Doc Hollywood

My first king hauler finally got one

Hi All hope you are all staying safe and well

I finally got a Tamiya king hauler after wanting one for years but never actually bought one but it had to come with MFC unit as it is so much more fun with one so I found a black king hauler with MFC 01 and all radio gear and ready to run with all manuals and decided it was to good to miss it dose need some tinkering I had to fix the gearbox as the pinion had come loose and had dug into the gear slightly but sounded fine so left it as its on a budget. I also got a shell tanker for it to pull I am amazed how big the trucks are but they are so cool.

I am having a bit of difficulty with the MFC 01 as the gear shifter wont work but the horn is on the channel that the gear shifter is on I have tried resetting it and it is always the same I have read through the manual and cant find an answer. but the shifter also works when I use the throttle so its trying to change gear on the same channel as the throttle.

The front indicators flash right when the rear ones are flashing left and the opposite when I turn the other way but I wonder if I could just change the front LED's over to fix that.

It's missing its trailer plug to plug the trailer electrics in I am wondering where I can get this from

Also when I put the trailer behind it, it wheel spun and bust the axel.

have attached a couple of photos of the truck and trailer   

Any advice or hints and tips will be greatly appreciated as have never owned a rc truck before

s-l1600_optimized.jpg

s-l1600_1_optimized.jpg

• Like 4

Hi,

The indecator fix just needs the plugs for the fronts swapping over on the MFC. The issues with gear change etc sounds like the MFC is plugged in to the reciever in an unusual way. It can take a bit of trial and error to get the functions where you want them . What radio gear is it ?

Nick

• Thanks 1

Hi Nick

Thank you for the info I will do that and let you know how I get on:) The radio gear is Radio link but I think it is quite old its a 6 channel. also I have been driving it most of the day on and off I have really enjoyed it but I came back to it and it seems to be going half the speed and struggling to pull or revers the tanker any thoughts.

Doc :)

Any system with ratchet trims should work ok. Programable ones with 'click' trims can work too with a bit of programing. Have you recharged the battery ? sounds like it is just low on juice. What battery and what capacity are you using ?

Nick

• Thanks 1

I think it has the ratchet trims like on the old Acoms tecnipluse's  I put a few different battery's in it and its the same I am using tornado 3300 MAH or floureon 3500 MAH.

But my dad pointed out it could be a dodgy motor or a lose motor connection.  

• Like 1

I have done some tests and the motor runs very fast with the battery directly on it but with the MFC it runs at around half the speed so wonder if the ESC part of it is damaged has anyone had this problem before as I have had a 101BK speed controller that I acquired in a job lot work at about half the speed.

Doc

• Like 1

The mFC runs significantly slower than a stand alone ESC so that is normal, makes it a bit more 'scale'. There is also a funtion in the MFC where speed is affected by the 5th wheel coupling , but I cant remember if there is more or less power once a trailer is connected . Probably says in the MFC instruction manual.

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can only second Nick G. The MFC-01 is deliberately configured like that and torque and RPM of the motor itself vary even with the chosen gear too.  I have an MFC-01 in my Mammoth Dump Truck and despite not having any 3-speed gear box, the maximum top speed and torque vary with the horizontal position of the throttle/gear stick. So though the gear ratio is constant, the MFC actually simulates a 3-speed gear box even in the Mammoth, although that was hardly intentional from Tamiya's side as the MFC-01 doesn't fit in the Mammoth without modifications.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll try to help. My radio is set w/left stick controls: up/down = throttle, left /right = gear shift. W/right stick: up/down = 5th wheel/leg support, left /right = steering. You can change positions by connecting MFC connecters into different position on the receiver to accomplish this. I would reset MFC to the radio via button and follow MFC manual. A good set up with (reset) can make a huge difference on how it operates. (all functions) (follow manual)

Note: An older radio with ratchet trims (analog) should work the best w/MFC via manual. That being said most digital radios work fine with MFC.

The trailer plug is part of the" Light Kit" for the trucks. Operates trailer lights via MFC. Also there is a "Trailer leg support" kit that you can run legs up and down via 5th wheel and transmitter. Not sure what plug you where referring to.

The 5th wheel for trailer has a switch in it to control ESC power when trailer is hooked up. When trailer connected, truck will run faster. These aren't race trucks they are made for realism. In third gear they move quick for what they are. 

They are a lot of fun to operate. Hope this helps and have fun!

• Thanks 1

As Nick said, when the trailer is connected the esc gives the truck full power, which makes it faster in reverse. When the trailer is disconnected, the tractor unit seems quite slow in 1st and second, and it only gets half the power.

To me it's a bit backwards from Tamiya.

In a 1:1 truck, when you have a trailer you're pulling more weight so it feels like you have less power. It doesn't feel right having the ability to go fast in reverse either.

• Thanks 1

I have tried resetting it and it doesn't seem to work but I am quite happy using first or second gear I am not looking for stupid amounts of speed i do really like very slow speed driving.  I haven't got a switch at the 5th wheel or on the trailer legs they are on a separate manual switch.

The plug I am referring to is the female version that takes the cable for trailer lights it looks like an old style computer mouse port.

I feel a bit stupid as I were running it a few minutes ago and I caught a switch on the TX and it made a gear change sound so i drove it and it went like the clappers so that noise must be for the trailer hitching.

they are great to look at i do really like trucks i built a 1/24 Australian scania t cab it looks great but isn't even better to have a 1/14 scale truck that can be driven around I especially like reversing the trailer and turning it around in really tight spaces.

It dose help and thank you

Doc :)  

• Like 1

@berman 

it dose seem a bit backwards as it would go slower with a trailer because of the extra weight but what you have just said makes sense i must have caught the switch that dose that

Thanks doc   

• Like 1

That plug (old computer like) comes in the "Light kit" only, Tamiya doesn't sell it separate. I did find on Ebay a while back, some one makes them up (China) and are done well, but not Tamiya brand. Will work just as good, don't have a link though.

Do you have a servo in front of the 5th wheel? If so you should be able to disconnect the trailer and put the trailer legs up/down via transmitter. Switch on trailer for legs is part of that system, so you should have it. Unless truck and trailer weren't built for each other. Meaning trailer built for another truck or visa versa. The "Shell" trailer isn't made any more and is hard to get. It looks nice.

About gear shifting. If you have 1 and 2, 3 should be there some where. Or it needs adjustment. (servo) Sounds like you got it working?

The 5th wheel for speed, has a little switch mounted on it to trigger when trailer pin is connected. It is micro and has green/black wires hooked to J-12 on MFC. The "Trailer support legs" are separate than J-12 switch. There are 2 different things going on with the 5th wheel if you have all the bells and whistles. Wasn't sure if you new that? 

Sorry if to much information, hope it helps.

You really have to get the correct servo plugs from the MFU into the correct slots in the receiver or you won't be able to set it up, please have a go at this, as it will be much more enjoyable to drive and operate. 🙂

Yes they are much too fast with a silver can motor. I would highly recommend a 55t for home driving or a 80t for layouts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, berman said:

You really have to get the correct servo plugs from the MFU into the correct slots in the receiver or you won't be able to set it up, please have a go at this, as it will be much more enjoyable to drive and operate. 🙂

Your right, I think on mine, I swap the 2 center MFC servo wires to RX, J-5 and J-6. The order would be J-4 into channel 1, then J-6 into channel 2, J-5 into channel 3, and J-7 into channel 4. This will put throttle/shifting on left stick and steering/5th wheel on the right stick. Much easier to control. 

Also "DOC", do both your transmitter sticks self center? Most left sticks don't unless modified. That would also be hard to control.

Note to my last post. The reason why the 5th wheel switch lowering power w/out trailer, is so it is more realistic and has the power needed to pull the extra load of the trailer and any load put on trailer. A high turn motor will give you more torque and less speed. Or just control your throttle, not full stick all the time. "Berman" is right about the motors.

all the leads show have a label on them what i would do is look at the instructions for the mfu and check to see if they are all in the correct slots and the receiver and make sure the battery is fully charged trace the wires from all the leds to see if they are in the right places and also see if any of the reverse/trim switch's are in the correct position on the transmitter plus sometimes if the ajustment is not correct on the gear change servo that can throw of the gear changes