esmuz

Matching ESC suggestions

Probably a recursive question, so apologies in advance and thanks for any replay on that topic. 

Car: Tamiya DT-03 full of hop-up parts, as many that I think buying an Egress would have been cheaper. 

Use: Occasional, just for fun, a bit of bashing but nothing extreme, just a way to disconnect.

motor: Hobbywing xerun Justock 3650  13.5T G2.1

ESC: Currently for brushless only the Tamiya TBL-E02S, but not ready for Lipo's ( I have the alarm thing but I don't like it ) and the classic Tamiya aluminium plugs for the motor don't fit the 3.5mm golden banana males of the motor.. so I should have to cut and replace and I am not whiling to do it and prefer to keep it as it is and use it with NIMH + brushed stuff

Battery: Gens Ace 4000Mah 50C Lipo ( tamiya connector )

Soldering skills: Almost none, but watched lots of youtube tutorials, so no skills.

Based on all that data, I was thinking of the natural matching companion, the Hobbywing xerun XR10 justock, which is 60A and uses to be sold together as a combo ( I got the motor new from a guy but half the price ) The thing is, this ESC is not particularly expensive, around 60€, but based on my non competition use I was wondering if I could go for something cheaper, maybe also hobbywing? Would other brands work well too? What about  Hoobywing clones?

This combination seems to be designed to perfectly match together, the esc comes with banana connectors that fit the males in the motor, so no soldering is required apparently, at least esc-motor, and I guess I will have to figure out a way to connect to the tamiya battery. The ESC also claims something I can't understand about TimeZero.. 

Any suggestions on what should I go for? 

Thanks!

There are 2 types of brushless motor. 

Sensored

Sensorless, 

Any esc should run any motor provided they are both sensored or sensorless.  

Like you say, you just got to solder a battery wire, that's easy enough. 

Is it motor timing that you don't understand?. Most brushless motors can have their timing adjusted through the ESC, if you are running 2 motors in opposite directions, then you need to set the timing to 0 to get them to spin at the same speed. One motor runs forward, the other backwards, so they need to be timed equally to run synchronised.

For instance, one motor could run 10° retarded as long as the other was 10° advanced. 

• Like 1

Manufacturers often say that the e ESC and motor are matched, but this isn't abput performance, its about having an ESC that can handle the motor (amp rating) and in this case the plugs match.

The Justock ESC is good for stock racing, but not ideal for bashing as it doesn't have programmable timing (turbo and boost). I would look at the Hobbywing 10BL120 which is cheap, can handle motors down to 4.5T and is programmable. You may need a program card too to program the ESC. You can then program the ESC to add in timing to the motor at certain points which dramatically increases the performance. Just watch the temperature of the motor.

There are a few ESC that are cheap and would work for you. The HW 10BL60 or 10BL120, SkyRC TS120, Trackstar Turbo 80a ESC are some of them

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions, interestingly the HW10BL60 and 10BL120 are not much cheaper than the Justock one.. just 10€. But if you guys say tue turbo and boost stuff is nice to have then you must be right! 

The trackstar turbo is tempting, really cheap at hobbyking. 

And the SkyRC TS120 looks pretty nice, I've got their charger and it works very nice. 

Let's see what I finally get. 

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Manufacturers often say that the e ESC and motor are matched, but this isn't abput performance, its about having an ESC that can handle the motor (amp rating) and in this case the plugs match.

The Justock ESC is good for stock racing, but not ideal for bashing as it doesn't have programmable timing (turbo and boost). I would look at the Hobbywing 10BL120 which is cheap, can handle motors down to 4.5T and is programmable. You may need a program card too to program the ESC. You can then program the ESC to add in timing to the motor at certain points which dramatically increases the performance. Just watch the temperature of the motor.

There are a few ESC that are cheap and would work for you. The HW 10BL60 or 10BL120, SkyRC TS120, Trackstar Turbo 80a ESC are some of them

I found a HW10BL120 second hand with 2 months of drifting use for 30€ and a Trackstar Turbo 80a combo with the trackstar 17.5T motor included for 30€ ( both ESC and motor look pretty used but the owner claims it works perfectly )

What would you go for? 

HW 10BL120

Pluses:

1.  it's 120A instead of 80A 
  2. As fas as I understand it can be programed directly with the set button, so no need at least at the beginning to buy a programing card.
  3. HW seems to be a better brand, with more customer service and updates than Turnigy. 

Cons:

1. No motor included
  2. it's been used for drift ( is that bad? )

Turnigy Trackstar turbo 80A

Pluses:

1. It includes a brushless 17.5T motor which can be even better for bashing and general use than my 13.5T one. 

Cons:

1. It needs a 15€ programing card to squeeze it
  2. Looks pretty used, and crappy solderings

Am I missing something? What do you guys think?

Thank you.

If this helps, I've just received one of the cheap no brand 120amp ESC's from China, the blue ones...

I am very pleased to say that it works on my old hobby wing program card. 

Not tried it on a motor yet.

Got some soldering to do..

Punch already set to 9... Lol

• Haha 1

Well, I finally went for the Hobbywing 10BL120.

I was looking for an ESC matching my Hobbywing motor,  and I feel it's a better ESC than the Turnigy..

We'll see! Still any opinions are more than welcome about my choice. 

• Like 1

I do like hobbywing stuff but they recently rose out of my price range (I need 3 for the clodbuster)

But I did have 2 hobbywing ESC's when they first came out, must be 10 years ago and they both still work.

2 hours ago, esmuz said:

Well, I finally went for the Hobbywing 10BL120.

I was looking for an ESC matching my Hobbywing motor,  and I feel it's a better ESC than the Turnigy..

We'll see! Still any opinions are more than welcome about my choice. 

I would've gone for that one too from the options.  Newer is better.  I find ESC's last me 1 - 2 seasons in an offroad racer before giving up and thats pretty common.  The shocks from jumps and (mis)landing and the dust and dirt just wears them out.  I would expect drifting to be ok for an ESC as there are less crashes.

Also, 17.5T is great if you can gear the car correctly but I'm pretty sure the DT03 has limited gearing options.  You need a low FDR (ie, big pinion, small spur) for a 17.5T motor so I doubt you'd be getting the most out of it.

• Like 1

Good choice,

I've a few of the 10bl120 esc's, and they've been faultless.

2s/3s , Run any motor Sensored or Sensorless, down to 3.5t (4.5t off-road), programmable and fairly cheap, apart from better boost and turbo control, I'm not sure what else you'd ever need in an esc! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I would've gone for that one too from the options.  Newer is better.  I find ESC's last me 1 - 2 seasons in an offroad racer before giving up and thats pretty common.  The shocks from jumps and (mis)landing and the dust and dirt just wears them out.  I would expect drifting to be ok for an ESC as there are less crashes.

Also, 17.5T is great if you can gear the car correctly but I'm pretty sure the DT03 has limited gearing options.  You need a low FDR (ie, big pinion, small spur) for a 17.5T motor so I doubt you'd be getting the most out of it.

Then I guess having a 13.5T ( as I have ) it's even worse? I am using a 19T pinion, no idea about DT-03 spur.. 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:08 AM, esmuz said:

Then I guess having a 13.5T ( as I have ) it's even worse? I am using a 19T pinion, no idea about DT-03 spur.. 

A 13.5T is often the sweet spot for Tamiya's with limited gearing.  I suspect around 8.5T - 10.5T will probably be bang on, but the 13.5T will go ok.  I run my 17.5T at around 5 FDR, with 2.2" wheels.  The DT03's are smaller which means you need a lower FDR, but it just means the motor won't be very stressed.  

• Like 1

I would also consider two general laws of relativity of time and space.   

(1) The longer you have driven, the faster motor you'd want.  (that's not always true, 1980's Wild Willy 1 has the old school 540, and it still feels fast)  My first buggy was the Grasshopper. I thought Hornet was blindingly fast. Now, 540 is slow...  If I competed in races and improved my driving skills more, even 10.5t wouldn't be satisfying.  However, I run in my backyard, so my skills stay limited... Sport Tuned and 13.5t are powerful enough to attack tree roots with, in my case.  

(2) The motor grows relative to space.  Even a 370 motor seems really fast (in my living room).  But Dancing Rider turns into a snail when I take it outside.  

It all depends on your driving skill and where you are running it.  Considering the growth factor, I think 10BL120 was an excellent choice.  If you got a 13.5t for half the price, why not run it?  For most residential streets, even Sport Tuned is fast enough, until your driving skill gets better at weaving through parked cars or you find a wide open space to run.  

• Like 2

Great advices, I really appreciate it guys. 

I love this place! 

• Thanks 1

Even if you have more motor than skill (for the time being)  some transmitters let you limit the throttle settings until you learn to handle the power.