Ahmed

Tamiya ps paint help

Hello guys :)

I am a complete noob when it comes to rc and recently I got a tamiya tt02 and I am trying to paint a poly body using tamiya ps spray , 

for some reason when i try to make my first coat of the color blue , it shows up with dots and does not look nice , is this how it suppose to look and later with coat 2 and 3 it will look nice ?or I am doing something wrong ?

thanks 

20201024_171336.jpg

20201024_171331.jpg

Make sure you shake the badword out of the can for twice as long as it says.. it could have been on the shelf for years..

Paint when it’s dry, low humidity and not too cold.

Make sure the cans aren’t cold, stored in the garage etc.. room temp should be fine.

Make sure your nozzle is clean, the paint that pools on the nozzle makes big splats like your pictures

Always start spraying away from your target and then make the passes, yes, this wastes paint, but it’s the start of the stroke that throws out the big droplets. Try to hold the can upright if possible.

if you’re stopping they suggest holding the can upside down and spraying till clear, this makes sure no pint is left to clog the nozzle, then clean the nozzle. (Yes, this wastes paint too.. I’m possibly a bit paint heavy because so far where they suggest one can can do a body I’ve used 2 or 2.5 its expensive.. why don’t the make bigger cans???!!!!)

• Like 2

Oops, sorry to the censor.. but shake the badword out of the can is pretty much accurate, I’ll be more careful next time... :)

• Haha 2

Also, it will improve with further coats, so don't worry too much if your first coat looks a bit patchy. 

• Like 3

Oh, another stray thought.. did you degrease the part so it’s ‘squeaky clean’? Should get a squeak when you run your finger over it. The body will have mould release on it, might stop any wet paint from staying put.. I use loctite 7840 degreaser (dilute in warm water never neat...), it’s awesome, you might get away with washing up liquid, ideally you want something that wont leave a residue.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone ^^

@Lee76 Many thanks for these helpful ideas , yes i did not clean it , i took it out of the original box and tried to spray , the cans were cold or maybe room temperature , but for sure not warm . 
i will try these tips and see :D thanks again 

1 minute ago, Ahmed said:

Thank you everyone ^^

@Lee76 Many thanks for these helpful ideas , yes i did not clean it , i took it out of the original box and tried to spray , the cans were cold or maybe room temperature , but for sure not warm . 

No worries, clean and make sure its dry! So what’s it going to be? Looks a bit like avante blue...make sure you show us the finished work!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ahmed said:

Thank you everyone ^^

Wash the body in hot water and dish detergent, completely dry with hair dryer, make sure you have no water anywhere and as others have said, shake the heck out of the can.

• Like 2

of, course.. I forgot your first post! Car in pic is a little more turquoise looking.

yes :D i got the tamiya PS-59 metalic dark blue , and PS-5 black
i guess i will get something close by 60% which is ok as long as i paint it good and it look nice :D 
i will post the result soon ^^ thanks for the support 

Just now, Ahmed said:

yes :D i got the Tamiya PS-59 Metalic dark blue , and PS-5 black
i guess i will get something close by 60% which is ok as long as i paint it good and it look nice :D 
i will post the result soon ^^ thanks for the support 

[1]  Tamiya recommends 60-60 rule.  Less than 60% humidity, over 60 degree temperature (16 degrees C).  I try to aim for 10% more (less than 50% humidity, warmer than 70 degree temperature: 21C).  I don't spray indoors, that's bad for everybody's health. So I only get about 100 days of spraying weather out of a year.   

[2]  Spray horizontally so the heavier particles would not hit the body, keep the can warm

[3]  Fling the can often to remove the droplet forming at the nozzle.  (you can dab it away--be careful not to add lint)  That one big droplet at the chin of the nozzle keeps making bigger droplets.  

62dXN3P.jpg

[4]  Spray upside down between coats. (not to the shell)  Doing that for 1/2 second clears nozzle, and allows cleaner spray for the next coat.  Originally, it's a method to keep the nozzle from clogging for long storage.  But if you don't clear the nozzle between coats, even if you spray in 15 minutes, half-dried sticky droplets start to fly on the next spray. ( Don't spray upside down for too long, or else you won't have propellant left for the paint. I spray 3-4 times with one can, and there is just enough propellent to clear the nozzle between sprays) 

TMdUNxl.jpg

• Thanks 4