Sign in to follow this  
jonboy1

dual motor issues

I wonder if I could ask a little advice please?

Just for the fun of it - I thought I'd have a go at a twin motor chassis. So thus far I have 2 identical brushless motors with mating ESC's and I've spliced the connectors to the receiver so they go into one plug. On the battery side I've done the same thing, so the ESC's and motors get power from 1 lipo. 

When I power it up the ESC's respond and seem to go through the calibration ok, but the motors don't do anything. I've tried disconnecting the splice to the receiver and disconnecting the corresponding motor connectors so there is effectively only 1 ESC and motor connected (although there is still power going to the other ESC from the battery) and this still doesn't get a response from the motor.

The only thing I can think is that the ESC's and motors don't like sharing the battery, so would using separate batteries for each motor/esc pair work? I can't see any reason this wouldn't work, but I'm surprised it doesn't work with one battery.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

ps: I fully understand there is no point to this setup - I just wanted to do it for the sake of it :) 

I've run triple brushless in my old 6x6 wild dagger and again currently in a 6x6 clodbuster.

I use separate batteries though. 

Are you cutting one power lead from ESC to receiver?. Afaik you have to cut one. It maybe if they are spliced, the receiver maybe getting fed twice?. 

Not more voltage, but fed from each ESC which may cause issues.

• Thanks 1

If you want to run 2 ESCs from one receiver channel, you need to cut or remove one of the power pins, so that only the signal wire goes to one of the ESCs, otherwise you get problems. It may be that you've written them off by connecting the power across them. There's no problem with running 2 ESCs from one battery, did it in 2 tanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the same thing on my clod for a while, when I plugged in one of the batteries, I was getting a spark. I cut the red wire from the ESC to receiver on the one that sparked and that fixed my problem but luckily I didn't kill anything.

it's ALIVE!!! Mwahhhhahahahahahah!!!! :P

Thank you very much @wolfdogstinkus and @MadInventor for your invaluable help - i doth dip my hat to both of you sirs! ;) 

I could do with a little extra help though if I may impose upon your help a little further please?

So, both motors are running, but one is running in reverse, the other forwards. How can I get them both running in the same direction? Is it just a case of switching the leads over?

The other thing, is it possible to program them still?

Thanks again!

Depending on the ESC, there might be a programming option to reverse direction of the motor.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:12 AM, Peter_B said:

Depending on the ESC, there might be a programming option to reverse direction of the motor.

Thanks! Yeah, I thought there should be, but as I've got the 2 ESC connectors joined together (minus 1 power lead) how would the programmer know to send the info to one motor to change the direction and not to the other? :huh:

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

Thanks! Yeah, I thought there should be, but as I've got the 2 ESC connectors joined together (minus 1 power lead) how would the programmer know to send the info to one motor to change the direction and not to the other? :huh:

Ah yeah, I don't think programming would work at all with both escs connected to the programmer at once.

You'll probably have to program each ESC individually. In which case, if there is a reverse rotation setting, you can set it for the ESC that needs it.