Gazzalene

Anyone used shapeways in the UK?

There are some parts I have seen that are only available from shapeways.  This would be too expensive from the US but just read that shapeways also have a outlet in The Nederlands. This will be cheaper regards shipping and taxes BUT as anyone used the service ? how did it go?

I've used them a few times. Delivery is always good, but the shipping (and the prices of the 3d printed parts) are quite expensive. If you're happy paying then the delivery won't be an issue.

• Like 1

Yes a few times and same experience as Toyolien. Shipping is a fixed price and is pretty eye watering so I tend to wait till I need a few bits at the same time as it then makes the postage costs easier to swallow.

As above.....

Look out for a possible Halloween offer

Shapeways have done it before on black and orange parts!

• Haha 1

So are you getting the parts from the EU? So no duty and handling costs?  The latter is what I really begrudge.

I used them for a lunchbox and hornet axle brace.  With the postage it worked out really expensive but had no problems with the service.   I haven't fitted them yet so can't comment on how good they are.

The handful of times I’ve looked at a few things on there, something simple like wheel adaptors, it’s ridiculously expensive. As I don’t like being ripped off I’d never buy anything from there (that’s not even looking at shipping etc)

8 hours ago, CoolHands said:

The handful of times I’ve looked at a few things on there, something simple like wheel adaptors, it’s ridiculously expensive. As I don’t like being ripped off I’d never buy anything from there (that’s not even looking at shipping etc)

I agree with that but the parts are sometimes only available from that single place. the part I am after is a one off with nothing similar. If I drew the part out and found somewhere to convert and print it would the same OR more.will look into prices more now I know.

+1 on prompt but expensive - and bulking buys

Also great for modest load bearing / working parts - never had one break yet

Main issue is they’re a pita for big body pieces or wheels

Their printing method is high volume / basic - and leaves a highly granular surface that (for large, visible items) is an utter nightmare to sand back to anything resembling factory ... especially small / curved areas like wheel rims or spokes 

Its also highly (and often unevenly) porous - so drinks layers of primer and (again) leaves a contoured not flat surface you have to spend an eternity sanding back 

Probably ok for small, flat body parts though - but been too irritated by others to try 😂