Re-Bugged

Highway to a Knight Hauler.

Nice work re-Bugged, looking good. Keep it coming, I’m looking forward to watching your progress. These trucks are heaps of fun! Once you’ve built it I bet it won’t  be long until you are tempted by all the tasty aftermarket goodies online....it’s endless! (But fun :D:ph34r:.......

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, committed to painting the chassis. The more I looked at the odd piece I’d done the more I liked it. Very durable paint 1 tin should do it and only $8.40.

E4D4C90B-0C67-457D-87E6-34E0288C9508.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Put the rear diff’s together, lots of nice metal in there rather than plastic to take the strain. I used a the end of a Kebab Skewer to dob the grease into crooks and crannies to avoid that hair that always manages to stick to the end of your finger and find its way in there. I’ve left the drive cups off for now so the diff’s can get a coat of the same colour as the main chassis.

I bought the Ball Bearings from where I got the Truck from, and these have a Metal shield on one side & Rubber Shield on the other. I’ve never seen that before. I wonder if the Bearing guru @Juggular has either?

4199DB8A-B53B-4EF2-B15F-FC95D7C79F87.jpg

FFE94B62-0503-4E3D-A3C6-ADD8BFB08E8C.jpg

22668D07-69F5-4EF1-88E2-8A4FD278AFEE.jpg

D25ADD6D-F158-414D-B2B9-B6D6822B66E7.jpg

• Like 10

Oh, how did I miss this thread! 

lol... I thought of myself as a bearing fetishist who strip them down to bear balls (I'm speaking of mechanical devices, not anything biological. Just to be clear, I don't swing that direction. Not that there is anything wrong with that). But guru is more family-friendly! Thank you for that.  I came across it by accident. Some were mixed in with my order.  I thought it was a defect. But later, I found that they were also selling, "rubber and metal shield" bearings.  I figure they were for moderate-dust-high-speed applications.  

Cool bookstand, by the way!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Juggular said:  

Cool bookstand, by the way!  

Thanks, it ‘used’ to be my wife’s recipe book stand in the Kitchen, but I repurposed it. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Thanks, it ‘used’ to be my wife’s recipe book stand in the Kitchen, but I repurposed it. 

HAHA , is that a new word for , " you stole  it"  to use and now , She has been looking for it for months . But of course

you have know idea where it is :lol:. .  But it is a great idea . 

• Haha 2

She shouldn’t need anymore @matman, she’s had enough practice to be able to cook without the instructions by now 😉

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

. I used a the end of a Kebab Skewer to dob the grease into crooks and crannies to avoid that hair that always manages to stick to the end of your finger and find its way in there.

well a great man once said a little dab will do ya;):lol::lol:

• Haha 3

On 11/9/2020 at 9:15 PM, Re-Bugged said:

Well, committed to painting the chassis. The more I looked at the odd piece I’d done the more I liked it. Very durable paint 1 tin should do it and only $8.40.

E4D4C90B-0C67-457D-87E6-34E0288C9508.jpg

I see you've got the Squirts :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Had recent case of the squirts again @berman to get the small fiddly bits etc coated. Fortunately they seem to pass quickly which was a relief 😅 

I’m much happier with the more uniform look it’s given the chassis painted than a mix of the shiny and semi flat appearance straight from the box.

The infamous Kebab skewer came into play to help out again making life a lot easier.

E5199F44-AC54-4D1D-8A72-6F3CBD2E3499.jpg

With that done I could get on with putting the front end together.

5541E863-29CE-49C1-BD9B-5D18A878068B.jpg

Just a note to anyone else embarking on a Truck build, don’t over-tighten the shackles that hold the rear of the Leaf Springs as they need to move for the suspension to work properly. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another quick note, one major hurdle that has held me back from a Truck build is I was concerned about the dreaded Buyers Remorse from a fairly substantial initial outlay. Glad to say that hasn’t happened. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Another quick note, one major hurdle that has held me back from a Truck build is I was concerned about the dreaded Buyers Remorse from a fairly substantial initial outlay. Glad to say that hasn’t happened. 

That is whats holding me back, even an Avante is too expensive for me for what would amount to a shelf queen and these trucks are next level. Great looking build though

• Thanks 1

Looking great re-bugged! Keep it coming....

Jonathon, I too umm’d and ahhhh’d for many months before buying a truck due to the price. I must say though, it’s been worth every cent and is such a fun and different way to enjoy rc. My only problem now is trying not to keep purchasing accessories :)....ah well, someone’s gotta do it!

These trucks are tonnes of fun and a very rewarding build. I also like the fact you can add to your set up when funds allow and at your own speed. It was a while after building my truck before I could afford a trailer. Adding the trailer meant even more fun! Also nice to build something that is pretty much infinitely customisable.

in short, if your funds allow at some point, I say go for it. You won’t regret it.

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

It was a while after building my truck before I could afford a trailer. Adding the trailer meant even more fun! 

I keep envisioning making up a B-Double trailer set from 2 of Hercules Hobbies bare 40’ skeleton’s as you can add containers, fridges or ISO containers to them later. It would mean having to change the 12 super single wheels (& axles) to 12 pairs of duallies for the proper look too. 

Trouble is though Tamiya threw a spanner in the works there by playing their Super Champ/Fighting Buggy trump card re-re soon on me didn’t they, and I think the trailers will still be around long after the FB.

I would also have to check with the local builders merchants that they have a long enough piece of timber for a shelf to put the whole thing on as well. 

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

these trucks are next level. Great looking build though

The brief moments I do get to sit working on this are an absolute pleasure, (hope that still rings true once it comes to painting the cab though 😅). It’s definitely more about the build experience and there’s a lot more of that in these things 😃.
  With all the metal bits and nuts and bolts it almost feels like a sort of Meccano set. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

My only problem now is trying not to keep purchasing accessories

Once these kits are delivered, it's hard not to do.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wetman said:

@Re-Bugged how does the GT Power mfu shape up? 

I was actually quite impressed when bench testing it. It was largely plug and play. I haven’t played around with it to much but one thing I couldn’t seem to do at this stage is with the turn signals turned off it still makes the ‘click click’ sound as if they are still on even though the lights not flashing.

I really enjoy the start up and engine idle and sound. It’s sounds better in reality than any YT vids I’ve watched.

For the money I’m not complaining, I bought the Flysky GT5 and the GT power unit for less than the Tamiya MFU on its own.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I was actually quite impressed when bench testing it. It was largely plug and play. I haven’t played around with it to much but one thing I couldn’t seem to do at this stage is with the turn signals turned off it still makes the ‘click click’ sound as if they are still on even though the lights not flashing.

I really enjoy the start up and engine idle and sound. It’s sounds better in reality than any YT vids I’ve watched.

For the money I’m not complaining, I bought the Flysky GT5 and the GT power unit for less than the Tamiya MFU on its own.

Yeah I saw them on timetunnel models, then saw you`d used one on this build so thought i`d get an opinion on them. Cheers for that, it looks like another option to add into the pile then. Might actually make a decision and start building by next christmas at this rate :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wetman said:

Might actually make a decision and start building by next christmas at this rate :D

I know what you mean, the decision is always the hardest part 😉.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but the GT came with an XT60 plug already on it too, which was a bonus for the LiPo battery I planned to use with it. 

• Like 1

Rear axles now fitted...

image.jpg

You may have seen the Gearbox on another thread with my concerns about the Bearings slipping out as J7 moves back and forth. Sorry for jumping around a bit but I thought I’d better add it in here to where it belongs.

CA5DE59B-2F20-49A1-88F7-ACC34F0E03EB.jpg

I have opted to leave the Bearings in part J7 instead of bushings.

B224C840-F207-45BD-B13F-6CCCB4594A5E.jpg

My thinking that Tamiya advices against this in other Truck manuals (but no such warning in this one) is that,

1, Bearings are designed to spin, not slide as necessary in J7, 

2, I suppose the supplied Bushes are softer than the shaft so would wear before the shaft does. With the Bearings centre being harder could wear the shaft prematurely.

But considering the low mileage I’ll be doing then I dare say I will get other issues long before the gearbox gives any trouble. Seeing it all working smoothly I’m happy to leave as is. But I’m also happy to hear any feedback good or bad if anyone has any, it’s always appreciated in an open minded approach 😉.

J7 before the Bearings were Super Glued in place with just a couple of spots, and making sure the centre still spun freely

6D0D410E-4254-45F9-83B2-251C570C6005.jpg

8830A195-B64B-4DD8-B4A1-29C8E8989CC6.jpg

All sorted and assembled with a 55t motor in place.

2ED50321-B794-4C9C-83D8-A8371433DB1F.jpg

One of these is a first for me and was very interesting & enjoyable to assemble. 

• Like 6

Nice work Re-Bugged, glad you got it sorted. Don’t ask me how but I managed to strip the thread in the pinion gear on mine during assembly...and it was during lockdown with no spares available  in NZ....anywhere! Glad you didn’t do that! Fortunately I managed to drill and tap a new hole in the same pinion and it’s still hanging in there so must be ok :D.

Hope the rest of the build is going well, good fun aren’t they. Looking forward to your next update.

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 1

I’m still a bit undecided on body colour/s, and I’m keen to get the chassis tied up.

So today I sprayed the back of the battery/tool boxes to match the chassis.

I’m on the fence about the Fuel tanks... same colour as the chassis leaving the chrome straps around them, or colour coordinated with the body?

Or just leave them as is. How does the chrome fair over time is the question...

7F51CC1E-509F-4FBB-ABB8-565D84EDA0B0.md.

C289FA4A-B032-43D9-A8C0-8EFD0C6C03CC.md.

• Like 2

While the paint was drying on the tool boxes, of which I didn’t realize that there is the slightly bigger tool box in the kit that accommodates the MFU control panel, and the hardware to assemble it.

Now at this point I searched on the big wide web for some insight into how it goes together.

An hour later and I find it....in the back pages of the manual 🙄.

The GT Power unit face plate must be slightly narrower than the Tamiya one as it didn’t sit tight inside the toolbox between slots at the top & bottom.

I then set about scrounging around the house for something to use. A bit of clear plastic seem to work out.

It doesn’t look much but there is a fair amount of fiddling around to get this little box together.

Feeling good though making some progress on this. I was thinking I would like to paint the bottom edge of the Chrome Step that marries up to the front wheel arch the same colour as the body, but I’m  now wondering about maybe touching on the edge of the wheel arch with a Chrome pen🤔

The bigger the project the more decision one has to make.

0A05640B-94E6-4071-9621-A60FAD08600F.jpg

CF82B74B-9A7A-4D9B-BF57-790529E074E6.jpg

• Like 4