DayRider

what is the Diff - rence

After crashing my M05 and doing a lot a of damage, I going to do a ground up re build and part of this is up grading the running gear. I am going to change the gearing ( pinion and spur gear) as well as the diff. 

So my question is, would I be better of with a Ball diff or an Oil filled diff? As always your help on this is always welcome . Thank you.

• Like 1

Generally a ball diff works better in low traction situations, where a gear diff is more useful in high traction situations. 

in many cases people run locked diffs on m03/5, this is why gear diffs with heavy oil are quite popular to those looking for the performance of a locked with somewhat less of a drawbacks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll always prefer an oil filled Diff... I Raced with Ball Diffs. They're great in situations like that, but they're not "set and forget". They require constant adjustments to keep them at peak performance.... 

Oil Filled Diffs - you choose the best Oil Weight, fill it - and forget it! Just run and have fun. 😉

The KEY to Diff Tuning is to go as heavy as you can, without hindering Steering. (And for the sake of conversation, I'm only dealing with the Front Diff, since we're dealing with a FWD Car) 

I would run 30,000-50,000wt Diff Oil in your M05... Unless it's really cold where you run, then 15,000-20,000wt. That might seem very thick, but it's actually just enough to keep the inside Wheel in a Turn, from spinning off all the Car's speed. You'll shorten Lap times! 😉

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I'll always prefer an oil filled Diff... I Raced with Ball Diffs. They're great in situations like that, but they're not "set and forget". They require constant adjustments to keep them at peak performance.... 

Oil Filled Diffs - you choose the best Oil Weight, fill it - and forget it! Just run and have fun. 😉

The KEY to Diff Tuning is to go as heavy as you can, without hindering Steering. (And for the sake of conversation, I'm only dealing with the Front Diff, since we're dealing with a FWD Car) 

I would run 30,000-50,000wt Diff Oil in your M05... Unless it's really cold where you run, then 15,000-20,000wt. That might seem very thick, but it's actually just enough to keep the inside Wheel in a Turn, from spinning off all the Car's speed. You'll shorten Lap times! 😉

looks like everyone thinks ball diffs are not the way to go. I do like the the the diff in my M07. Oil filled diff it is then. Congratulation on the epic win mate, I now no where I need to get better. I need to practise them tighter tracks.

• Thanks 1

Don't expect another stomping like that again.... I've a feeling that Turnip was a bit stunned by the results, also being a former Pro Racer. He will be practising HARD!!! 

And it got COLD here (well, for Arizona). I believe you use Celsius? Today's high is 13 C!! NOT good for Traction.... 

You will not be sorry going with an Oil Diff. The Oils I listed are what I use on my M05. That should work well for you. 😉

31 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Don't expect another stomping like that again.... I've a feeling that Turnip was a bit stunned by the results, also being a former Pro Racer. He will be practising HARD!!! 

And it got COLD here (well, for Arizona). I believe you use Celsius? Today's high is 13 C!! NOT good for Traction.... 

You will not be sorry going with an Oil Diff. The Oils I listed are what I use on my M05. That should work well for you. 😉

I have slowly seen the grip slipping away as it gets colder and I am finding it difficult to keep the heat in the tires.

Full strip down of my M05 has started. Would of liked to have done the whole of the races with that chassis but here we are, hopefully come back with a better car. I think now is the time to move to lipo battery in all my chassis's.

Going to use the M06 to finish off as that is one I need to practice more with.

Also seen a faster spur gear for the M05 so you can use a 21t pinion.

How's things in your neck of the woods mate? Any plans?

• Like 1

If it's the 3 Racing High Speed Gears, I've heard as high as a 23T Pinion! That should speed things up nicely. 

Mine, with an 18T Steel Pinion, on 3S, is clocked on Radar at 39.4mph!! 😲 I'm not sure I want to take that poor thing much faster... If I can get a 20T Steel Pinion Gear, I'll try that though. It's not struggling at top end, and I actually think that 45mph is possible - on the Stock Gears!  Although I am using the FRP Gears, which are incredibly strong. 

..... There's 3 different High Speed Gear Sets out there - and TWO of them are incredibly WEAK!! Sadly I can't verify which two. I've never used any of them. I'll see if I can find out. 

Today?? Chilly and DAMP! I just told my good Friend in the Midlands that I've got HIS Weather!!! 😜  I have a lot of physical damage from years of Racing REAL Cars, and just being STUPID!! 😖  Days like this I can barely make it to the Kitchen... 

But I have been working on the M05 today! I was given the Adjustable Upper Arm Kits, for front and rear Suspension, so I'll actually be able to adjust Camber - which is quite valuable on these M Chassis Cars! 

I can add negative Camber to the Front, for less Understeer, and positive Camber to the Rear, for less Grip Roll, and a little rear slide. Those tweaks make FWD Cars more stable in Turns. 😊

For such a cheap up grade it's money well spent. I have so much to do I don't know where to start right now. So many things I want to but stocks are low over here, finding it hard to get what I want. Haven't seen it like this ever!

• Like 1