Pilotguy604

diff oil on drive belt

Hey y'all. So I'm building up the re-re Turbo Optima. I built up the diffs being careful not to overfill. I did rotate the gears while filling to make sure it got into the bottom of the diff. Some oil did seep out a bit past the gasket and onto the belt drive pulley when I was putting them together and trying to get everything aligned. I continued to build the drive-train and chassis and noticed that the belt was glistening (i.e. looks like the diff oil got on the belt and pulleys).

I took apart the front drive assembly as it was way easier to get at the front diff than the rear. Opened it up, and yeah, some had seeped out from the gasket area which I think is leftover from the assembly but I think The seal is ok otherwise. Filling diffs is messy business.

So I guess my questions is: does oil on the belt matter, I mean it may attract dirt but the belt is enclosed in a guide. Will it deteriorate the belt material?

Thoughts? Should I try and get at the rear diff? Should I clean the entire gearboxes, drive-train, belt?

i wouldn't worry, it wont hurt it, just clean up any excess oil you can and you'll be good to go.