Juhunio

Audi Quattro vs Lancia 037

Watching some music videos on YouTube this morning and this piece from S2 of the Grand Tour was linked. It's a look back at the 1983 WRC battle between Audi and Lancia, and the different philosophies behind the cars and the teams. It's a great watch, if you're interested in your motor racing history...

spacer.png

It also offered a lovely bit of context for a couple of kits on my "To Do" list...an XV01 with Audi Quattro body set, and the TA02S Lancia 037

spacer.png

Thought it was worth a share :)

• Like 9

I've been thinking about slimming down my fleet, losing my TL-01 Bowler and the TB-01 and TL-01LA rally car projects I have in the 'queue'.

Watching stuff like this might help me to cling on to the dream....

Thanks! I think...

• Like 1

I watched this a week or so ago, then got caught in a group b rally wormhole on YouTube :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for sharing indeed.

Group B rally cars history should be taught at school.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wez-li said:

I watched this a week or so ago, then got caught in a group b rally wormhole on YouTube :lol:

There was a lot to love about rallying in the 80s, particularly the fact it was on TV so often. You’re right, loads of it to enjoy on YouTube!

2 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Thanks for sharing indeed.

Group B rally cars history should be taught at school.

Agreed, a bonkers era of ingenuity, creativity, bravery, visceral noise and speed! 

• Like 2

That stock red 037 looks so beautiful. 

But B) the highlight for me was when Walter Rohrl said...

"I want to be a normal man not something special"

• Like 2

Love EVERYTHING that Clarkson, Hammond and May are in!! I just rewatched that entire Season of Grand Tour, as well as the first 5 Seasons of Top Gear. Great stuff!! 

I really want that Audi Kit, because I used to own that very Audi Quattro Coupé (NOT Rally spec of course!!). Sadly I can't even afford the TT02 version..... 😭😭😢 

The Lancia 037 has always been high on my Dream List too. Hope you're sharing the builds here!!

• Like 2

On 10/27/2020 at 2:34 PM, Wez-li said:

I got a wee bit lost today too!

For 10 mins of noisy Group B filth, this is pretty hard to beat

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

That stock red 037 looks so beautiful. 

But B) the highlight for me was when Walter Rohrl said...

"I want to be a normal man not something special"

Whilst then flinging that lightweight collapsible Italian rocket around mountain roads. For a laugh!

This is not normal....

• Like 1

Still missing the greatest Group B car that never raced, the Lada Samara EVA. While the Quattro, 959, and 037 are all absolute legends, I tend to like the more obscure and less successful cars in motorsport. (Sorry for super low-res picture, its probably the best they could do in the Eastern Bloc)

lada-samara-s-proto.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Love EVERYTHING that Clarkson, Hammond and May are in!! I just rewatched that entire Season of Grand Tour, as well as the first 5 Seasons of Top Gear. Great stuff!! 

They did disappear up their own trumpets towards the end of TG, but some of the GT pieces were amazing. Their bit on the Porsche 917 and Dickie Attwood was absolutely wonderful

15 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

The Lancia 037 has always been high on my Dream List too. Hope you're sharing the builds here!!

Why, thanks for asking! I'm sure I will, when the time comes :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bash said:

Still missing the greatest Group B car that never raced, the Lada Samara EVA. While the Quattro, 959, and 037 are all absolute legends, I tend to like the more obscure and less successful cars in motorsport. (Sorry for super low-res picture, its probably the best they could do in the Eastern Bloc)

lada-samara-s-proto.jpg

Whoah!!!! That looks like a cut-and-shut Delorian Sierra Cosworth :lol:

It's amazing, at least three different cars all at once. I don't remember it at all, did it hold its own?

Edit: just realised your post said (N)ever raced...I missed the N 🙄  My favourite car from that (or any) era is actually the 205 T16. As a result, my first ever car in 1995 was a used 205 1.6 GTi, which I loved more than is healthy, and drove like an idiot. Until I killed it ☹️

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Whoah!!!! That looks like a cut-and-shut Delorian Sierra Cosworth :lol:

It's amazing, at least three different cars all at once. I don't remember it at all, did it hold its own?

Edit: just realised your post said (N)ever raced...I missed the N 🙄  My favourite car from that (or any) era is actually the 205 T16. As a result, my first ever car in 1995 was a used 205 1.6 GTi, which I loved more than is healthy, and drove like an idiot. Until I killed it ☹️

I don't remember that car either! 

It's right that rally was on TV all the time back in the day, it's not as bonkers as it used to be. 

Pug gti, never had one myself, although my mate did, and it was special as it was the first car crash i was in :lol:

If you like audi's (I'm a massive fan) this is a great vid

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Juhunio said:

My mate had a lovely dark grey 1.6. It ended up upside down in a farmers field. 
I remember going with him to buy it. My role was to keep hold of the cash!

I loved the RS200, there was one in the local dealership Dad and I used to drool over. I have the L and L models shell to put on something one day.

• Like 1

Back when the RAC Lombard rally was a proper tour round Britain not just a quick jaunt round some Welsh country estate

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wetman said:

Back when the RAC Lombard rally was a proper tour round Britain not just a quick jaunt round some Welsh country estate

I used to have the lombard rac rally game, used to play it while my nicads charged :D

• Like 1

Anyone want to make a motorsport thread in the non-rc related section? I'd love to discuss more but I feel this might be a little off-topic for the general R/C section. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

My mate had a lovely dark grey 1.6. It ended up upside down in a farmers field. 
I remember going with him to buy it. My role was to keep hold of the cash!

Snap! Grey metallic 1.6 on its roof down a bank off a bend on a steep hill :ph34r:

I'll always remember the day I bought it from a ropey little garage in Tivoli in Cheltenham. It was screaming at my head "Don't even think about it!!", but my heart won :)

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 1:25 AM, Bash said:

Anyone want to make a motorsport thread in the non-rc related section? I'd love to discuss more but I feel this might be a little off-topic for the general R/C section. 

Good idea, and probably fair enough!

It started out as a bit of historical context behind two great Tamiya kits, but has wandered a bit since :D

On reflection, there's something in the kits themselves that fits that original 1983 narrative:

XV-01 Audi Quattro: tailor made for rallying, good for all surfaces, strong, grippy, almost bulletproof

TA02S Lancia 037: Tamiya put a classic rally body on what is essentially a quick on-road chassis. I have another TA02(SW) and it has almost no ground clearance, but is very quick and handles beautifully. So it's quick, lightweight, a bit flighty, not at all appropriate for all surfaces and best on smooth tarmac surfaces. Much like the original!

• Like 1

Taking your chassis / body idea forwards (and to keep the thread RC), I have the RS200 shell and three options - TB-02, TL-01LA and XV-01 (if I convert it from T spec).

I'm thinking TL-01LA for the 'upgraded Ford' and maybe get the Quattro for the TB-01?

My M05-RA wears a Suzuki Swift Super 1600 and I have the Suzuki Monster body that deserves an MF-01X one day.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Taking your chassis / body idea forwards (and to keep the thread RC), I have the RS200 shell and three options - TB-02, TL-01LA and XV-01 (if I convert it from T spec).

I'm thinking TL-01LA for the 'upgraded Ford' and maybe get the Quattro for the TB-01?

My M05-RA wears a Suzuki Swift Super 1600 and I have the Suzuki Monster body that deserves an MF-01X one day.

I've got a TB-02 (unbuilt) which just from reading the manual seems to be a predecessor to the TT02? Very similar set up anyway, I guess quite low to the ground? I did see a video of someone driving a TT02 Quattro on rough gravel and it looked grand (if you can live with the 80s hair metal soundtrack!!), so it should work on the TB02...probably not as well as the XV01 though!

It would be amazing if Tamiya released some more 'old school' body sets for the M05-RA. I'm not keen on the R5t shell at all, it doesn't sit right, but maybe a T16 would work, maybe even a 6R4? 

The Swift will look right on it too though :)

• Like 2