RCRLMichael

Is there a Tamiya nitro engines identification guide out there?

Hi all,

I'm just curious - is there a Tamiya nitro engines identification guide out there that someone knows about?

There seems to have been so many different variants that all looks extremely similar to the untrained eye - FS12SS, FS12LT, FS12FT, etc... that it would be nice to have a definitive guide to help identify an engine at first glance.

• Like 1

Not sure if there is a guide for this, but i know a guy instead:lol:.

Ask TC mod acprc here. I'm sure he can help you with anything Tamiya Nitro related. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RCRLMichael said:

Hi all,

I'm just curious - is there a Tamiya nitro engines identification guide out there that someone knows about?

Yes, there is a human version of it called @acprc

• Like 2

LOL, thanks all. There isnt a guide but I can ID all of them by look. Tamiya have made a few subtle hints in the model designation to help. For instance on the NDF-01 chassis there are two different engines. The FR-15S is used on all of them except the Nitro Crusher which uses the FS-15S. The only difference is the exhaust outlet and the FR stands for Rear and the FS stands for Side. That is common across all engines Tamiya "make". They actually dont make any engines.

If you need help, please ask.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acprc said:

LOL, thanks all. There isnt a guide but I can ID all of them by look

Wouldnt that be a nice "homework" for long winter evenings? I just think about @juls1 damper topic which is pure gold of informations...

Just n idear :wub:

12 hours ago, Collin said:

Wouldnt that be a nice "homework" for long winter evenings? I just think about @juls1 damper topic which is pure gold of informations...

Just n idear :wub:

Lol, I have a few excel sheets it’s getting the time to organise them!

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 8:14 AM, acprc said:

LOL, thanks all. There isnt a guide but I can ID all of them by look.

Ha! You learn a new thing about someone every day. :D 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

Ha! You learn a new thing about someone every day. :D 

LOL, we all need to be good at something!

On 10/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, acprc said:

LOL, thanks all. There isnt a guide but I can ID all of them by look. Tamiya have made a few subtle hints in the model designation to help. For instance on the NDF-01 chassis there are two different engines. The FR-15S is used on all of them except the Nitro Crusher which uses the FS-15S. The only difference is the exhaust outlet and the FR stands for Rear and the FS stands for Side. That is common across all engines Tamiya "make". They actually dont make any engines.

If you need help, please ask.

Since this is the case, do you think you can you help me identify this Tamiya nitro engine?

I bought it off eBay not too long ago, and it arrived today.  It was cheap so I figured what's the harm?  The seller had it listed as a vx .16 engine, which I believe is a mistake.

Obviously it's missing a carb, and there's no glow plug and the pull-starter isn't a genuine Tamiya unit (like hens teeth those things).  But it spins freely when I pull the pull-start cord so I won't have to deal with the pain of getting it spinning.

But I'd really like to know what engine this is.

That way I can spend MORE money to find a car to put it in.

You know, the a$$-backwards way?

IMG_20201128_103320.jpg

IMG_20201128_103329.jpg

IMG_20201128_103336.jpg

IMG_20201128_103342.jpg

IMG_20201128_103349.jpg

IMG_20201128_103356.jpg

IMG_20201128_103403.jpg

15 hours ago, RCRLMichael said:

Since this is the case, do you think you can you help me identify this Tamiya nitro engine?

I bought it off eBay not too long ago, and it arrived today.  It was cheap so I figured what's the harm?  The seller had it listed as a vx .16 engine, which I believe is a mistake.

Obviously it's missing a carb, and there's no glow plug and the pull-starter isn't a genuine Tamiya unit (like hens teeth those things).  But it spins freely when I pull the pull-start cord so I won't have to deal with the pain of getting it spinning.

But I'd really like to know what engine this is.

That way I can spend MORE money to find a car to put it in.

You know, the a$$-backwards way?

IMG_20201128_103320.jpg

IMG_20201128_103329.jpg

IMG_20201128_103336.jpg

IMG_20201128_103342.jpg

IMG_20201128_103349.jpg

IMG_20201128_103356.jpg

IMG_20201128_103403.jpg

Its a Tamiya FS-12LT with the wrong heatsink head on it and the wrong recoil starter. When I say wrong recoil though the recoil fitted was made by Mecoa and is the same as the both the FS-12LT and FS-15LT recoil but with a HPI label. The FS12 is grey/silver and the FS-15 is black.

1 hour ago, acprc said:

Its a Tamiya FS-12LT with the wrong heatsink head on it and the wrong recoil starter. When I say wrong recoil though the recoil fitted was made by Mecoa and is the same as the FS-15LT recoil but with a HPI label.

Thank you very much good sir!  At least this gives me something to go on in order to hunt down a carb and appropriate heatsink.  Cheers!

BTW - any ideas what engine the heatsink is from?  It certainly looks like a Tamiya unit and not some aftermarket one.

4 hours ago, RCRLMichael said:

At least this gives me something to go on in order to hunt down a carb and appropriate heatsink.  Cheers!

I’ve got an mage showing a diagrammatic breakdown and parts listing for the FS-12LT on an entry in my showroom on the main TC site: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=134838&id=16836

17 hours ago, RCRLMichael said:

Thank you very much good sir!  At least this gives me something to go on in order to hunt down a carb and appropriate heatsink.  Cheers!

BTW - any ideas what engine the heatsink is from?  It certainly looks like a Tamiya unit and not some aftermarket one.

Its a head from a Tamiya FS-15S or FR-15S used on the NDF-01 range of buggies.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 3:54 AM, acprc said:

Its a head from a Tamiya FS-15S or FR-15S used on the NDF-01 range of buggies.

Thank you again for the info.

The search now begins for a correct heat sink, and carb.

Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RCRLMichael said:

The search now begins for a correct heat sink, and carb.

You could also consider the hop up 41037 heatsink designed specifically for the FS-12LT, as well as the standard one.

675FFFA6-F9E4-4C19-B3BE-FE418A0A3736.jpeg

• Like 2