Sign in to follow this  
Dakratfink

GoolRC Cogging

So I’ve had a cheap GoolRC esc motor combo sitting in the box since summer. 
I finally decided to install it in my Midnight Pumpkin.  It experienced a little shuddering and Hesitation on start up. When it does start it is a brilliant little motor. The pumpkin does standing backflips on full throttle and is quick and responsive with more judicious use of the trigger.

all the ESC and motor connections seem clean and strong, yet I still get the aforementioned shuttering. 
I have heard GoolRC motors are great but the ESCs are “ you get what you pay for “ situation. 
my question is, is there anything I can do to alleviate this stuttering, or am I gonna have to bin the ESC ? 

1 hour ago, Dakratfink said:

So I’ve had a cheap GoolRC esc motor combo sitting in the box since summer. 
I finally decided to install it in my Midnight Pumpkin.  It experienced a little shuddering and Hesitation on start up. When it does start it is a brilliant little motor. The pumpkin does standing backflips on full throttle and is quick and responsive with more judicious use of the trigger.

all the ESC and motor connections seem clean and strong, yet I still get the aforementioned shuttering. 
I have heard GoolRC motors are great but the ESCs are “ you get what you pay for “ situation. 
my question is, is there anything I can do to alleviate this stuttering, or am I gonna have to bin the ESC ? 

Bin the esc. Even with a new esc, you’re still going to have that problem because it’s sensorless but shouldn’t be as bad. I have same issue and have to hold down full throttle for the car to move and then it finally goes a few seconds later 

6 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Bin the esc. Even with a new esc, you’re still going to have that problem because it’s sensorless but shouldn’t be as bad. I have same issue and have to hold down full throttle for the car to move and then it finally goes a few seconds later 

I’ve had plenty of other sensorless systems ( Traxxas and Horizon Hobby Onyx brand ) that don’t stutter. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

I’ve had plenty of other sensorless systems ( Traxxas and Horizon Hobby Onyx brand ) that don’t stutter. 

Weird, the ones I’ve had all stutter but the gool is the worst. It’s almost undrivable 

20 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Weird, the ones I’ve had all stutter but the gool is the worst. It’s almost undrivable 

Yeah, my onyx one is installed in my SMT10 and it crawls nearly as smooth as the brushed axial system it replaced.But this Gool one , you really have to god it the beans to get it to take off 

2 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

Yeah, my onyx one is installed in my SMT10 and it crawls nearly as smooth as the brushed axial system it replaced.But this Gool one , you really have to god it the beans to get it to take off 

Yep and very glitchy. What esc are you gonna replace it with ? 

I have a HW brushless combo.non sensored, that was not "cheap" and that cogs also on initial startup.

it can be a bit of a problem with sensorless systems, unfortunatly there isn't anything you can do with your current set up to stop it. 

either take a punt on an alternative sensorless system, of buy a sensored one

Before you bin the esc I'd try it with another BL motor, and/or try a smaller pinion (if poss on MP, not sure on that?).  I have a GoolRC 3100kv in one of my 10th scale 2wd MTs, and even with an 80a Hobbywing ESC and high C lipo it still cogs a bit on start up.  Doesn't actually bother me on a basher like that, would be more of an issue if finer throttle control was important to you as in racing, crawling etc, but I doubt you'd be using a cheap SL can in those scenarios anyway, so its a moot point really.  Guess it all depends how bad it actually is.

11 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Yep and very glitchy. What esc are you gonna replace it with ? 

I have a spare TBLe02 but I will have to pair it with a silver can until I can get a sensored motor to pair it with . 
A sensored motor does seems little high falutin’ for a MP though.
Also, I’ll be losing on on waterproof capabilities if I use a TBLE02, so there is that.  

Before you bin it, I suggest ripping off all the connectors and direct solder the ESC to the motor, with the shortest leads you can get away with.  In my experience with many sensorless systems over the years, it makes a massive difference.

34 minutes ago, LongRat said:

Before you bin it, I suggest ripping off all the connectors and direct solder the ESC to the motor, with the shortest leads you can get away with.  In my experience with many sensorless systems over the years, it makes a massive difference.

Agree - whilst sensorless systems are prone to cogging, i used to have quite big issues with it in some of my systems until I realised that the little 'banana' connectors between the ESC and motor are, for want of a better word, pants 👖.  I chopped them off and directly soldered the motor/esc wires and thos cured the problem.

34 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

Agree - whilst sensorless systems are prone to cogging, i used to have quite big issues with it in some of my systems until I realised that the little 'banana' connectors between the ESC and motor are, for want of a better word, pants 👖.  I chopped them off and directly soldered the motor/esc wires and thos cured the problem.

How would you do that? 

C9E60885-DD0A-4399-965D-9526B3031962.jpeg

2091C925-34C1-4C7B-BF7D-70DF7D1A9EDC.jpeg

9 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

How would you do that? 

C9E60885-DD0A-4399-965D-9526B3031962.jpeg

2091C925-34C1-4C7B-BF7D-70DF7D1A9EDC.jpeg

Chop off/de-solder the male/female connectors and solder the bare wires together instead (in the same configuration that worked eg orange to orange, yellow to yellow etc etc ). The issue with those banana connectors is that they don't always make a good contact, so the electrickery doesn't flow which leads to cogging as the motor isn't getting the required power. By direct soldering you are ensuring a good connection between the wires. Cover joins using suitable heat shrink.

Ok, after further running/ testing . The cogging isn’t THAT bad and I think I’m gonna keep my little pumpkin on brushless . It is an insane hoot to drive like this 

Ok, after further running/ testing . The cogging isn’t THAT bad and I think I’m gonna keep my little pumpkin on brushless . It is an insane hoot to drive like thi

On 10/22/2020 at 4:04 AM, Dakratfink said:

Yep, me too. I don't have any sensorless systems. Even my War Rig doesn't stutter, and that's a model that's getting on for 30kg (yep thirty, that's not a typo) that does 18mph. The only time I've had stuttering with a sensorless system is using Nimh battery packs that can't supply the instantaneous current required. I always use LiPos with brushless (Hobbywing ESCs and hobbywing or turnigy motors, and Zippy Lipo cells).

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

Yep, me too. I don't have any sensorless systems. Even my War Rig doesn't stutter, and that's a model that's getting on for 30kg (yep thirty, that's not a typo) that does 18mph. The only time I've had stuttering with a sensorless system is using Nimh battery packs that can't supply the instantaneous current required. I always use LiPos with brushless (Hobbywing ESCs and hobbywing or turnigy motors, and Zippy Lipo cells).

That’s a good point about mah and discharge rate 

Maybe I’ll swap the brushless system into my stampede, SMT 10 or G6-01 chassis  which can fit my full size square pack 6200mah 60c discharge packs, and swap the XL5 into the MP. This makes sense since my round pack lipos that fit the MP and hornet are only 25c 4000mah