Grumpy pants

Wild One Or Blitzer?

Which one is the best runner and the lowest maintenance?

I've had 4 WO's but never run one, they look superb on the shelf and great in motion in the pictures I've seen on TC.

The problem I have is that I keep buying one to run, but then I  don't want to spoil it which is stupid really as it is only a toy car :rolleyes:....familiar with anyone else?

The Blitzer well I have owned 7 iterations of this chassis over the last 7 or 8 years- 3 Stadium Thunders and 4 Beetles- always happy to run these for some reason. 

However rambling on I want to own and keep ONE as a long term go to runner- I have more than enough shelf queens and I don't want want anymore- aside from the 1 one due back @jonboy1 and the 1 that is still in its storage box 5 years after I bought it :unsure:

Local woods, parklands and the occasional beach run is the likely territory,  the only runner I have at the moment is a Konghead, soonish there will be a Wheelie runner and I have a really nicely turned out Sand Scorcher ReRe (which is a 50/50 TBH), I think the M06 is going to get sold. 

So do I keep and run my shelf queen WO which saves me time effort and money or sell it and buy a Blitzer?

Low maintenance, reliability, robustness and fun are the key attributes I am looking for.

Please share your thoughts with me!

All the best

Simon

I have both, in fact 2 Blitzers and one WO. I am just about to sell the WO because I just don’t use it. Somehow it just feels fragile. The Blitzer just loves to be ragged around get some Schumacher V4 for the rear and a 13.5 brushless motor and it’s like puppy dog out for it’s first walk of the day. I wouldn’t even bother with lipos. If you’ve got them fine but their ok without. Usual bearings and metal pinion and your good to go. The only weak point I’m aware of is where the front suspension fixes to the tub. It can be improved by using long bolts rather than self taps. Sure if you drive it into a tree sideways at full chat you will break a rear upright🤬

• Like 1

So you’ve got a WO but not a Blitzer anymore?

I would take the WO out for spin somewhere it won’t get damaged and see what you think of it and go from there. It would be a shame to let go without knowing what it does. I’m hoping to run mine for some ‘Postal Racing’ tomorrow.

As Busdriver just said though a Blitzer is probably tougher in the long run. 

• Thanks 1

Agree with @BusDriver, the Wild One always feels a bit fragile to me too. I think it's partly because it is so scale looking, whereas the Blitzer doesn't look realistic at all. Probably also because my second hand Stadium Thunder cost £18, so I've no guilt about breaking it, or putting upgrades on it.Sticking LiPo/brushless and working dampers on a Wild One just doesn't seem quite right.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I have both, in fact 2 Blitzers and one WO. I am just about to sell the WO because I just don’t use it. Somehow it just feels fragile. The Blitzer just loves to be ragged around get some Schumacher V4 for the rear and a 13.5 brushless motor and it’s like puppy dog out for it’s first walk of the day. I wouldn’t even bother with lipos. If you’ve got them fine but their ok without. Usual bearings and metal pinion and your good to go. The only weak point I’m aware of is where the front suspension fixes to the tub. It can be improved by using long bolts rather than self taps. Sure if you drive it into a tree sideways at full chat you will break a rear upright🤬

The Wild One looks superb in box art on my shelf but somehow seems less robust compared to the Blitzer.

Good tips on the tyres and batteries as well 👍

23 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

So you’ve got a WO but not a Blitzer anymore?

I would take the WO out for spin somewhere it won’t get damaged and see what you think of it and go from there. It would be a shame to let go without knowing what it does. I’m hoping to run mine for some ‘Postal Racing’ tomorrow.

As Busdriver just said though a Blitzer is probably tougher in the long run. 

Yep, just the 1 Wild One at the moment.

Giving a quick run on grass is a good shout, I will very interested to see your feed back post ‘Postal Racing’ today 💥

You run a Blitzer as well I think? 

23 hours ago, Gruntfuggly said:

Agree with @BusDriver, the Wild One always feels a bit fragile to me too. I think it's partly because it is so scale looking, whereas the Blitzer doesn't look realistic at all. Probably also because my second hand Stadium Thunder cost £18, so I've no guilt about breaking it, or putting upgrades on it.Sticking LiPo/brushless and working dampers on a Wild One just doesn't seem quite right.

£18 those where the days! 

I like the low wide stance and to me it handles pretty well for an ancient peace of Tamiya 😉

The Stadium Thunder was my 1st purchase back into Tamiya back in 2008, good fun tinkering and running it around the garden back in the last major world disaster 🙈

38 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Yep, just the 1 Wild One at the moment.

Giving a quick run on grass is a good shout, I will very interested to see your feed back post ‘Postal Racing’ today 💥

You run a Blitzer as well I think? 

Just posted a YT of my Postal efforts today in the thread. WO in the second half 😉.  Really don’t think I could part with the WO, especially now people have mentioned somewhere else on here that it may not be coming back for a long time, if at all. Granted it’s not Traxxas tough but you don’t always want an adrenaline rush every time you go out.

Lucky I don’t have to worry about parting with it though as I do have a Statium Blitzer as well for more care free running. I invested in a second set of wheels and tyres for it SandPaws for the beach, and Prolines for everything else. Although the 2s 13.5t is plenty (&14t pinion, long story normally a choice of 13 tooth or 15 tooth) I can’t help thinking that it would benefit from 3s on energy sapping soft deep sand. 

• Like 1

I have a never run fox which i bought off ebay and i have not ran it yet so i know what you mean.Is your wild one original or a re re,if its a re re you should run it and if original on grass only if you want to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gruntfuggly said:

Not sure the WO gearbox will cope with 3s! 

I wouldn’t dream of putting 3s in the WO, I’ve read somewhere before from memory that going past a Sport Tuned in a WO is risky. I can’t remember if that was for an original or re-re though? Mines still seems happy enough on its 13.5t as it only gets the occasional outing. 
The last thing I want to do is destroy my WO

148223A6-5487-45A3-B6EA-071BB816DEFC.jpg

I would only put a 3s the in Blitzer for the beach 🏝 👍🏻

• Like 3

Sorry - I must have misread your post. 3s in the Blitzer makes much more sense! The beach is it's natural home. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I wouldn’t dream of putting 3s in the WO, I’ve read somewhere before from memory that going past a Sport Tuned in a WO is risky. I can’t remember if that was for an original or re-re though? Mines still seems happy enough on its 13.5t as it only gets the occasional outing. 
The last thing I want to do is destroy my WO

148223A6-5487-45A3-B6EA-071BB816DEFC.jpg

I would only put a 3s the in Blitzer for the beach 🏝 👍🏻

Nice wheels! What are the front tires?

• Thanks 1

Have both and enjoy occasionally running both.  However, I've also put a lot of effort into the details on both of them as well so it's hard to say which would be the best runner.   If in the woods, grass or anywhere not paved I'd say Blitzer all the way.  Pavement or smooth walking trails, then I would probably enjoy the Wild One more.  The Blitzer chassis can handle higher speeds, jumps, etc. so if that's your intention of fun then I'd go Blitzer.  The Wild One (for me) is more fun to carve up more "realistic" terrain where little nuances of handling are better appreciated.

FlyingWildOne.jpg

Blitzed.jpg

• Like 7

I think it's a question that can never really fairly be answered because you aren't comparing apples with apples - it's a bit like saying which is better - a Hornet or a Blackfoot? It entirely depends on what sort of "driving" you enjoy. As @Killajb rightly said, if you like jumps and rough terrain, go for the Blitzer. If you like fast dusty low impact trails - WO. Local parks, woodland and beach says WO to me, but to be honest, the Blitzer would be absolutely great on those too. Also the Konghead sort of covers most of the bases the Blitzer would, especially if you upgrade the motor and battery. 

I would agree the WO is more fragile, but again, I think it's probably only really an issue if you're using it for things it wasn't really designed to do. For me, I'd keep the WO, buy a few key spares for it and lock them away, have a bunch of fun running it and if ever you decide to turn it into a shelf queen dig out the spares and make it look perfect again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd pick the Wild One. Because it's my 80s dream kit I never had. I always drooled over this in catalogs and magazines while I had the Brat converted to Frog. When I had the money ready to buy the Wild One, the Astute was released so I went for that instead. But to this day, I still wished I bought a Wild One and kept it.

Someday...

• Like 1

The WO is the better looking model by far imo l- but I’m going to be tough on myself and have a maximum 5 shelf queens and I’m pretty sure they will only be vintage ones I already own.  

3 Speed Hilux- Keeper

3 Speed Blazing Blazer- Maybe sell

SRB Ranger- Keeper

Super Champ- Maybe sell

M38 WW- Keeper

The Blitzer is the more robust and I wouldn’t feel so precious about it and I’m going to max out @ 5 rere/modern Tamiya runners- I have at the moment-

Konghead- Keeper 

Honda City Turbo- Can go

Wild One- Undecided 

rere Sand Scorcher- Undecided

RX-7 M06- For Sale 

Lunchbox x 2- 1 Can go

It would be nice to have 1 road based chassis and 1 Kyosho Beetle in my 5 runners as well 😉

So I’d like to fit 14 into 10 😂

• Like 1