Mechanic AH

What's your next Tamiya (or non-Tamiya) RC project kit? And what kits do you have set aside for 2020/21?

My simple RC wish list:

• 313 crawler - Will build this from scratch using steel and aluminum parts from diiferent aftermarket brands. Main chassis will be based on the SCX10 but front motor layout. Probably January 2020
  • Xpress XQ1s - Entry level on-road kit and will eventually upgrade this little by little until it becomes to the spec I want. Around April-May 2020
  • TB-04R - Still on my wish list. Will drive this on the track and will bash on smooth tarmac/parking lot racing from time to time. Most likely Sept 2020
  • Modify my 450 (Walkera V450D03) heli. Upgrade some parts and electronics. I want to get back to flight and improve/develop my flying. January 2020.
  • Wild One (re-re) - Get my RC dream kit I never had in the 80s. Dec 2020 or Jan 2021.
  • Like 5

After taking  advice from the good people on this forum, I will be purchasing either a DT02 or a DT03 chassis. I am still thinking what to use as a power plant but I may just leave it stock. If I do upgrade I'm not too sure what to put in it. Off road kits are new to me and I haven't ever had a go before. I'm trying to keep it as low budget as it's only something to run in the winter months.

I also buy a bodyshell or two to paint for those long spells of bad weather. This year I am going to do two shells the same and design my own team racing colours. I have been looking at alot of racing cars to get an idea of what stands out. I thought of this because of the postal race I have been trying to have a go at lately.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

I was just thinking of some of the NIB/unbuilt kits I have and I always assume I will run out of them before I run of out time. But, I have more to build than time to build them and I don't even have a lot in store :wacko:. Winter is coming and I dread painting during that weather.

I'm curious to hear what everyone's next new kit project is or list of NIB/unbuilt kits in storage? Curious to read what's trending. How many do you have more to go in store?

I do all my painting in doors. It is really cheap and easy to make a booth. Every thing you need to make one you can get free or really cheap. This is all you need:-

X1 cardboard box. ( The largest one you can find),

X1 roll of tinfoil. ( To line the inside of the box),

X1 vacuum cleaner.( You can get one from a second hand shop, the local tip, someone is always getting rid of one),

X1 sheet of see through plastic.( Any that you can see through to use as a window).

X1 old bedside lamp. ( Or a clip on extension lamp. Good lighting is a must and also aids in the drying of the paint).

Step one.

Remove or fold in the lid parts of the box and then line all of the in side of the box with tinfoil, any PVA glue will do. I use one of the glue sticks you can get at a post office. Applying it to the box and then sticking the foil too the inside.

Step two.

Using the plastic sheet of what ever you are using for a window, place this on the opening of the box but leave 1/3 of the bottom open. Anough room to get your body shell in and out as well as your hands so you can apply the paint.

Step three. 

This part is up to your self and is more to do with where you are using your booth. I made a hole at the top of the box and placed the hose of the vacuum. Once you are happy where everything is going, use gaffer tape to support the window and seal the hose in place.

Step four.

Remove the lamp shade from the bed side lamp and place in the box. Using an old sock and a rubber band, put over the end of the hose as a type of filter.

You are ready to go just turn on the lamp and the vacuum. The lamp will help you see if you have the paint covering everything as well as warming the booth so it will dry. The vacuum will draw the over spray on to the make shift filter and keep it from covering everything else working with your window directing away from the opening for your hands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Funny you should ask. I'm waiting on an unassembled M06 NIP chassis (but not NIB, so no body, no wheels, and no electronics) that I won on eBay, to go along with the laundry list of M06 hopups that I had bought already. I'll be starting with that once the VX-01LDS is done.

I'm hoping my Boxster body will fit on this, since I feel a Porsche body deserves better underpinnings than the M02 can offer. If not, there is always plan B. And plan C, D, and E :lol:

I have just put a M06 together, I have been so use to FWD it was a total curve ball, but now I have it set up I really enjoy this chassis and am now thinking of putting a new power plant in it. Finding the right body is hard though.

8 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

This is what my RC landscape is looking like at the moment (which is scary considering I started from scratch in December of 2019!):

image.png.4d4e558d11a689d8cbb5cb48ee7e8f19.png

I plan to have all yesses by the end of the year.

That's of course assuming I don't get any more kits before then. 

No... really.

:ph34r:

• First sign of RC Car obsession = creating a spreadsheet to track cars/builds
  • Second sign of obsession is colour coding the spreadsheet
  • Final sign of obsession as it turns to madness is actually achieving spreadsheet targets.......
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

My collection is complete now,

Balderdash!

• Haha 3

3 of my buggies are on winter storage. my arrma i will use a little more then i want to upgrade it. for 2021 i want a clod buster kit but it wont be a stock build it will have many hop ups.

• Like 1

Simple for me, just doing some changes to my vintage Juggernaut 2 runner so I can fit a Clod Buster shell, and some transmission updates. Pics below are a mock up, working now on making it fit. Nothing fixed for 2021, have a Terra Scorcher kit stashed for a build at  some point, but no enthusiasm to start on it yet. 

SAM_2770.jpg

SAM_2772.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Simple for me,

When Madinventor says "something simple", it ain't :D

for me anyways.

• Haha 1

I enjoyed really reading everyone's post :).

The bad thing is that the more I read people's list I get ideas and I add more stuff to my wishlist.

The good thing is I don't feel as guilty because I don't have as much as most of you :D.

@markbt73 I can't believe you have 70+ static kits :)! If I were to tackle one a month consistently that would take me 6+ years! That's like a few here and there trips to Mars. I think I only have 4 static kits in store.

15 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I think you need to show your hand too! What have you got??!! 

Just started this year so I don't have a collection. I want to build interesting vehicles (since I like the build part) or those that mean something to me, not have any duplicate chassis and keep it to a minimum:

- Recently done: TC-01 Formula E was my first full build and recently finished it (technically I built a Grasshopper for someone and that sparked my interest but it's not mine)
- Almost Done: Kyosho Javelin (2017) just waiting for a wing and had to tackle the driver figure
- Kyosho Scorpion (2014) - building this weekend
- Blitzer Beetle - not really a fan of it but my aunt had a Beetle and I was fond of being a passenger. I want to show it to her when I'm done
- Egress - always admired this back in the day and I wanted a top Tamiya buggy
- Schumacher Cat XLS - this I can't wait to build. I have it and I think I should make sure all the parts are in the box
- Porsche 934 Black Edition - I think this was my first purchase. I like the late '70s Porsche body style, especially the wide body—and it's black
- Kyosho Trail King - it's actually an RTR but I'm redoing the whole exterior and wanted to try it in the winter. The bonus is that it comes with a Kyosho stick type transmitter.
- And, a Yokomo 870c--body only! Lol. I really love this one especially when it has pink wheels and remember seeing it as a kid. Obviously, none to be found and only way is if I live in Japan and find it used--and it would still be expensive. I thought of just doing the body Masami style and pretend/daydream I have one. Lol.

I have a few others of what ifs but it just depends on budget and time. I'd like to realistically give each kit attention and complete them in a timely manner. Trying to avoid becoming a hoarder.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I'm afraid of a rabbit-hole of spending with the big rigs, 

You outa be ashamed,:( now you must not have that mind set, it's a temporary set back, close your eyes and imagine being behind the wheel of a semi-tractor trailer king of the road mighty machine and BAM! start building.

I know, i took the Red pill with the PGH, but ya know, it actually helped make all other builds easier not just assembly but to quickn' the hop up purchase reference and scouring for all the appropriate fit and finish of those particular builds, being this rig can only be fitted with this part and that part but not that part, and that part took that much longer to find, thus keeping my mind and eye out for key words and you know it took some time and now i save hours shopping. So it would of took longer if i never went through the anguish i did with the PGH for all the other builds that followed.

And then of course there's this d a m n  sign.... $.

It's getting harder and harder to find a kit that I really like. I'm far more picky than years ago as I have built all the plastic chassis and Touring cars that I wanted (.........I love Touring cars :-) ). I'm trying to built my kits in very different way now. let's say the car has TB02 chassis then I'm trying to find a TB EVOLUTION 3, usw. Right now I'm building a Raybrig NSX 2002 that was released on a TA04-R  but I have found a TRF414M-WE limited edition chassis. That's on my to do list and the Nissan R91CP group C car with a wheel modification from a F103GT to mount "normal" 1:10 wheels is the second one. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lowspot said:

It's getting harder and harder to find a kit that I really like. I'm far more picky than years ago as I have built all the plastic chassis and Touring cars that I wanted (.........I love Touring cars :-) ). I'm trying to built my kits in very different way now. let's say the car has TB02 chassis then I'm trying to find a TB EVOLUTION 3, usw. Right now I'm building a Raybrig NSX 2002 that was released on a TA04-R  but I have found a TRF414M-WE limited edition chassis. That's on my to do list and the Nissan R91CP group C car with a wheel modification from a F103GT to mount "normal" 1:10 wheels is the second one. 

Yeah I'm on the same page as you I'm finding nothing that I like? With me it's off road mainly buggies and I did have a glimmer of hope with the vqs but that was dashed with the price of it and the pre painted body! an extra £100 (ish) gets you the avante but I have 3 of them so I can't justify another one my hopes are pinned on a optima mid (any mid) to make an appearance?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

• Wild One (re-re) - Get my RC dream kit I never had in the 80s. Dec 2020 or Jan 2021.

YEAH!!! Tops my Dream List! Same reason. 

FF-03, I'm really loving FWD TCs, and this is one of the better ones! Want one so bad, I'm tempted to do another Piecemeal Build. 😲 (which should only cost 2X retail value!!)😖

Clodbuster! Because Clodbuster 😁 

King Blackfoot, I STILL regret having to sell it 😭

Madcap, same as above 😭😢 

M07, just wanted one since the first time I saw one!

Tamiya F-1.... @Fabia130vRS JUST tempted me!! 

Element Sendero Kit, pound for pound one of the best Crawler Chassis out now. 

Can't buy ANYTHING for quite a while.... But barring any catastrophe, next year will finally be different.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

This is what my RC landscape is looking like at the moment (which is scary considering I started from scratch in December of 2019!):

image.png.4d4e558d11a689d8cbb5cb48ee7e8f19.png

Oh mate, this took me back! About a year ago when I started getting really into this and ordered some kits and parts from the Far East, I went crazy with the matching list and ordered every hop up I could think of. To keep track of hop ups, paints, motors etc, I built this:

spacer.png

I've weened myself off it now, the trick being to focus on one chassis at a time :D. It also helps avoid big mistakes, like speccing and buying a madly hopped up TT01 and TT02B that I never built but sold, bit by bit :wacko:

You don't even want to see the spreadsheets where I kept track of JPY prices vs GBP equivalents, and any possible import charges, to justify how much I was saving rather than how much I was spending :ph34r:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

Just started this year so I don't have a collection.

That's still quite a decent collection you've listed! Lots of fun to be had with those 

6 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

- Porsche 934 Black Edition - I think this was my first purchase. I like the late '70s Porsche body style, especially the wide body—and it's black

That's been my favourite build so far, it is a beautiful kit and the body set is gorgeous. Enjoy!

4 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Oh mate, this took me back! About a year ago when I started getting really into this and ordered some kits and parts from the Far East, I went crazy with the matching list and ordered every hop up I could think of. To keep track of hop ups, paints, motors etc, I built this:

spacer.png

I've weened myself off it now, the trick being to focus on one chassis at a time :D. It also helps avoid big mistakes, like speccing and buying a madly hopped up TT01 and TT02B that I never built but sold, bit by bit :wacko:

You don't even want to see the spreadsheets where I kept track of JPY prices vs GBP equivalents, and any possible import charges, to justify how much I was saving rather than how much I was spending :ph34r:

Lots of good info here :lol:. Would you mind sharing the actual sheet? We seem to have many of the same cars on there, and it's good to know what part numbers to look for. 

I have one question though: what are TUNGSTEN screws?

In no particular order:

• A "mk1" Rough Rider I've had in bits for a couple of years now - I'm determined to build it over the next 12 months. The plan is to have 2 bodies for it - 1 will be box art (it's a rare "Bugy" misspelling item so it's got to be good!) and a modified one that will look more like a 1:1 scale buggy.
  • A WPL D12 that I've got literally thousands of ideas for!
  • A body for the M03/4 Frankenstein twin motor beast I've just breathed life into!!!! :ph34r: If it comes out half as good as I can see it in my head it'll be epic! (must work on my modesty for 2021.....)
  • Restore the Century Bell222 nitro helicopter I've had collecting dust for a couple of years
  • At least start painting some of my Gundam models!!!!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Lots of good info here :lol:. Would you mind sharing the actual sheet? We seem to have many of the same cars on there, and it's good to know what part numbers to look for. 

Sure, I've uploaded the spreadsheet to Google sheets

2 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I have one question though: what are TUNGSTEN screws?

Yeah, that'll be an Early Learning Centre noobmistaketypo, should be Titanium :rolleyes: The sheet's probably full of them, go easy...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Sure, I've uploaded the spreadsheet to Google sheets

Yeah, that'll be an Early Learning Centre noobmistaketypo, should be Titanium :rolleyes: The sheet's probably full of them, go easy...

Thank you sir!

12 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

@markbt73 I can't believe you have 70+ static kits :)! If I were to tackle one a month consistently that would take me 6+ years! That's like a few here and there trips to Mars. I think I only have 4 static kits in store.

Heh... Just did a count: 77 total, if you include a couple of airplanes. Ranging from 1/32 Snap-Tite and Airfix kits all the way up to a 1/8 scale Jaguar E-type. Majority are 1/24-1/25 scale Monogram and MPC, but I also have several 1/24 and 1/16 scale Tamiya, Fujimi, Entex, Italeri, etc. Nearly all from the '70s-'80s.

I'm saving most of them so I have something to do in retirement...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Tamiya F-1.... @Fabia130vRS JUST tempted me!! 

Element Sendero Kit, pound for pound one of the best Crawler Chassis out now. 

Can't buy ANYTHING for quite a while.... But barring any catastrophe, next year will finally be different.

I would like the F104W if I would get another one, or the F103GT.

I have the FF03 and love it. Fastest car I have, as my collection is only FWD and RWD, the FF03 went 103km/h on 3s.

with the F1 I hit the most 82km/h on 2s while the FF03 goes 87km/h on 2s

• Like 2