Re-Bugged

Highway to a Knight Hauler.

Belated Happy Birthday @Wetman

Nice present 👍🏻 

I just had a quick look at the instructions, I can’t see any mention of trailer connections or anything on the trailer legs? 

I think @Juls1 has experience with these so might be able to shed some light on trailer connections with a GT Power unit?

• Like 1

Good to see this coming along re-bugged, you are doing a top job mate.

@wetman, I look forward to your Scania build too!....nice!

Regards

Kurt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Feels good to finally get some paint on this thing.

I’ve been giving Montana Spray Paint a try. They read similar to Dupli-colour automotive Acrylic paint. Very happy so far. Nice & thin coats are possible just like a Tamiya rattle can. The Metallics are particularly nice. I wasn’t going to go Black on this but after seeing  how deep the Metallic Black was with a coat of clear on it I might just have use a bit somewhere on it. I got some transparent colours to play around with before I settle on a final decision on the paint job. So I’ve given it a coat of Metallic Silver for a base as the Primer was clear.

9260E111-6308-4572-9FDD-BB0CE663A73D.jpg

55F51854-3A71-4035-BF7D-66ABFB4A9CB6.jpg

This was about 4 coats, details still showing fine.

This stuff lays on beautifully, drys very quick though. It’s as smooth as glass to the touch not long after applying. No orange peel at all. 

• Like 2

Had a bit of an inconvenient hiccup with this 🙄,  all was fine and dandy until I took the masking off after adding some Black.

4A8339A4-8FA1-4A06-84D8-6023A4297C56.jpg

So I tried some tape on other places to see if it was worth savaging, or just strip it and start again as I intend to have some Blue sections on there too. Paint also came off elsewhere so then came the unfortunate latter option.

Nuts.

I ended up using Brake Fluid & a Toothbrush to get the bulk off, spaying with some Brake Cleaner helped get the sludge off as well. I then cleaned up the remainder with some Isopropyl Alcohol to get the whole thing ready for round 2.  The Highway to a Knight Hauler took a detour down the Highway to badword momentarily. S*** happens I suppose.

Today was a good day for spraying so I'm now back to where I was weeks ago again.

095102B6-A8AD-4EC2-872A-AE7363933D99.jpg

Originally I was going to paint the Truck Orange, if there are any more surprises with this paint scheme it may just end up that way. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nick G said:

ouch ! did you prime it before the silver went on ?

Nick

Yep, followed everything as I normally do. Just didn’t work out this time. Just one of those things.

Perhaps I should just leave it Silver this time as it’s growing on me 🤣😂

• Like 1

Took the plunge laying on some Blue once the masking was done,

fullsizeoutput_1326.jpg

Deep breathe, and on it goes..

fullsizeoutput_1325.jpg

Moment of truth, did the Silver stay put this time??

fullsizeoutput_1324.jpg

Yep, and breath again, all good 👍🏻

• Like 6

Very sharp mate! ..........I like blue trucks :)

Gonna be great to see this one complete.

Cheers

Kurt

• Thanks 1

she's looking :wub: so far can't wait to see it with the clear coat on 

what clear coat you gonna use 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, topforcein said:

what clear coat you gonna use 

I’ll be using Dupli-Colour Clear coat as I’ve had the best results with it so far 👍🏻

What an awesome build! - and thank you for going into such detail - I fear I've been inspired to build something with three axles myself now!

Jx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about the mishap, mate! But glad you're trucking on (My dad jokes are here all week) with it and not admitting defeat! Love the blue and silver together! 😎

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 6:43 PM, berman said:

Sorry to hear about the mishap, mate! But glad you're trucking on (My dad jokes are here all week) with it and not admitting defeat! Love the blue and silver together! 😎

It's all good, these things happen from time to time. Love a good Dad joke, and there is no such thing as a bad Dad joke either despite what my kids say 😂

My Dad said once, when I'd cut a piece of timber to short,  "A **** up's not a **** up until you can't get over it"

At least a bit more progress was made today, and the paint seems to be staying put for the time being. This time I opted to stick the masking tape to the worktop then pull off before applying it to the Truck to take a bit of the sticky off.

So far so good with the Montana Transparent I used for a bit of fading.

RfkrusoaTpm46Sxo4W3Y1g.jpg

jYpJFcRn2IB80HrXgOg.jpg

I've got a bit more design I'd like to add before I can put the clear coat and all the other shiny bits on. But I'm also tempted to call that it rather than tempt fate again 😬

I must get some more of those bravery pills.....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It's looking nice! Three colors, your scaring me. I have troubles with one coat. It looks good and good luck. Keep posting.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 6:29 PM, Re-Bugged said:

My Dad said once, when I'd cut a piece of timber to short,  "A **** up's not a **** up until you can't get over it"

When I started getting into Tamiya as a child, my dad used to say: "When I was a kid, we had a bit of 4x2 to play with, and that would keep us entertained for hours!"

😂 

Truck is looking great bud, really admire your multi coloured paint jobs 😮

• Thanks 1

Cheers @berman 🍻,

I can’t print decals (but I know a man who can), and a tin of paint is easier and cheaper to get round here than Hop-ups to make something look a bit different.

I should have bought shares in Masking tape though before doing my Sand Scorcher & this one 😉

• Haha 1

I feel like I’m kicking goals now adding some Metallic Black 😃

071C4B52-2E44-4B3F-AFBD-385C3ED5BF5D.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

Very nice looking. I like how this is turning out.

Thank you 👍🏻
I’m very happy with it to, I was close to painting it Orange at the start and then again after the little hiccup as I’d seen a nice Freightliner trawling the net researching.

That should be all the tricky stuff out the way so hopefully I can just get on and enjoy the rest of it when time allows now. 

HOLY *******!!!!! 😲😁

How did I miss THIS!? I'm enjoying this, and sad I missed most of it. I'm STILL going to follow this with interest, because I'm SURE this journey won't be ending any time soon. 😉 

@topforcein your Rig looks INCREDIBLE!! That Blue is gorgeous. 🍻👋👋👋👋👋👋

UNLIKE several of you, I haven't debated over whether or not to get a Big Rig.... It was a 23 year eternal HOPE, that someday I could afford one. Thanks to a rather large Inheritance, that day has finally come!! 😁  I just got a Grand Hauler yesterday - with a BUTTLOAD of Hopups and Accessories, with more coming! To me, it's literally like a dream. 

NOT to go on a Threadjacking spree(!!!), but I just started a Thread on my Grand Hauler build in this Section... 😉 

I'm truly hoping that I can actually add something of Value for everyone. Whilst I was Dreaming the past couple of Decades, I've been reading Articles and Books - for the past 10 years, I've been watching MANY Videos on YouTube about Big Hauler Builds and Mods.... Which work - which DON'T. 

And.... About a Sound/Light/Power System that BLOWS away the GT Power And the other simple systems - and at least twice as good as the Tamiya MFC-01!!! 😳  It does everything that the MFC-01 does, PLUS is Lipo compatible, and not only does it NOT limit you to only one Engine Sound - but it's included Software lets you install any of 35 DIFFERENT Diesel Engine Sounds!! They can be modified to simulate up to 14 Shift Gear/Rev Down-Back Up sounds through the Throttle range. 

AND, different STARTUP Sounds! Cold/Rough, Cold/Stall, Warm!! 😳 

It can also play MUSIC or any Voice/Sound Recording you like on a separate Midi Track, controllable by your 6 Channel Radio! (Even a $50/£32 FlySky!!) 

The BEST part. The complete Kit only costs less than $270.00!!!! 😁  Only $170.00 (USD) if you use your own ESC, and just want the Sound and Lights System!! 

And - it's Smaller than a MFC! And sounds way better.

It's made by Beier, and has good ratings, although fairly new. (The MFC-01 is virtually UNCHANGED since 1998) 

I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. I DO NOT GET ANYTHING FROM THEM. I'm just absolutely excited about it. 

I don't want you to take my word for it... Here's an introductory Video... 

And here's the first in a new, still developing Video Series on HOW to use/Program the system.

If you subscribe to his Channel - which is also VERY informative on everything 1/14th Scale Tamiya Semi Truck, more Videos will follow. 

I myself will be installing one and documenting it on my Thread... As soon as my Laptop arrives. 

My Friends, I know that was a WHOPPER of a sales pitch. But I really believe in it. It's a cheaper, BETTER Truck Control System than anything I've seen or read about! 

THREADJACK DONE!! 😜

• Thanks 1

GOOOOOOOOAAALL!! 

That truly looks fantastic. 👍👍 Definitely up to your usual Standards!! 

Fortunately for me, I'm only doing two colours - Metallic Black with a Gold Stripe (and that's all the Hint I can give now!)😜😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

GOOOOOOOOAAALL!! 

That truly looks fantastic. 👍👍 Definitely up to your usual Standards!! 

Fortunately for me, I'm only doing two colours - Metallic Black with a Gold Stripe (and that's all the Hint I can give now!)😜😂

errrrr cold that be a snowman special;)

hobbie concepts is a great channel but he does miss out a lot of content in his builds another great u-tube channel is terri wilde plus matteo has done a grand hauler video also you will like

thanks for the complement on my grand hauler i love that colour took me ages in the automotive paint supplier's to choose

i have installed a fibre optic dash and alloy wheels since 

• Thanks 1