Krustybus

2WD Buggy Tyre suggestions

OK so this question is actually in relation to my Kyosho Beetle but since it's about 2.2" buggy tyres I'm sure it's perfectly relevant to any buggy!

I've just got hold of some 2.2" Turbo Scorpion wheels for my Beetle which I'm going to use for running thanks to the wider range of tyres available at a lower cost! This is where I struggle a little as there's no so much choice!

What I'm after is something that is decent enough on broken asphalt and loose gravel  (basically the lane behind my house). I'm no racer so I'm not after balls out performance just something durable and reasonably grippy. 

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before (what tyre threads on push bike forums are always cringe fests!) 

Thanks!

Schumacher tyres maybe mini dart (blue I think is harder so won’t wear too quick) and maybe just same up front (They do rear and front ie different widths) or something like stagger rib up front if prefer 

• Like 1

Personally, I like Schumacher's block tyre, as above ,blue is the hardest, but least grippy compound. (Yellows offer best grip/wear for racing ,but woukd be too soft imo)

These tyres are for 2" rims ,but still fit 2.2" (think fitting hornet centres...💪), 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-block-rears-blue-cat/rc-car-products/2280

• Like 1

Sometimes you need to trim a slight bit off the lip for them to seat properly.

2020-05-19_12-05-33

• Like 2

I’m loving my Proline Blockades for that sort of running. Soft grippy compound but wearing pretty well as they don’t spin up too much. Find that harder spikes actually wear faster on hard surfaces as they’re constantly wheel spinning. A bit dearer than Schumacher tyres but come with foams. 

Stagger rib low profile front with no foam. 

• Like 1

We run schumacher mini pins in blue compound on most of our buggies. They are pretty good on all surfaces from mud, grass, gravel all the way through to tarmac. Last pretty well but no match for longevity of a hard Tamiya rubber BUT they give alot more grip so swings and roundabouts. For bashing then I guess a very hard compound is preferred so that you get long life but for racing (even if amongst family and friends) we prefer the stickier tyres. 

Agree with @bikerclubby , almost the opposite of what you'd expect but I run some yellow compound (medium) large spikes on my Avante class buggies and they have even performed really well on tarmac as well as on dirt, grass and gravel. They seemed to have lasted about the same as the harder mini pins despite the Avante2001 running a 13T motor and LiPo and me having way too much fun wheelspinning, drifting and power sliding on tarmac....

Same is true for the super soft silver compound cactus and cactus fusion tyres that we ran on tarmac. Super sticky and ultra soft but have lasted far longer than I thought, probably 1.5 - 2 hours solid driving on a set so far on tarmac and still only half worn. Mind you they are so sticky it is nigh on impossible to get the damned things to spin up which may explain why they are lasting so well. LOL

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 3:31 PM, Biz73 said:

The "T692 " is the same tyre I posted a link to, the listing is wrong, but you can use them on 2.2" (and I am on my RS200 build) 

2020-05-19_12-05-45

This is them listed in the Schumacher site - 

https://www.racing-cars.com/block-rear-tyres-blue-cat-pr-t692

• Like 1

Pro-Line makes some good Buggy Tires as well...  One thing to be mindful of - SOME Buggy Wheels/Tires are 2.1" or even 2.0". 

Either of those sizes will stretch onto a 2.2" FRONT, only if they're soft Compound (Pro-Line, Schumacher, Team Associated, HaoBao, Losi) 

You won't get a half vinyl Tamiya 2.0" Tire onto a 2.2" Wheel.

Rear Tires tend to be a little more forgiving, because of their width. 😉  Just my 2¢....

• Like 1