Toolmaker72

Tamiya Frog body finish ideas?

Hello all, I’m starting to get the parts together to build a Tamiya Frog and was after some ideas of models fitted with different wheel variations and non box art finished body but still using original frog decals.

I’ll use either a red or dark grey chassis but that depends on the body and wheel colour. 
Would be nice to see some pictures please if that’s ok 😊

thanks in advance 

Rob

• Like 1

Google search for Tamiya Frog and select IMAGES - there are quite a few different colour schemes to give you some ideas.

Green, 2-tone green or green & white would look awesome with a red chassis.

58 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Google search for Tamiya Frog and select IMAGES - there are quite a few different colour schemes to give you some ideas.

Green, 2-tone green or green & white would look awesome with a red chassis.

The images I’m finding all seem to use the standard hornet type white wheels and standard tyres.   Kind of spoils the different colour schemes I think. 

4 minutes ago, Toolmaker72 said:

The images I’m finding all seem to use the standard hornet type white wheels and standard tyres.   Kind of spoils the different colour schemes I think. 

White wheels take dye quite well or you can always paint them.

5 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

White wheels take dye quite well or you can always paint them.

Noooo! Don't try and dye the standard Frog/Hornet Wheels, I did this and all it does it deform them in the heat. 

They do however take paint perfectly well...
7445417026786831771_n.jpg.6310cc249c484c21cb27998014fa44f1.jpg

• Like 2

I've always wondered if a different body would look cool with the box art frog decals. Like maybe use one of those BoLink funco bodies?

My avatar

2 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

I've always wondered if a different body would look cool with the box art frog decals. Like maybe use one of those BoLink funco bodies?

My avatar is my OG Frog with a Parma Frog Jumper body, done up in blue and white, with Frog stickers...  

Terry

12 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Hello all, I’m starting to get the parts together to build a Tamiya Frog and was after some ideas of models fitted with different wheel variations and non box art finished body but still using original frog decals.

I’ll use either a red or dark grey chassis but that depends on the body and wheel colour. 
Would be nice to see some pictures please if that’s ok 😊

thanks in advance 

Rob

I'll snap some pictures tonight...

I use red wheels on my blue chassis Bush Devil, when I'm using the BF body.  Now that its in BarbieFoot mode, I'm using white wheels...

For my Frog Jumper, I am using white wheels on a dark grey KBF chassis.  I have chrome HPIs, but I'm looking for chrome Amark wheels for the rear.  I have some from the front and they look awesome...

For my daughters BarbieFoot II, I'm using pink Imex wheels.  They look funny, but she loves them...

I also have a wide variety of random wheels and tires in multiple sizes.  Part of my Tamiya OCD is collecting vintage ORV wheels and tires...

Terry

55 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

My avatar

My avatar is my OG Frog with a Parma Frog Jumper body, done up in blue and white, with Frog stickers...  

Terry

I have a jumper body too. I think it's the best looking aftermarket body for the frog but they don't exist anymore. :(

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies today.  I’m still none the wiser on colour combos and different wheel and tyre choice so looking forward to seeing any pictures 👍

FAV/Rough Rider/Buggy Champ wheels & tires will work if you get low profile axle nuts for the rear. There's also black Hornet wheels from the Watanabe Hornet if you can find some.

1 hour ago, Biz73 said:

FAV/Rough Rider/Buggy Champ wheels & tires will work if you get low profile axle nuts for the rear. There's also black Hornet wheels from the Watanabe Hornet if you can find some.

I have been thinking the rough rider wheel and tyre 👍.  The black hornet wheels I’ve actually got a set bolted to a black edition grasshopper/hornet hybrid .  That looks rather good so won’t swap those.  
The used chassis arrived today.  I’ve quickly removed the tall parts and fitted a set of wheels to see what needs modification on the front axles to fit the narrow wheels

63E34EF7-4B08-46BA-AFF3-23ACEE66E2D7.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Toolmaker72 said:

what needs modification on the front axles to fit the narrow wheels

I just add extra bushings on the axle when I run my Blackfoot as a buggy. One bushing on the inside of the wheel, one on the outside. Those are the bigger, tougher Blackfoot turnbuckles you have, with better tie rods... you could just stick with that setup and add the inboard springs and cups so you don't have to use external dampers.

For different wheels, I used to run Futaba FX-10 front wheels and Nikko Rhino rears on my Frog, and they were a direct fit--no modifications necessary. I love the look of the FX-10 wheels and I wish I could find a pair of rears to match my fronts.

The chassis shown above will share its better parts amongst another 2 models.  I think I’ll do a separate build thread mainly on a Frog  but will show where this chassis parts go and then the more vintage parts swapped can build a red chassis Frog. 
I would still like any pictures please of different colour body and wheel variations  ☺️

I’ve been assembling the red chassis with its mix of parts, the front axles I made new to suit the narrow 2wd buggy wheels.  The front track is now the same as the rear but just not enough clearance on full lock for the original type frog wheels using the monster beetle front uprights so I’ve fitted these grasshopper 2 wheels instead. 

9755BEB2-D503-4AE3-A10D-6CB2175414BF.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures.  Doesn’t seem to be a popular model. 
The body I notice does sit quite high.  Just wondering if the mount points could be altered?

A little bridge I made so as to stick the receiver or speed control to but still allow its removal by unbolting the bridge. Also bolted the driver figure on for same easy removal reason if I need to strip the chassis again. 

E2349891-4216-4596-9936-E370F0260501.jpeg

1C86E739-C4E0-42F5-9EB0-AF8E18580E2F.jpeg

• Like 3