Sign in to follow this  
NightProwler17

Mod. Touring Advice- TRX419 vs TA07 MR

Hi All. Would love some advice on touring cars. I've mainly focused on buggies this past while, but I'm looking to get into club racing, specifically the modified touring class. I've been looking at the following 2 (or 3) buggies, and don't really know how best to jump in and the pros/cons of each model. here goes...whats the main difference, pros/cons for the TRF419, the TA09RR and the TA09MS? Not really concerned about price, but want to make sure what I buy has support but will also be competitive. I would assume the TRF419 is probably the best of the bunch (I always wanted to buy a TRF model) but as I look thorugh, the TA09MS looks like it is newer, more advanced and is the next evolution of the TRF419. Its also pretty sweet looking. 

What are the main differences? Anyone have any advice for me?

I've a ta07ms which I'm just about to start building but can't compare it to a trf419. 

Have you seen the trf420? 

What motors are you running? There is some debate on rctech whether the single belt TA07 in any form can handle a mod motor. If people are running higher turn mod motors then its probably fine but maybe not if you're running 4.5T boosted.

I run a TA07 Pro that has been upgraded to be similar to the MS (i have a build thread, TA07 to RS7) which I run in 21.5T blinky and the car is brilliant on asphalt. All the TA07 cars are pretty flexible so are better suited to asphalt than black carpet.

I would probably go for the TRF420 for mod classes,  but TA07MSX for stock classes

Actually not sure as I'm new to touring cars (and I'm going to be new to club touring racing). What should I look for in terms of a motor to be competitive at a club level The place near me is black carpet. My approach has always been that fastest is better which is probably not a good strategy for racing as there is a tradeoff between speed and handlng. 

I've seen the trf420...but I don't see it available anywhere. Its a beauty...if I thought I could get one i the next few weeks, I'd hold tight, but who knows when they'll be available again. 

11 minutes ago, NightProwler17 said:

Actually not sure as I'm new to touring cars (and I'm going to be new to club touring racing). What should I look for in terms of a motor to be competitive at a club level The place near me is black carpet. My approach has always been that fastest is better which is probably not a good strategy for racing as there is a tradeoff between speed and handlng. 

I've seen the trf420...but I don't see it available anywhere. Its a beauty...if I thought I could get one i the next few weeks, I'd hold tight, but who knows when they'll be available again. 

https://www.rcjaz.co.nz/tamiya-onroad-car-kit-trf-chassis-c-4472_82_289_2410.html

RCJaz have it in stock 

What classes does the club run?  If you're new to RC racing then I would look at one of the slower classes to start. They probably run a mix of 21.5T, 17.5T or 13.5T and mod, all of which are pretty quick. Lap times between mod and 21.5T are surprisingly close. Another downside to mod is that it on really hard on the cars. 

I thought one of the kits came with both aluminium and carbon chassis but it looks like its not the TRF kits, must be another brand. It could be worth factoring in the cost of an aluminium chassis for black carpet.

Always go to the TRF420 over the 419. It’s quite a big jump.

The TA07MS is also a TRF kit, high quality. The TA07MSX will be here soon and that is a big jump over the MS. It would work with Mod racing as well as stock. 

9 hours ago, qatmix said:

Always go to the TRF420 over the 419. It’s quite a big jump.

The TA07MS is also a TRF kit, high quality. The TA07MSX will be here soon and that is a big jump over the MS. It would work with Mod racing as well as stock. 

Is the big jump over the 419/MS because of the new suspension arms or is there more to it than that?

15 hours ago, NightProwler17 said:

Definitely find out what classes the club runs. I jumped straight into 17.5 blinky touring car (the fastest class at my club) and it is fast and HECTIC. And also there is so much to learn before you are even close to making the car work. I have managed to just about get on top of it now with many hours of solo practice and setup at our outdoor track during the summer, but i have to say that our busiest class is the iconic stock which is mildly modified TT01E. I have picked up a car to run in this as a bunch of the fellas have formed a sub class heat with torque tuned motor and fixed gearing. It's not that quick, but close racing, cheap, fun and much less to fiddle with/worry about on setup. Not everyone's cup of tea, granted, and if you have buggy racing experience you'll be way ahead of me when i started. That said, i had done quite a lot of astro track running with a TRF buggy before touring car racing, and compared to that even 17.5 touring cars are REALLY FLIPPIN FAST 😁 Takes some getting used to.

If you do go all in, get a build thread going and let us know how you go. Would love to see a TA07MSX go together and go racing. 

• Like 1

So here is my plan. I picked up a tt02sr from rcjaz with some hopups. Im going to fit it up with a 17.5 and get it set up for some boinky at the local track. That going to be my next month or so. That will be my intro to touring racing.

When the ta07msx comes out, I'm gonna get one of those too...maybe the wife and kids will get me one for Christmas. I'll definitely start a build thread in case anyone interested.

Thanks for all the advice. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NightProwler17 said:

So here is my plan. I picked up a tt02sr from rcjaz with some hopups. Im going to fit it up with a 17.5 and get it set up for some boinky at the local track. That going to be my next month or so. That will be my intro to touring racing.

When the ta07msx comes out, I'm gonna get one of those too...maybe the wife and kids will get me one for Christmas. I'll definitely start a build thread in case anyone interested.

Thanks for all the advice. 

That's great you have a kit on the way. If I may make a suggestion/plug, even the Type SR has no way of fitting an anti roll bar kit using official parts. I got frustrated with this when i had a Type S so i designed a mount kit that you can buy on Shapeways 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZTWKTEHWX/tamiya-tt02-type-s-type-sr-sway-bar-mounting-kit

Anti roll/sway/stabilizer bars are pretty much a must have for a race car as they are a powerful and easy to change tuning option. I would also suggest 53440 spring set for another easy tuning option. Start with the white extra hard springs on the front and blue hard on the rear as a starter for 10