Super ally

Are you happy with your collection?

I was wondering how happy you are with your collections or if there are more you would like to add.Since i have come back to tamiya i have got a re re hotshot,original never run fox,restored my old fox,re re grasshopper and novafox.The next i want is the hornet then i think thats it for me,money and space for them is part of it but i would be happy with that for me.Thats 6 cars and i know thats small to some of you but it will do for me,so how many have you got and is it enough for you.

• Like 3

That's a nice little collection I have got around 35 cars and that is way to big for me but the problem is I think that I have got all of the cars and I am happy with the collection then another one will catch my eye hence having 35 cars:rolleyes: But I have decided I want a smaller collection of around 15 cars which will be all of my favourite cant do without cars.

• Like 3

im beginning to start to think i have an issue, i keep buying 'projects' but so far haven't actually finished any,  last month i promised myself no more untill i have some complete, ended up buying 3 more :(

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My satisfaction with my fleet depends on what becomes available. In terms of classics, I have pretty much all the ones that caught my eye as a child, so now it is the new releases that catch my interest if they look to be a good "fit" for the rest of my fleet. 

• Like 2

Certainly happy with mine since they're what I grew up with. It's a small group compared to some (5 cars), and there's only 2 more I want, although I'm not in a hurry to get them. The first would be a Grasshopper II/Super Hornet chassis to go underneath my lexan 1984 Grasshopper body. I was thinking maybe I should do another 1984 Hornet, since that's what the body post holes are cut for, but I think it would be cool to have an old lexan GH body on a GH2 chassis, sort of a "factory high performance" version like NISMO or AMG. I'd also like to eventually build a fully ballraced DT-02 or DT-03 with a hot brushed motor and a gyro receiver, just to see how all this new tech works compared to the old stuff.

• Like 2

oh god no not happy with it. Or more accurately I am happy with the ones I have but not at the size of the collection. Theres at least one or two of the Euro tractor units I need to add, the Merc box van,  one of the 3 speed hi lifts, a monster truck of some variety, a couple more CC-01s and at least one M chassis shelfer. Eventually would like the Volvo recovery truck as well, but thats way way off at the minute........Unless anyone wants to buy a kidney? I can probably spare two, I`m sure the kids won`t notice theyre gone:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm happy but the wife's not! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

I feel I have too much but I am content with what they all give me. I have plans for an ideal collection when I have the space but I think it's realistic! 

I have a good deal of the Falcon family (the blitzers) and the oddball cousin of the FXT which I'm happy to bumble around with. The blitzer beetle was my first Tamiya and first kit ever - that's never going anywhere and is the cornerstone of my slight obsession with the clicky clacky moulded ABS everything of Tamiya. 

Past that it all gets a little random, I have my pair of 4wd buggies. The first being the Mock Force which is a manta ray with a carbon fibre chassis and a lot of the bells and whistles of a top force. This is by far the most complete and useable out of everything I own and it probably gets run the most. Second is the Doomerang which is a boomerang with a carbon chassis (home made this time) and lots of delicate fiddly ricer mods. It's a bit more delicate and doesn't really have the suspension travel for non track running. I have a 3 racing ex real crawler chassis that waxes and wanes in interest and a long haul Ta02sw restoration project.

As Covid has decimated what little social interaction I have so there's no real chance for me start racing an M chassis I've packed that off and have bought something stupid and outlandish instead. I've fancied a monster truck since trying out a Traxxas Stampede and so I'm just waiting for a Twin Detonator to arrive and I can have a crack at that. I'm looking forward to designing a chassis and maybe open sourcing it if there's any interest! 

The only other things I really would really desire are:

Vanquish - very cool buggy I would like to see in bright gun metal

TR-15T nitro stadium truck, need I say more? 

Hotshot - though this itch is mostly scratched with my boomerang I have some ideas for cool visuals with the cage and body

Rc10 or rc10t they seem to be the holy grail for many and I feel like I'm missing out 

• Like 3

For me, I'm happy with stuff that I've thought about and tinkered with the most. It's got nothing to do with performance, nothing to do with price.  It's the amount of time I spent in my head.    

I spent years thinking about getting Wild Willy 1, and then I spent weeks thinking about ball bearing upgrades (which was not fully possible). Also fixing dry rotted tires.  All this sounds like 'dissatisfaction,' but I'm happy with it.  Because I got attached to it while trying to solve its problems.  

On the other hand, DF02 was an impulse buy. (used for $80)  The chassis didn't have a scratch on it. I should be happiest with it.  But I didn't spend years thinking about getting it.  I didn't have to worry about fixing anything.  I didn't even build it.  Zero mental effort.  DF02 would be 'easy come easy go' list.  Which might be its problem; it requires too little for us to like it (compared to TT02B which might require steel diff, etc).  

Anyway, If I needed to trim the collection, I'd let a dozen go and keep 2 dozen. (let's not tell my wife that; she'll argue for letting go of 2 dozen and keeping a dozen) Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry to reduce the collection, even though, I'm running out of space.  So I'll just slow the acquisition to like 1 a year.  I want XV01 or MST CMX next.  

• Like 2

Absolutely! I've been lucky enough to have nearly all my childhood dream vehicles pass through my hands. The ones I really love stick around; the ones that I didn't feel the need to hold on to got sold on. There are a couple of things I sort of wish I hadn't sold: I had five Kyosho Raiders at one point and should have kept one, and I regret selling my Optima Mid and my SRB re-re, but at least I got to enjoy them, and re-acquiring those models doesn't feel like a priority.

But generally as it stands, I like what I have, and really, there's only one more "must-have" to go for me, and it's the biggie: a 3-speed. Still trying to determine what form that should take: vintage, re-re, Hi-Lift, big rig...but I have time to decide while I'm saving up the money for it. Maybe Tamiya will re-re the Blazing Blazer while I'm saving up... hey, a fella can dream, right?

• Like 4

At getting on for 100 kits, either built or nib,  vintage body sets and parts, i know i have too many... until i see the one i dont have but just cant live without. Then i dont have enough...

J

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think i'm up about the 80 rc kits stage (about 65 are tamiya) 

storage is becoming a issue. 

new kits being released is becoming annoying :lol:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

At getting on for 100 kits, either built or nib,  vintage body sets and parts, i know i have too many... until i see the one i dont have but just cant live without. Then i dont have enough...

J

100 kits wow.

Good topic. Am I happy with my collection? No. I'm pretty much done collecting Tamiya and need to offload a good portion of it. Selling Tamiya in the states has not been an easy prospect in my personal experience though. I'm very very grateful to be able to have what I have but my attraction to having even more plastic fantastic Tamiya models has gone by the wayside. I'm happy with what I've got. Now if Kyosho puts out more of its cool reissues, I'm all over that.

• Like 4

I too am not happy with my collection.  I have been buying but never finishing any projects.  I have 5 cars in a near state of completion that i can't get motivated to finish.  In addition, I have a large number of kits that were bought to build that languish NIB.  I am really trying to cut back and have had limited success so im not sure of what my options are at this point.  Im hoping the VQS and maybe a Novafox are my last two for a while.  I may sell a few because for me its frankly depressing and overwhelming to have so much unfinished work.  An example, i have a new built SCX10II sitting on my floor waiting for battery plugs and finishing the body.  This kit was from the first batch of SCX10II kits and it still isn't finished.  Note that the scx10III just came out!

I would say i am happy at 4 but i want one more. This year i only used the most my Arrma truck and my top force. My other 2 rere buggies terra scorcher and Kyosho ultima didn’t see any runtime due to waiting for parts or messing a body. When i get my super clodbuster i think that's all for me.

Happy with my collection for a few years now, scaled right back from 15 years ago to the point now I have a dozen nibs and a dozen built approx.

The secret for me was taking a chassis and/or type (4wd for example) and committing to running it for upto 5 to 10 hours in a short amount of time (say 2/3 weeks), if I still liked it I would keep it, otherwise it was sold.

This enabled me to gain a selection of models across the board....2wd,4wd,6wd etc with enough space and funds to keep dipping into with new models or rere's (Inc special versions).

Having a smaller amount of cars is not initially easy, it took about three years to decide and get to the stage....sometimes returning to previously discarded models just to do the running  phase to see if it would change my mind

• Like 2

I'm happy with my collection of 15 cars.  I've sold a few lately but dont think I've ever had more than 20 at any one time. I think  having too much stuff adds stress.  It's more sets of tyres degrading to worry about, more plastic parts getting brittle and breaking, more decals peeling. Also, I wouldn't have the time to maintain more cars or keep them clean.  I've been enjoying revisiting some of my old models lately modifying and restoring them.  I've found that I'm no longer as fussy about originality so cars that were once shelf queens are being turned into runners.

I would like to build a kyosho at some point but the high cost is putting me off for now. 

• Like 3

I'll be happy when I've halved my collection. Currently have 2, a Sand Viper and a Dark impact (looking to offload the latter, keep the former).

I'd been holding on to stuff thinking my son would want it all, but he seems only moderately interested so I will probably scale mine back at some point in the future, but it's a fairly small collection anyway so might be difficult to decide what to get rid of. It's that catch 22 of wanting fewer models to look after, but not wanting to pass on any that I've already got. I'll keep all my scratch built models though. Even if my son only keeps them and never runs them, they are something unique that is a direct connection to me for him. 

• Like 3