merlinh

will tt01 parts work for ta01

i have the SCHNITZER BMW M3 SPORT EVO on the ta01 chassis before the moved to the tt01 and i was wondering if tt01 part would work for hop up  

Welcome to TC :)

Which hop-up parts were you considering?  Shock absorbers are 55mm on both cars and the fitment is the same, so shocks for TT01 will fit on the TA01.  Standard electronic stuff like motor, ESC and servos will fit as these aren't car-specific.

Otherwise, you'll find pretty much everything is different and I doubt any parts would be interchangeable without significant modification.

Hop-up parts for the TA01 can still be found, depending on what you want to do.  Basic 'essential' mods are bearings (rcbearings.co.uk do a TA01 bearing kit) and a steel pinion.  IIRC most TAs came with oil-filled shocks but if it's an early car they may be past their best.  If yours are leaking or not moving smoothly, Tamiya's CVA shocks (part number 53619) are a direct replacement.  You might be able to rebuild your shocks with fresh oil and new rubber o-rings.

TT01 diffs won't work - the transmission is completely different.  However TA01 diffs are still available, both original and aftermarket.

I think most TAs has a ball diff in the rear and an open gear diff in the front.  For easier reliability you can run a gear diff in both ends, and add some putty if you want a limited slip effect.  That said the regular ball diff is reliable enough if assembled and adjusted properly.

It looks like you already have a hopup propshaft installed - I may be wrong but I thought all standard props had a rounded hook type end.  If itn's not a hopup it could be an early one?  Anyway, there are various aftermarket options for these too.  Jazrider for example make an aluminium propshaft.  The DF01 (buggy chassis) uses the same transmission, so diffs, gear parts and propshafts are interchangeable.

An aluminium motor mount is also a good buy for a TA01 - the plastic mount can crack if you're running over rough terrain.

3 hours ago, merlinh said:

i have the aluminium motor mount. do you know if anyone makes metal gears for the diffs

Metal gears fitted as standard 

Gear diffs metal,spur and counter gears plastic, except for the idle(!) gear which is aluminium.

The plastic spur gears are better in plastic 👍 change the idle gear to plastic too as the aluminium wears and mixers with the grease to create a abrasive paste wearing the spur gear. 

TA02 changed to all plastic and there's a speed tuned gear set that's worth getting. Can't remember the part number 🙄 

Swap the pinion to steel as well 

Edited by svenb

14 minutes ago, merlinh said:

ok thank you. do you know if the ta02 gears will work 

Yes👍

53127 speed tuned gear set 

On 10/21/2020 at 9:13 AM, merlinh said:

the diffs and replacing the coat hanger of a drive shaft  i have hobby king shock absorber

IMG_0126.jpg

Interesting custom chassis there. 

18 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Interesting custom chassis there. 

I believe that is an early HPI, from back in the days when HPI made hop-ups.

I have one on my Top Force Evo.  It appears to be identical to the one above.  The friend who sold it to me said it was what Jamie Booth used in the early Top Force days - I meant to find Mr. Booth at the Revival this year and ask him about it but, well, I didn't

On 10/29/2020 at 12:04 PM, Mad Ax said:

I believe that is an early HPI, from back in the days when HPI made hop-ups.

I have one on my Top Force Evo.  It appears to be identical to the one above.  The friend who sold it to me said it was what Jamie Booth used in the early Top Force days - I meant to find Mr. Booth at the Revival this year and ask him about it but, well, I didn't

I have no idea about the the chassis i got the car from a family friend. i only put the electronics in it

It depends on what TA02 parts you're thinking about.  Gear cases and gear internals are the same, as you can use those.  Suspension arms are different, so if you put TA02 arms on you will change your wheelbase.

This showroom entry shows a comparison between the various TA01/02 variants:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=48983&id=2193