Re-Bugged

Highway to a Knight Hauler.

35 minutes ago, topforcein said:

errrrr cold that be a Snowman special;)

Hobby Concepts is a great channel but he does miss out a lot of content in his builds another great u-tube channel is terri wilde plus matteo has done a grand hauler video also you will like

Thanks for the complement on my grand hauler i love that colour took me ages in the automotive paint supplier's to choose

I have installed a fibre opticย dash and alloy wheels sinceย 

..... And the young Man wins a Cigar!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ย  ย I'm going to be lighting my Dashboard with LEDs and Light Boxes, scratch made... But you've just added an idea๐Ÿ’ก Some Fibre Optics for some smaller Dash Switches!! Thank you my Friend!!

Matteo and I have been Friends for over a Decade. Good Man! His Videos are always comprehensive. This Build.... I'm going about 10 steps beyond what Mr. Meyer usually does! ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

I've gotten some good ideas from Terri Wilde as well. Particularly in Suspension and Steering.ย 

Bob (Hobbyconcepts), does glare over things a bit too fast, and RARELY zooms in. ๐Ÿ˜–ย  Getting past that, he's got a ton of information about things not often addressed by the others. You just have to watch more than several Videos to get that "eureka" moment - but invaluable information IS there!ย  Just don't ask him to change how he does Videos... We are both Old Farts - but unlike me, he's a STUBBORN Old Fart! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜œย  Unlike the two previously mentioned above.ย  Seriously, he requires a bit more attention, but it's worth it.

MY challenge is to take what I've sometimes painfully learned from Him, and make it more palatable and understandable for those here, and on my YouTube Channel.

Thread jacking @Carmine Aย ?? Not like you at all ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿคฃ, just pulling your leg mate, itโ€™s all good๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Thanks for the info on the Beier system that looks great.

Congratulations on your windfall finally arriving thatโ€™s fantastic and must be an incredible relief,ย Iโ€™m still waiting for mine to come from some long lost relative in Nigeria I never knew I had according to some past emails to come to fruition.

Enjoy your Truck build,(and everything else you fill your cart with now!!)ย ย Iโ€™m certainly enjoying mine, if your after something for a build experience these are definitely the way to go ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

• Haha 1

I learned a few more things.... The USM-2 is a Sound and Lights only System. All the great functions of the complete Module - but for the cost of adding a Hobbywing WP1080 or 1060 ESC - you'll save nearly $100 USD!!!ย 

Does everything but Motor Control. On a 6 Channel Radio, it still has TWICE the features that the MFC-01 has - only $169.95 USD!!!! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ย  I'm getting THAT.ย 

Mate, after the Videos that I've seen and reading through the Beier Manual... When the Bank of Nairobi let's you get a second Truck - I couldn't recommend this more! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ย 

Of course I'll do a FULL Review as soon as I get it installed.ย 

..... And yes, after 11 years of living like RATS, and being PUNISHED for it, the weight of the World has indeed been lifted! โœŒ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

Operation PAYBACK will be starting soon. Good thing that list of People who helped us is VERY short. ๐Ÿ˜งย  I was literally Happier when I bought my Mate in West Midlands a new Tamiya Kit - than I was buying my Grand Hauler!! Seriously.ย 

I am going to LOVE this Build! Possibly my biggest Kit challenge yet, but by God I'm ready. ๐Ÿ’ฏ My Alumininium Wheels should be here today. Would you believe that the thing scaring me the most is PAINTING THE DRIVER!!?? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Everything else I've done in one way or another over the course of 27 years and who remembers how many Kits. (At least up to 2011) The two I built Piecemeal over the past 2 years gave invaluable experience! I recommend everyone try it at least once.ย  Cheers!!! ๐Ÿป๐Ÿป

• Like 1

Sorry to repost but just looked at your paint job again and I really do like the scheme/look of it. Nice,ย once again!

Any updates?

• Like 2

Thanks very much @Tamiya Fan 1ย ๐Ÿ˜ƒ, no apology needed mate. Iโ€™ve been flat out and will be for a couple more weeks at least yet so Iโ€™ve only managed to get the body polished up once the the clear coat had cured properly.

I took this photo the other day...

7F512152-3B84-4EF3-B38E-8DD53E9FAA55.jpg
ย 

ย 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Freaking GORGEOUS!! Such rich colour. In the past 19 years, I've done so many inside painted Lexan Bodies.... Maybe I should also be worried about the Paint on the Grand Hauler as well as the Driver...ย spacer.png First ILL attempt on the Driver. Hopefully I can get him more presentable.

(Not that I can take it anywhere... There's NO Truck Layouts OR even Meets in the Southwestern U.S.) ๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ญย  ย This is just for my own pleasure and satisfaction. I've waited so long, I just want her to be RIGHT.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2021 at 4:54 AM, Re-Bugged said:

Thanks very much @Tamiya Fan 1ย ๐Ÿ˜ƒ, no apology needed mate. Iโ€™ve been flat out and will be for a couple more weeks at least yet so Iโ€™ve only managed to get the body polished up once the the clear coat had cured properly.

I took this photo the other day...

7F512152-3B84-4EF3-B38E-8DD53E9FAA55.jpg
ย 

ย 

That's just gorgeous! So looking forward to seeing this finished. Beautiful work mate! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I managed to grab an hour or two to do a bit of detailing to a few bits and pieces.

While Iโ€™m not adverse to the lashings of chrome in the kit Iโ€™ve decided to dilute it a bit so itโ€™s a little more in keeping with the look Im trying to achieve.ย 
ย ย  ย 
I started by colour coding the mirrors to the same Voodoo blue as the body.ย 
ย ย  ย Adding a bit of the โ€˜Transparentโ€™ Black to the visor the same as the stripe on the sides.ย 
ย  ย  Thenย Blacked out the Mirror arms and centre of the chrome trims that run along the bottom edge of the cab.

BB8E5EF0-C677-487C-B50E-2FA83472DD69.jpg
ย 

Itโ€™s the little details that can make a big difference overall. Just hope itโ€™s a good difference once it all gets bolted up.ย 

• Like 3

It IS the little Details!!ย  That should look great.ย 

Mine involves less Chrome stripping, because the 1970's.... Just the Air Cleaners, really.ย 

Yours will fit your theme beautifully! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Thanks 1

Some chrome is nice but it can really be to much some times. RE: Knight Hauler lower half. Good choice and I love the Voodoo Blue!

Thanks @Tamiya Fan 1, I was consideringย colour coding the fuel tanks initially but then the tool boxes might have looked a bit odd without them being fully painted too. And to think that the Voodoo blue only really came about because of the previous hiccup with the paint and having to strip back and start again. Kinda worked out well in the end.

ย 

Still slow and steady cab trims now fitted along the lower edge...

F45E3768-74F6-49AB-9649-F98320980EA7.jpg

• Like 4

Sounds like a happy mistake! I'm really loving the Voodoo Blue... Might use it myself on a future Build. ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

Your work on the Trim is BRILLIANT!! The Truck has nice lines, but you really brought it to another level. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Thanks 1

That's a nice touch with the strip, looks good. Your more of a painter than you think. What I did on my Knight Hauler, (to much chrome) was to leave the tanks chrome, paint there straps, painted the bottom rail body color, and the little rear tool boxes flat black. That breaks it up so it doesn't look like "Mr. T's" necklace on the lower half. (in Chrome)

Your doing nice work on the look. Can't wait to see it done.

Question and it may be above. How long did you wait before re-mask and re-paint between colors, dry time? I have issues with tape marking the paint it is protecting. leaves like a coating that is in the paint? (ย Permanent)

Keep it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree. You are quite a Painter!! ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹ย 

On mine, I'm borrowing something from RC Aircraft. ๐Ÿ˜ฒย  The Air Cleaners on Cletus Snow's Kenworth are black, but with Chrome Straps. Since it's nearly impossible to strip the Chrome from everything BUT the Straps...ย 

I'm simply Stripping all of the Air Cleaners, then for the Straps - stick on strips of MonoKote Chrome! It's a super thin, shiny Chrome, self adhesive Covering for Balsa Wood Airplanes. Very easy to apply, and a Heat Gun makes it lay perfectly flat and smooth. It will even conform around tiny Details with Heat applied!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ย 

It's something for you to consider, if you just need subtle Chrome accents.

• Thanks 1

In hind sight @Tamiya Fan 1ย I think actually filling the holes where that chrome trim goes and leaving it off completely would have been better and give it a more modern feel. But to late for that. I hadnโ€™t really allowed for the width of the trim when I added the Metallic black but not to worry now as Iโ€™m still pretty chuffed with it.

I tend to leave a coat for a minimum of 4 days before masking and adding another colour. But the tape on the inside had been on for weeks and left some residue that came off easily with a wipe of some isopropyl alcohol on a soft cloth.ย 

• Like 1

I think the trim will look good, no worries.ย 

The tape marking I get seems to chemically reacted with the paint and looks filmy. I have used Wd-40ย  and wax to make it better but not a 100%. Never liked spray painting. I do it because, well I have to but not easy for me some times. (impatient) Will get a good look eventually though.ย 

Thanks for the tips. I will try isopropylย alcohol next time. Do you think that would hurt Tamiyaย TS lacquer paint?ย 

Hummm, without seeing the tape marks my guess is the paint hasnโ€™t cured properly? And is that with using Tamiya masking tape?ย ย A hairdryer is a good friend between coats too especially if the weather is on the cooler side of warm. I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s just my imagination but the paint always seems to be a bit more glossy once itโ€™s had 5-10 mins of a medium heat from the hairdryer on it.

I donโ€™t think the Isopropyl alcohol would affect the Tamiya paintย ย with a light touch. It can strip paint if left to soak for 10 minutes or more, but thatโ€™s if itโ€™s covered over or in a sealed container as it evaporates very quickly otherwise.ย ย I tend to use Dupli-colour most of the time on hard bodies as itโ€™s more accessible,ย a wider choice of colours and more in a tin.

ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little more towards finishing this evening in the way of fitting the aftermarket exhaust stacks, Iโ€™ve noticed that some KHโ€™s are missing the top half of their stacks due to them being in two pieces so these nice shiny aluminum one piece ones should stay as they are meant to. Colour coded mirrors also fitted, and I had a few dramaโ€™s getting the painted section on the visor right and on the side returns but is OK now. The visor isnโ€™t screwed on yet as the lights arenโ€™t in thereย yet. A job for tomorrow maybe in the daylight.

4D7C6F58-EE65-4B11-BD9A-563E3E0E3D6D.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Carmine A said:

HOLY $#@%&!!!ย  That looks GREAT! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

^^^ what he said ;)ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Ladies & Gents, without further ado may I presentย the finished article (for now at least!!) powered up,ย lit up,ย and feeling pretty chuffed with this one under my belt.ย 
ย 

7EA8A5A9-8970-4857-8656-EB8AD1BFFE39.jpg

DDE8AF0A-ED66-4341-927B-B10526BBC99D.jpg
ย 

2F7F11ED-9187-4C82-9B74-4600917A51BB.jpg
ย 

What an experience this has been, itโ€™s had its ups and downs but thankfully all came together better than I could have wished for in the end.

I couldnโ€™t get the smile off my face driving around the lounge, happy days ๐Ÿ˜

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

that's really beautiful - gotta be the nicest one out there. Looking forward to seeing the matching trailer!! ;)

ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1