GTodd

TRF 801X Refresh/Upgrade

Ive always been a big fan of 1/8 Nitro.  When I was a little kid I was infatuated with the Burns and Turbo Burns.  When I got back into RC my first entry into modern RC was a TMAXX and then a Revo 3.3.  Once I ran out of upgrade parts for the REVO to alow me to keep up with the growing  1/8 Truggy Class the TRF 801XT was hitting its stride, and I got one.  I fell in love with it and purchased the 801X here a few years latter from Tamiya USA's scrath and dent site.  Powered by a budget LRP .28 and set up based on build articles that were on the Tamiya USA site the 801x and T were competitive right out of the box.  Ive since converted the XT to Brushless, the 801X is and wil remain nitro, I love having both and I dont want to get rid of one of its signature aspects, the tilted engine mount

As you all know Tamiya has ceased development of the 801s, a shame they were REALLY GOOD and rugged, a little over built and complicated (gearboxes for one, accessing the diffeentials are a chore).  Tamiya spares are hard to come by, some day Ill want to maybe shelf this ( I am still running my childhood RCs, now with my son so unlikely) so because of that Ive been on the hunt to find spare to upgrade/modernize the car in order to keep it cometitive and save the hard to find Tamiya parts. 

Here is as it sits, the body is for a MP8 by biddy designs, pre-painted.

Onroad tires for culdesac duty via ebay.

VuXa1mk.jpg

Box of goodies via Amain Hobbies.............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

PfhmrMk.jpg

So whats in there??

A new Throttle servo because I pirated its twin that was serving duty as a steering servo for my black special Clod, Kyosho MP9 front and rear arms (the rear arms feature more tuning options to boot), lossi 15mm shock blatters, and a new Force Painted Biddy body meant for, you guessed it a MP9.  

16ym3Qm.jpg

Here are how the Kyosho hard MP9 front arms compare to the Tamiyas.  The kyosho arms feel like Nylon compared to the Tamiya Carbon reinforced ones.  The Tamiya ones are fine, and give good steering, just wanted to see what I could do. First glance they are near 1:1.  Kyosho offers different leveles of hardness, so opens up more tuning options and the ability to use Kyosho knuckels, CVD, etc.....if they work.

lL9u69h.jpg

1zBp1dR.jpg

A little massaging is all thats needed to make these arms fit.  The area where the Tamiya Hub drops needs to machined a little in order to alow full droop, same for the area next to the screw that controls droop in order to get the same droop as the factory set up. The other areas circled are for the sway bar mount and shock attatchment point, a little massaging is all thats needed. 

sj4tLGV.jpg

After about 5 minutes, vola drop in new arms that open up more tuning potential.

4lSgwAc.jpg

There is alot more to come, stay tuned!

• Like 3

Alright!!! Month lag, apologies back for more refreshing and experimenting to see what parts can keep these beasts going. Of Note no parts are worn out on this, the stock Tamiya parts are going in the bin incase I ever want to back date it and put it on the shelf.  This is to show that Kyosho MP9 parts can be used to aid in tuning potential and keep the old girl running.

Wife and kids are away time for dogs and me to play!!!

BX1TM3b.jpg

Front arms installed, take note Kyosho uses a stepped pin and grup screw to fasten the shocks to the arms, man even kyosho does things a little over the top when not needed, parts ordered.

p47BXma.jpg

Front and rear arms installed!!!! Rears requre the same messaging of the mounting locations for the sway bar and shocks, same number sims needed for the arms! Hub is a drop in but requires one more spacer for adjusting the wheel base.  PS Uber rare motor mount saved, broken screws easily removed!

FfPTpyE.jpg

Close up! Whats awesome about this is that Kyosho has a wide range of hubs to aid in tuning, also the arms are available in various strengths and sifnes like the TRF5XXs aiding in tuning AND they have inserts to adjust the track width, VERY NICE.

sqdjHTU.jpg

Arms are near the same length, mounting holes are the same width apart with the inserts available to adjust track and anti squat even further, very trick .Note the two holes perpendicular to the shock mount location, thats where the grub screws go.

arXeTNg.jpg

Nothing really has changed back here in 10 years, still a very competitive car. And now I know we can still use modern parts :)

L8Pc1Ac.jpg

More to follow!!!

• Like 4

Body trimmed and fitted while the engine and pipe were out.

saGGQsI.jpg

v1q3qcS.jpg

• Like 2

I appreciate you putting some time into refreshing this model and posting about it.  I have an 801X in the box still and have been thinking about building it, so the legwork you're doing is very helpful.

They are great cars! I missed out on the TRF5XXs as I was/am all.in on 1/8.  Tamiya stopped developing it, doesn't mean I have to 😄

THIS IS AWESOME! So pumped this is on this forum, cant beleive no one reply'd Whats that all about then?. any way i have two TRF801XT truggys nib and im currently looking for a 801X buggy, i want to race them this season!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AustinRankin618 said:

THIS IS AWESOME! So pumped this is on this forum, cant beleive no one reply'd Whats that all about then?. any way i have two TRF801XT truggys nib and im currently looking for a 801X buggy, i want to race them this season!

I'll get an update up. It's all set up ready for spring!

• Like 1

Sweet i want a 801x buggy so bad i have three 801xt truggies and they are awesome,

i have been scouting for a 801x used or new for a while, im upset i cant find one. I want one so bad!!

On 1/10/2021 at 11:57 PM, AustinRankin618 said:

Sweet i want a 801x buggy so bad i have three 801xt truggies and they are awesome,

i have been scouting for a 801x used or new for a while, im upset i cant find one. I want one so bad!!

They are FANTASTIC cars, the XT came first and therefore had a longer production run, the buggy is proving to be rather rare these days.