Mechanic AH

Advice on M-02 and TL-01 chassis? Worth it?

First of all, I apologize for the newbie questions (I don't have much Tamiya RC experience). I was looking up some older Tamiya chassis (from the '90s?) and an M-02 and TL-01 got me curious. I'm aware there are newer/updated chassis that are designed better/can perform better. However, there are some bodies/shells that I like from before and if it's possible or worth it, try to keep it original—instead of just getting the body and fitting it onto a newer chassis. And from what I see, some bodies/shells can't be bought anymore unless I buy an actual kit. But maybe it's not worth the hassle? 

So here are some of my questions:

- What do you like about these two chassis?
- Are they still worth considering today? Or are they somewhat irrelevant chassis in the Tamiya spectrum?
- Are used M-02/TL-01 worth considering or will I struggle hunting for parts (scarcity and price)?
-  Are there big issues with these two chassis? For example, I read somewhere that the M-02 has some fragile parts that can easily break. So one concern there would be finding spare parts. 
- If I don't upgrade the parts, is it recommended to just keep the motor stock, etc.? 
- And are they worth what sellers are asking for? I see some of them are kinda pricey.

Any experience, thoughts, advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 1

If you are looking for a m chassis, like the M02, there can be on ebay some interesting stuff, most M02 I saw are with all optional parts that Tamiya offers, but if you are looking for something to drive around the car parks... I would not consider the M02 as it is really outdated. M03 onwards is what I would go for.

I got my M02 from a club memeber only because his Abarth body was wrecked and I managed to find and order a new one. So it could be for my collection time correct lets say.

I am now looking for the Abarth Asseto Corse it was released on the M05 chassis, and body shell or kit with that body shell is really rare. 

ad for the TL01 is would be a better choice plenty of parts out there.

Sometimes it takes years to find the body shell you want in new condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I concur with @Fabia130vRS..... For a cheap parking lot brawler, it's hard to beat a M03! 😉  I regretted selling mine, and will get another if I can. 

For building up, I've seen a scant few M02 Hopup parts.... But M03, although nearly 17 years old - there's still a plethora of replacement and Hopup parts available, and pretty cheap!! 👍👍  

I've heard that the M02 has Handling issues that are difficult to sort out.... If those are the only two choices you have, the TL-01 is definitely the better Chassis as a starting point. 

And from what I've seen of your Work - you may be new to Tamiya... But you're DEFINITELY not a N00b by any means!!! 😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

......I am now looking for the Abarth Asseto Corse it was released on the M05 chassis, and body shell or kit with that body shell is really rare.....

Is that the Old Fiat 500 Abarth, with the Engine Cover that HAD to be fixed permanently OPEN because of the bonkers Engine fitted?? 

If so, I'd LOVE to get one of those myself! I'd definitely hunt for a Repro Body though...  There's a guy in Canada who's remolding and selling Repro Tamiya and Kyosho Bodies, at reasonable prices! 😊 

He's even got the 1982 Tamiya Porsche 959 Body , which an Original is about the price of URANIUM!! 😲😳  He's selling the Reproduction for $39.95 USD!

57 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Is that the Old Fiat 500 Abarth, with the Engine Cover that HAD to be fixed permanently OPEN because of the bonkers Engine fitted?? 

If so, I'd LOVE to get one of those myself! I'd definitely hunt for a Repro Body though...  There's a guy in Canada who's remolding and selling Repro Tamiya and Kyosho Bodies, at reasonable prices! 😊 

He's even got the 1982 Tamiya Porsche 959 Body , which an Original is about the price of URANIUM!! 😲😳  He's selling the Reproduction for $39.95 USD!

link to guy?

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Berlina Corse is the old Fiat abarth as seen in the video “Racing by post”.

this is the Asseto Corse

img418_16112009024035_1_1100_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

@Fabia130vRS  and @Carmine A thanks guys! I guess I'll keep looking. By the way, I'm assuming the M-02 can house newer ESCs? Like a simple Hobbywing Quicrun 1060?

Yup. I have one in my M02

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Berlina Corse is the old Fiat abarth as seen in the video “Racing by post”.

this is the Asseto Corse

img418_16112009024035_1_1100_.jpg

Ahhh! So the Berlina Corse would be the one I want. 😊  Thanks!! Ever since I saw Jeremy Clarkson presenting it on Top Gear - I've wanted that Body!!!  Being RWD.... I'd wait until I can afford the new M08. THAT'S a spectacular Rear Drive M Chassis!!! 😁👌

42 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

@Fabia130vRS  and @Carmine A thanks guys! I guess I'll keep looking. By the way, I'm assuming the M-02 can house newer ESCs? Like a simple Hobbywing Quicrun 1060?

Yes, but any of the M Chassis Cars can easily fit a Hobbywing 1060 ESC. 😉👍👍  They're nice and compact, and can handle just about any Brushed Motor you can fit in a M Chassis!!

As others have already said, the M02 is a fairly basic RWD chassis and outclassed by later cars, but there's no reason not to run one if that's what you want.  Suspension parts are getting hard to find and the steering parts wear out (I'm not sure what hopups were available in that area).  My M01/02 hybrid has cracked suspension arms so it only gets light runs until a long-term solution is available (probably 3D printed arms).

The TL01 is a basic tourer but it's a bulletproof design and there's tons of parts still available.  The once-common Long Arm conversion kit is now rare as hen's teeth but there are plenty of other hop-ups still on the market.  I race my Long Arm version in the Classic class and it goes well against TT01s.  It's an odd design by today's standards but has a lot of love, being the underdog.

Extremely versatile too - I've got a trail truck based on a TL01 chassis and a shortened version that I might turn into a rallycross car or a small monster truck.  They make good entry-level rally cars too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Ahhh! So the Berlina Corse would be the one I want. 😊  Thanks!! Ever since I saw Jeremy Clarkson presenting it on Top Gear - I've wanted that Body!!!  Being RWD.... I'd wait until I can afford the new M08. THAT'S a spectacular Rear Drive M Chassis!!! 😁👌

Yes, but any of the M Chassis Cars can easily fit a Hobbywing 1060 ESC. 😉👍👍  They're nice and compact, and can handle just about any Brushed Motor you can fit in a M Chassis!!

I believe the M08 can not be built to 210mm wheelbase, thats is required for that body.

M06 cannot be used as the chassis is to long in the rear.

I am not sure about the M04 tho

I am not a fan of running old M chassis as they break to easily. Even the Black M03 chassis breaks easily while the silver m03 is bomb proof.

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I believe the M08 can not be built to 210mm wheelbase, thats is required for that body.

M06 cannot be used as the chassis is too long in the rear.

I am not sure about the M04 though....

Yeah... I heard that too, by two good People here, who have not only Built and Ran them, but have dumped a bunch of Carbon Fibre and Blue Tamiya BLING all over them!  They do agree that the M08 is by a large margin, the best of the lot.

Maybe I'll just Bodge together a Silver M03 Chassis. LOVED my Mini Cooper, and the M03 loves the 210mm Wheelbase!! 

I'll either get a different 210mm Body.... Or cause my entire Italian Ancestry to roll over in their GRAVES, and fit the FIAT to the FWD Chassis!! 😲😳😜😂

BTW.... I HAD a M04, VW Bug. There's a REASON why you rarely see M04 Hopup or even STOCK Builds on here. 😖

• Haha 1

M04 and M07 are the only two chassis that don't do all three wheelbases, Both not available in 210mm from Tamiya.

Nothing wrong with an M02, just getting hard to find parts for it new. 

• Like 1

I THOUGHT I remembered that yours was 210!!  Well, solves that! Thank you ✌👊

• Like 1

I've seen the 4-Door Sedan at 225mm..... 

Actually I've never SEEN a 510 Coupe. I would LOVE to have one, because my Dad had one in the mid 70's. He used to let me DRIVE around Kadena AFB, Philippines (I was 11!!) 😜 

There's a Memory I'm anxious to recreate. 

EDIT: I wonder why no M03 - besides the Drive at the WRONG end....

Edited by Carmine A
Added info
  • Like 1

The M-03 has an unusually tall front end due to the location of its servo. This interferes with the bonnet on many shells.

• Thanks 1

Thank you! It's been so long I forgot!!! 😖😞  I wonder if a SHORT Servo......   (I know, reaching) 

So I wonder if that was a primary reason why Tamiya moved the Servo amidships on later models??  I mean, I know it moves some needed weight Aft... Maybe Body fitment as well? 

I guess a question for you Guys who have worked on more of these... 😉

@Fabia130vRS, @Carmine A, @Mad Ax what motors do you all run in your M-02? And did any of you do any steering mods? Like bearings? I read about the GPM aluminum steering but obviously that's not being produced anymore. Have any of you fit a Manta Ray ball diff—is that even worth it? I don't plan to race if I get one, just mostly for casual use. Thanks.

• Like 1

Mine is bone stock, it has ball bearings in the diff and plastic bushings in the wheel hubs. But I ise it only as a shelfer dont really drive it as it could break easy and already has cracks here and there, the steering is sloppy but again I do not care. The motor in it is a 13T brushed with 18T steel pinion.

if you want a m chassis look for the M05. Or rake the TL01 and make a rally car of it that is what I would do.

Btw in my M03 I sold a while ago and my M05ver2 I still have, I am running brushless motors with LiPo batteries. The M05ver2 on 2s and 10T brushless motor goes 67kmh. (With 3racing speed gears)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Mechanic AH I never had a M02 or M01.... I was basing on what I've heard, seen, talked to other people about, seen Videos - and this afternoon, a good search on Evilbay for M02 Cars and Parts.  I can't put it down, I've heard good and bad. Suspension and Steering is SLOPPY! Parts aren't easy to get outside of China. Hopup selection is SLIM. 

You know what though - if I was handed one tomorrow, I'd HAPPILY take it!! 😉 Two reasons why... I am trying to build the Entire M Chassis Cars Collection, M-01 through M-08. 

ALSO, after ALL the Work that I've done on my M05 (Build Thread in the "Builds" Section) - and about 90% of it costing NOTHING or next to nothing... 

And that Thread is about to be active again, because I just did more today, to prep her for the next "TamiyaClub Postal Challenge"!! 😁👍👍💯 

If I listened to some Naysayers who told me that the M-05 is nothing more than Tamiya's bargain basement, BLAND M Chassis Car, with Vague Steering and a SLOP pile for a Suspension!! 

To be perfectly honest - IT WAS! With emphasis on "WAS". I'm an old Auto Mechanic and old RC Semi-Pro Racer. I just looked at it and recalled 40 years of tips and tricks, to make her actually COMPETITIVE!! 

..... It's sounding like you're kinda locked in to to this M-02. GOOD!! 😊👍👍  Everyone should tear into a classic Tamiya if the opportunity arises. It's a fairly simple machine. Even if you don't have the Manual, you'll be able to figure it out! 

If any questions come up, I'll be happy to help - along with others!! 😉  Seriously Bro! 

Honestly, I'd like to get a close look at a M-02, taken apart. Been a long time for me. 

To actually answer your question - I had two M-03s. One had a 25 turn Torque Tuned Motor, the other had a 11.5 Turn Brushless motor! They're VERY stout, and can take serious power.

I had a M-04. MIGHT resemble the 02, not sure. THAT ONE felt like a "stopgap Chassis". Proof is in the fact that almost NOTHING is available for it aftermarket, few replacement parts, hardly ever see any for sale.  That one just had the Silver Can, and it didn't last long. 

I've talked ad nauseam about the M-05!! Basic - BUT quite tunable with great aftermarket support and LOTS of spare parts everywhere.  Mine has a 25T Torque Tuned Motor - but it runs on 3S Power on an 18 tooth Pinion!! 😊  

I had a M06 as well. Several M05 Parts swap between them, which is great. But THIS one - they hung the Motor and most of the Gearbox way out back - like a Buggy!! Except this was far too short and narrow for that configuration. If you like doing DONUTS all day long - this was your Car!  Also built that one stock.

I am DYING to get a M-07!!! It's like the Racing Division just poured the Tech into this one. People here are reporting outstanding performance out of them!  They're well over $200.00 - far beyond ANYTHING I can come up with in the foreseeable future. 😭 

But I'm actually proud of my little "basic" M-05!! I've got a FAST, decent Handling and most of all FUN little FWD Car, that I truly enjoy Driving!! 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the feedback. @Carmine A I like your enthusiasm and optimism in regards to the M chassis and I hope you can complete all the Ms from 01-08. If I do get/build one, I'll probably keep the motor stock like @Fabia130vRS or put in something like a Lightly Tuned motor. I guess they're just like older 1:1 cars that get over taken by newer ones in terms of mechanical innovation and improvements--but hopefully they have some character.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1