Sign in to follow this  
FC5687

Top Force Evo Rebuild

Dont be tempted to get the aluminium front gearbox cover from RCdamper either. It doesnt fit. Its not been machined at the right angle where the prongs that hold the bearings sit are to close up properly. Others have had the same issue as well so it wasnt that mine was a duff.

The c-hubs and uprights fit fine though but need a bit of shimming. Have them on mine.

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Dont be tempted to get the aluminium front gearbox cover from RCdamper either. It doesnt fit. Its not been machined at the right angle where the prongs that hold the bearings sit are to close up properly. 

Yeah i had trouble fitting mine. I did manage to get it on/in, but I recall it wasn't straightforward or easy. Can't remember exactly how I got it in as it was about 5 or 6 years ago and haven't removed it since. It was worth the effort though as it has been solid and reliable since install.

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Dont be tempted to get the aluminium front gearbox cover from RCdamper either. It doesnt fit. Its not been machined at the right angle where the prongs that hold the bearings sit are to close up properly. Others have had the same issue as well so it wasnt that mine was a duff.

The c-hubs and uprights fit fine though but need a bit of shimming. Have them on mine.

What about xtra speed and Jazrider? They both also offer aluminum gearbox cover for Top Force.

Not tried them - just got them from RCdamper off the bay. The rear fitted ok the front not to any acceptaple standard i could see - the front slopey under part didnt line up with the angle of the tamiya moulded gearbox part so its festering in the parts bin. It would have left a gap for grit to get in (shame as is it was quiytte nicely machined)

And I forgot to mention. The RCdamper top force aluminum steering rack doesnt fit either.

Annoyingly id bought all these parts for my top force before discovering a youtube video explaining all the issues I discovered when trying ti fit them. Live and learn....

I tried Willspeed on Facebook the steering rack is currently out of stock, They do have plans to machine some more at some point but were unable to specify when.

Just FYI the rcdamper parts are GPM parts. 
Many gpm Tamiya parts are pretty terrible quality, particular parts that need precision are often wonky and make your car handle poorly. 

• Like 1

It was TamiyaLegends who did the review of the aluminium top force parts.

My phone wont let me put up a link to it as it keeps trying to open a youtube app thing. Its worth a watch.

C7B898D2-E870-4FD6-AB4D-EAF24A641F41.jpeg.bb500ccbc50473db21602d52d55c00c2.jpeg

I’ve never had much issue with their knuckles/uprights, but the above gives you a idea of gpm quality on some Tamiya parts. This is a rcdamper/gpm DT03 part, the hinge pins should be straight or leaning in opposite directions. I got 2, both similar fault but not identical. Its worth checking whatever Gpm parts you buy to see they are correctly made and won’t adversely effect your cars handling before putting them into use. 

• Confused 1

It looks like a trick of weird perspective. 

I had something similar on the yeah racing front uprights for my Avante. The counterbores for the wheel bearings to sit in on each side were out of alignment and caused the axle to bind when rotating the wheels. The quality control on this stuff is pretty shocking.

The only aftermarket alloy parts ive been impressed with so far have been Pargu and RCChannel but these tend to be the smaller volume higher price parts.

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

I can assure you it’s not a visual trick, the front wheels ended up being offset 10mm in opposite directions, pretty shocking. Parts where completely unusable. 

the modern yeah racing parts seem to be better, and for that matter the modern gpm parts are getting better too. But they still make all these inferior parts for older models. 

its a shame 3racing and yeah racing discontinue parts shortly after they make them. 

5 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

I can assure you it’s not a visual trick, the front wheels ended up being offset 10mm in opposite directions, pretty shocking. Parts where completely unusable. 

No, sadly i knew that to be the case. Its a shame as there are some kit parts that do have inherent weaknesses and do need to upgraded. It would be better if tamiya made more use of frp reinforced plastics on these parts to avoid the aftermarket alloy guff

I have seen Yeah offers front C-hub and rear knuckle arms for TA01 and TA02.

Are both TA01 and Top Force's front C-hub and rear knuckle arms interchangeable?

On 10/25/2020 at 9:28 PM, Superluminal said:

I had something similar on the yeah racing front uprights for my Avante. The counterbores for the wheel bearings to sit in on each side were out of alignment and caused the axle to bind when rotating the wheels. The quality control on this stuff is pretty shocking.

The only aftermarket alloy parts ive been impressed with so far have been Pargu and RCChannel but these tend to be the smaller volume higher price parts.

Never heard of Party and Google it and they are making alloy chassis for Egress that lower the "breakdown issues" a degree. Thanks for the info!

Wish they offer one for the top force.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 10:14 AM, Shanks said:

I tried Willspeed on Facebook the steering rack is currently out of stock, They do have plans to machine some more at some point but were unable to specify when.

Will speed are now taking preorders 👍

3 hours ago, DrGoatboy said:

Will speed are now taking preorders 👍

can recomend these. very well made.