Bennett Ironman

RC Magazine's 😶

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if there are any RC magazines still in circulation ? Went into WHSmiths other day.... couldn't find any 😐 I am sure their used to be two dedicated to RC cars ?....not interested in digital versions ... prefer actual magazines 

Regards

Used to be model cars and radio race car.  Unfortunately the advent of the internet has left these magazines irrelevant and so no longer in print.  Such a shame as like you I love flicking through a magazine

• Sad 1

I've had a subscription to radio control car racer magazine for as long as I can remember but its suspended its print (the covid excuse) they say they are unable to get it printed? I contacted them because I hadn't long renewed my subscription and they ensured me that it would be going back to print with the November issue on the first of October?........but that day has come and gone!! I did read someone asked the same question and they got the reply December issue first of November so who knows? Shame because it was the last rc car magazine available in the UK (that's if its bit the dust? Hopefully not!)

Sadly printed media has massively declined. Printed magazines that are still going all seem to be printed on really cr*ppy thin paper. 

When I started to get back into the hobby it was really sad that the old titles (Radio Race Car/RCMC) had long disappeared. 

It was a sad day when Dirt, my favourite mountain bike magazine ceased printing. In that industry there's ben a bit of resurgence with quarterly releases that are more like books than magazines (stuff like 'Cranked' if you're in to that sort of thing). The monthlies are still about but they have half the content they used to and again are printed on really rubbish paper. Obviously there's no real ads either...who didn't love thumbing through the shop adverts right?

So on one hand the internet gives, but on the other it takes away :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anybody remember max bashing magazine? It only ran for a few years it was brilliant they had a guy who tested all the off road monster truck ( it was a magazine for off road rc) he was called "gun hoe pro", apparently the guy who ran it was an rc nut with very big pockets but I think it didn't make money and it drained his finances (don't quote me on that it was just what I was told) brilliant mag though!

3 hours ago, Albert Attaboy said:

:lol:

It was published in the era of the hpi savage, traxxas revo etc and "gun hoe pro" was based on the stig!

preview.jpg

17 hours ago, moffman said:

It was published in the era of the hpi savage, traxxas revo etc and "gun hoe pro" was based on the stig!

preview.jpg

Sounds like he was based on Too $hort :lol:

On 10/19/2020 at 4:35 PM, Krustybus said:

Sadly printed media has massively declined. Printed magazines that are still going all seem to be printed on really cr*ppy thin paper. 

When I started to get back into the hobby it was really sad that the old titles (Radio Race Car/RCMC) had long disappeared. 

It was a sad day when Dirt, my favourite mountain bike magazine ceased printing. In that industry there's ben a bit of resurgence with quarterly releases that are more like books than magazines (stuff like 'Cranked' if you're in to that sort of thing). The monthlies are still about but they have half the content they used to and again are printed on really rubbish paper. Obviously there's no real ads either...who didn't love thumbing through the shop adverts right?

So on one hand the internet gives, but on the other it takes away :( 

It's a really tough time, but given the amount of bike industry sales over lockdown we remain ever hopeful that some of the mags at least will survive. The demographic is changing, though. Younger people getting into the hobby aren't looking to mags; they just get their fix online. Even mags like Singletrack has the website - although now they've reconfigured it (bi monthly; not on news stands etc), the mag does at least pay for itself I believe. It seems to me that it's people who grew up with the sport and used to buy mags who still do, but they don't need the short-attention-span wham and pow of the old mags; they're looking more to long form stuff (full disclosure - I write for a few of them: Singletrack, Cranked, MBR etc), hence the thick-papered quarterlies. I think it might be the same for RC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barnoid said:

It's a really tough time, but given the amount of bike industry sales over lockdown we remain ever hopeful that some of the mags at least will survive. The demographic is changing, though. Younger people getting into the hobby aren't looking to mags; they just get their fix online. Even mags like Singletrack has the website - although now they've reconfigured it (bi monthly; not on news stands etc), the mag does at least pay for itself I believe. It seems to me that it's people who grew up with the sport and used to buy mags who still do, but they don't need the short-attention-span wham and pow of the old mags; they're looking more to long form stuff (full disclosure - I write for a few of them: Singletrack, Cranked, MBR etc), hence the thick-papered quarterlies. I think it might be the same for RC.

Absolutely it's a shift in demographic like you say. The younger generation grew up with the internet and not with printed monthly magazines. It's a shame but I totally understand it. 

I'm not sure how the long form style magazine would translate into RC but it'd be fun to see it attempted especially getting behind the scenes with the manufacturers, some real interesting stories there I imagine where you've got the big guys like Tamiya, the small cottage industries  and everything in between.

Whether we ever see anything like that remains to be seen as compared to the bike industry RC is pretty small (I assume!)