap and warm water to remove all fine dust.  Dry them and set them aside.  Wash the tires with center inner wheel making sure to clean the tire bead where it goes between the center and outer wheel sections.  Do not remove the center wheel section from the tires (it's a real pain in the *** to do it and put it back anyway).  Dry the tires and remove all water from inside the tire (use a paper towel or small rag (old sock) to soak up the water).   Let everything air dry for 24 hours ensure there is no water inside the tire or use a hair dryer (low/med heat) or fan to dry up remaining water spots if you don't want to wait.

Rebuilding the wheels onto the tires is the reverse of disassembly (look at the Hornet manual, too).  Just need to align the screw holes on each wheel section with the middle wheel section inside the tire.  As for glue, I guess silicone sealant would work (I've never done it).  Dab it on your finger (or small piece of cloth) and smear a thin layer of it on the front and back wheel sections where they touch the tires at the bead, and/or smear it on the front and back tire bead where the wheel sections touch it.  When you press the front and back wheel sections into place, after aligning the screw holes press the wheels all around the tire bead to ensure the tire is cleanly sandwiched between the inner and outer wheel sections uniformly.  This can be fiddly.  The point of this is to make it so that a) fine dust cannot get between the wheel and tire; and b) the tire is adhered to the wheel by the glue/sealant to prevent the tire from sliding out from between the wheel sections.

Wow, spot on. I'm in Australia and where I am is very very dusty, super fine. So, that explains it. Thanks for your detailed reply I'll give this a go.  The motor is just the one that came stock. 

10 hours ago, Champ85 said:

Here is where I would put the silicone sealant (marked in blue).   You could also put some between the tire and center wheel section (the part inside the tire) but it would be difficult to do and probably not necessary.

tires.PNG.7d15d185809d6fc33774b0d92559cce1.PNG

Brilliant, thanks so much for your help. I'll do a follow up post when I've done all this.