Sign in to follow this  
DPR250R

Is a Boomerang a good candidate for refresh and run?

The next car on my list that has a special place in my heart is the Boomerang. I would love to pick one up and turn it into runner. 

The reason I am bugging you all before just diving in is parts availability. 

My goal is just to build a fun runner... does not have to be made from 100% vintage Boomerang parts. 

Is there enough out there for this to happen?  Suspension arms for example... from what I can tell they are not available from Tamico. 

Keeping in mind that I am willing to search and pay for compatible parts but I do not have the ability to make them myself. 

Thank you all for any guidance/help! 

If you're planning on restoring a basket case spares are really rather scarce at the moment. A quick look at Ebay reveals no boomerang rear arms at all in the UK. You'll probably find a similar situation with most vintage cars. And buying 2 old cars to make 1 good one doesn't work either, because you'll find the same parts are broken or worn out on both of them. You're better off looking for a pre-restored example, or something more modern that has stock in your country.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

If you're planning on restoring a basket case spares are really rather scarce at the moment. A quick look at Ebay reveals no boomerang rear arms at all in the UK. You'll probably find a similar situation with most vintage cars. And buying 2 old cars to make 1 good one doesn't work either, because you'll find the same parts are broken or worn out on both of them. You're better off looking for a pre-restored example, or something more modern that has stock in your country.

Yup... exactly what I was afraid of and the advice I was looking for.

It sounds like I better either pony up for a nice Vintage already built or a new re-release. 

I bought a well used Boomerang back in 2003, I bought a lot of replacement parts with the idea of bringing back to it's formal glory.

I stripped it completely down, replaced all the worn parts, fitted all metal bearings etc. It has been in the loft since a few weeks ago, I was surprised how much work and money I had spent on it.  Just need to go through it and will be up for sale.

17 minutes ago, dougan1963 said:

I bought a well used Boomerang back in 2003, I bought a lot of replacement parts with the idea of bringing back to it's formal glory.

I stripped it completely down, replaced all the worn parts, fitted all metal bearings etc. It has been in the loft since a few weeks ago, I was surprised how much work and money I had spent on it.  Just need to go through it and will be up for sale.

I am in the US... when ready feel free to shoot me pics and a price... thanks!

Many of us are sitting on NIB Boomerangs, I would suggest getting a new one if you can, far tougher plastics that aren’t brittle and aged

• Like 1

I'm currently in the process of getting my original boomerang back on (and off) the road. I put it away dirty in the late 80's, took it back out around 2007 to strip,  reassemble, and put it back in the box, and just last month brought it out once again for it's second lease on life. I found everything I needed to get it running again, and am in the process of picking up some new electronics to finish it off. I can't wait to get this boomer running again and hope you end up getting one too. 

10 minutes ago, teamkitty said:

I'm currently in the process of getting my original boomerang back on (and off) the road. I put it away dirty in the late 80's, took it back out around 2007 to strip,  reassemble, and put it back in the box, and just last month brought it out once again for it's second lease on life. I found everything I needed to get it running again, and am in the process of picking up some new electronics to finish it off. I can't wait to get this boomer running again and hope you end up getting one too. 

I did glance thru that thread... looks like it is coming together nicely! 

Hello 

I have rebuild my old boomerang this year. It stay me the paint of the body to finish ( "good" activity for own new confinement period..)  

When you don't find parts on a classic seller same Tamico, ebay is your friend !

Front arms for boomerang 

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/New-Tamiya-F-Part-Tree-Boomerang-Hot-Shot-Super-Hot-Shot-Front-Arm-9005867/224131964877?hash=item342f4e5fcd:g:DxkAAMXQLs5RuyiQ.

2 hours ago, theplumber said:

Hello 

I have rebuild my old boomerang this year. It stay me the paint of the body to finish ( "good" activity for own new confinement period..)  

When you don't find parts on a classic seller same Tamico, ebay is your friend !

Front arms for boomerang 

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/New-Tamiya-F-Part-Tree-Boomerang-Hot-Shot-Super-Hot-Shot-Front-Arm-9005867/224131964877?hash=item342f4e5fcd:g:DxkAAMXQLs5RuyiQ.

Thanks for sharing!! 

I am leaning towards a DF-03 for now... will most likely go for a Boomerang next.