Super ally

Are you happy with your collection?

6 hours ago, Superluminal said:

I should add to that but its difficult to put it into a proper sentance what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean 

• Like 1

Just picked up the hobby again and this far i haven - Grasshopper - Top-Force and just bought Agrios. Last one seems do **** sweet lying there in it box just waiting for me to get started with the building process. Im actually thInking more about Agrios than my girl friend that im going to marry next Aug, maybe i should marry my Tamiya’s instead, my grasshopper is already in pearl white.

So Yes, as happy as can be. And  you must have a hobby in these corona times

• Like 2

I’ve been through phases of ‘collecting’ and know I don’t want to do it.  So yes I have now got some great models that I enjoy, and others yet to be made that I’ve purchased ready, as I will eventually enjoy building them / the look of them / running them etc. depending on their characteristics. But I don’t want to be a collector.

• Like 1

I got a mention on the wife’s forum under the ‘how many kits does your husband have and how willing are you to give him the boot over it?’ thread. 

• Haha 5

I don’t “collect” but my collection has grown since the first round of lockdowns early this year. I’m at 4 Tamiyas. I started with a M06 miata as a 45th Bday present . This was my first Tamiya build and I loved the experience.  Since wife is an Educator ( Adjunct University Professor) I decided my next build should be. G06 King Yellow.

Then I discovered the Vintage Tamiya listings on FleaBay. Now I have a ReRe Pumpkin and a Vintage Hornet ( both running for less than the price of anew TrAxxas ) 

I feel like o have to rationalize my RC hoarding with a caveats 

1) I funded all my RC purchases this summer by fixing and selling junked mowers and bicycles 

2) Tamiya kits have reawakened the “Fun” factor of RC to me and gotten my wife interested and driving 

3) I never had a Tamiya “back in the day” when I raced Kyosho and Yokomo kits. I think my dear, late dad always thought they were a little pricey compared to the value of other brands. Now that I have the Re Re Pumpkin I think he would have been pleased with the engineering and build quality had he given them the chance.

I also wish I could share any of my modern RCs with him. I got back into the hobby after he passed. 

• Like 3

I was around RC as a kid, but never had the money to buy anything...when pandemic hit, I figured I'd need something to keep me and my 6 year old occupied...so I bought a grasshopper. 8 months later I have 7. Hornet, egress, supershot, durga, hopped up tt02b and a df03. I've mainly been bashing them around my house.

Going to get into touring cars as there is a indoor carpet track nearby and I think its time to compete and kick some a$$..lol.

Also might get into higher end buggies like a tekno, kyosho or schumacher..I love the Durga more than the others and think belt driven cars are so smooth...think the Cat L1 evo is my next buggy.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

I would say i am happy at 4 but i want one more

Take two they're small.

Oh? i'll try one of these, that over there looks tasty, oh my you made that?, i'll try that one also, and while i'm waiting i need a baker dozen of those:lol:

That's my story and i'm sticking with it.

I build that's it...........................................

they'll all be given away some day, as i mentioned some where on here before.

but yes i have room for a dozen more.

it's more of an adventure for me,

and i like all that is shared and talked about here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My collection has peaked, having entered into the hobby in late 2015. 

I accelerated rapidly and bought a whole load of cars based on what I thought excited my imagination, mainly based on reading threads on here. I have now run out of storage space.

Unfortunately, most of the cars lie dormant as I don't get much run time. This year saw more activity than previous years with lots of garden running with my son, fun with his Dual Hunter and my modded Hornet. I also built and then we ran my M05-RA with my M04 in my first 'car park bash' so at least I can justify my tarmac only cars.

I have spent most of the year building my non-Tamiya trail rig and my one full car purchase was an FTX Outlaw.

I'm left with a few project cars, two major restorations, a few NIB and a few duplicates (why three Dual Hunters and I think five M04??). I had considered selling a few to lighten the load (though seeing some of the rally cars on here recently, I may keep them) but I'm not great at letting things go.

Happy with the collection? I'd say content...for the moment.

• Like 2

So I've been collecting for about 10 yrs now. I started with the original 5 I had as a kid and like many getting back into the hobby, starting buying the ones I wanted as a kid, but couldn't afford. Discovering eBay, my interests soon expanded a little and now I have 115 cars. Most are projects, about 20 I could run with about 1 hrs notice and about 20 are unbuilt kits. Lots of duplicates too. When I started, cash was tight too, and so I had a budget, which has increased a little, but I tend to try and stick to it so I don't go even more overboard. There are some kits I'd like to try (like, trucks and tanks) but overall I feel pretty luckily I was able to collect so many and I'm pretty happy with what I have and I know at some point I'll have to cull, but that hasn't come yet. 

My only real disappointment is that while my income has gone up somewhat and allowed me to buy many new kits in the last few years, so has my work load, so I just don't really have the time to do that much. Plus I have two promised projects that I haven't gotten too in far too long.

• Like 2

We're at 19 I think with about half being our racers and half fun cars. This is about right for us, mostly because I've ticked the boxes of stuff I wanted as a kid and my son is 7 so thinks any are cool. There are some scratch build boats as well, with one under construction so that helps scratch the itch

From here I may buy a SRB or truck for the build, but probably not. New cars will be racers to replace others.

As an aside, we have a Novafox and Super Astute, what were the 2wd in between?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Super ally said:

100 kits wow.

I am counting all the vintage body sets in that 100. I would need a bigger house otherwise...

J

• Like 1

It’s a constant battle of managing my expectations on what I want and what I have time for 😳

Realised during lockdown that I don’t have the time and also that my interest has moved from buying vintage to buying the odd new kit to build and to run, or a decent already built to tinker with.

Currently at 12 would like it to be less some days and more other days 😂

I definitely do not want anymore shelf queens or vintage models, very happy with what I have and I could reduce a little further still.

• Like 3

For the first time in ages, yes, I think I'm happy with what I've got.  I have a few surplus / duplicates that I could sell on to save space, but they don't have much value so it doesn't feel like there's a lot of point.

I've really got into racing again this year, so my focus has been on improving what I've got rather than constantly buying new entry-level or flawed kits that never get upgraded.  Also lockdown and social distancing has given me lots more time alone in the workshop to bring my existing fleet up to scratch.  Creating my Project Thread helped a lot as now I have one single place to go to see what stuff I could be doing and what things I need to save up for.

That said, last month I bought an NIB Super Hotshot and an NIB MST CFX-W, and I got excited when the re-release Fire Dragon was announced, so maybe I'll find space for more kits still.  I'm also considering a 1:24 scale or similar crawler, so I can teach my daughter to drive in the house now that the British winter has arrived in all its soggy glory.  Plus hopefully some rearrangement in the workshop means I can keep painting through winter, so I don't end up with a dozen stalled projects waiting for the rain to stop.

One of the things about striving for perfection on a project is the time and effort it takes to do everything - it's no longer enough just to paint a crawler body and slam it over the stock chassis, nor is it enough to wire is some basic LEDs.  I'm spending a little of my studio time fixing up my Arduino-powered light controller to be a more fully-functional crawler controller.  If I can find a way of installing it all in a neat, waterproof package, I'll be able to toggle my lights and control my winches from the Tx, which should make for some much more enjoyable woodland crawls.

But ask me again in a month, when I'll have spent all my November budget and be desperate to add more kits to my collection.

• Like 2

Yeah, after rationalising the fleet down to four thundershot class runners and four avante class runners plus a few oddities (SRB and crawler) maintenance is easier, keeping good stock of parts is cheaper and between the two main chassis types we cover all terrains for bashing and buggy racing.  Long gone are the days when I had 50+ different chassis types to maintain. Far better to concentrate on a few and actually use, maintain and enjoy them :)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Yeah, after rationalising the fleet down to four thundershot class runners and four avante class runners plus a few oddities (SRB and crawler) maintenance is easier, keeping good stock of parts is cheaper and between the two main chassis types we cover all terrains for bashing and buggy racing.  Long gone are the days when I had 50+ different chassis types to maintain. Far better to concentrate on a few and actually use, maintain and enjoy them :)

I like your thinking,i prefer to stick to 2wd as its easier to maintain.

• Like 1

Good thread - I've been collecting for about 16 years since returning to the hobby. I'm currently at 6 NIB's, to be built with hop-ups mostly collected, 5 built but not run, 5 runners/bashers, a couple of restoration projects, and a few body sets. This feels like a manageable number and they are all firm favourites as I’m much more selective these days, so I don't feel quite as out of control as I have done in the past . If I'd kept everything I’ve bought over the years, I'd have well over 100 kits now, many body and radio sets, and boxes and boxes of hop-ups! It's all about trying to manage the addiction 😀😫😀😫😀😫😀😫,if you know what I mean!

• Like 2

I love it! I was there in 86 when all the cool kids at school had their Hotshots and Boomerangs and Bigwigs, or Foxes and Grasshoppers. When RC was such a big thing that school let us have the gym two lunchtimes a week to race! I only managed a Nikko Black Fox at the time, which was never up to snuff really

I did a lot of scale model building, mainly Airfix aeroplane kits and Tamiya F1 cars, but that all stopped around about the same time, 86/87 when I hit my teens. I was never great at it, my hands were too unsteady and I was too impatient, but I loved the final built product

So coming into now it as a mature(ish) adult, with more patience, steadier hands and my own money is an absolute joy, and has been a great mental crutch through this weird last 10 months. Every kit seems to throw up some new challenge, I'm learning new skills and new tools (loving my Dremel!!), learning to take my time and be patient and mindful through each build; it's a great hobby for a bit of personal development as well as fun!

I also love the trade-ability of it. I went a bit wrong at the beginning without really thinking, and ended up with too much of the same thing, and have then bought some other kits and bits that I've changed my mind about. But I've always been able to sell them on either at even money or sometimes at a small profit; I like the fact it's generally quite a fluid market, it makes for an added enjoyable element to the hobby.

I'm a builder more than a runner, there's no track or club anywhere near me unfortunately. I've got my collection about right now I reckon, a few kits built, a few NIBS still to go, all of which I'm genuinely excited about building over the next couple of years; there are no passengers! And I'm hoping that at some point soon the opportunity to get out and drive them with some like minded souls will come too. I hate them just sitting on the shelf :( Although even the shelves were an opportunity to use some tools, make a plan, and get it right, as my office now doubles up as my hobby room :)

spacer.png

As well as this lot, there are a few buggies that live in the garage. I've got NIB Super Astute, Top Force, Avante, Buggy Champ and Kyosho Turbo Optima Gold kits ready to go. All more complex than the Boomerang, Bigwig and DF03 I've built and run so far, so they will all throw up challenges and I'll continue to seek advice, guidance and inspiration from the amazing TC community along the way!

• Like 6

I'm very happy at the moment but also very frustrated ..... I have 34 cars (tamiya/schumacher and Kyosho) and for the first time in at least 5 years all of them are finished, painted with working electrics and all of them run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But on the downside..... now I have nothing to work on so I have to buy more cars then I'll be swamped with projects untill they are all finished and then I'll be despaired again and I'll have to buy some more..... it's a never ending vicious circle but I love it :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

I love it! I was there in 86 when all the cool kids at school had their Hotshots and Boomerangs and Bigwigs, or Foxes and Grasshoppers. When RC was such a big thing that school let us have the gym two lunchtimes a week to race!

Yeah, our school actually had an after school club for RC cars and a dirt track on the school grounds too! Those were the days! and the 80's had some great music too! :ph34r::)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m happy with my lot, it is an expanding lot and I get happier. Now enjoy buying kits & keeping them nib as much as building and running. It’s the hoarder tendency I me that takes pleasure in a pile of boxes 🤣

• Like 1

Very happy with my collection (which now stands at 21).  Each is complete to my liking cared for after an occasional run.  At this point, I have to be really inspired to purchase another build.  I'm outgrowing the stage where I see an entry or mid-level kit and ponder what kind of hop-ups or modifications I can do to make it the way I would want it.  I'd rather hold off and wait for an Avante Black/Turbo Optima Mid level kit or the likes to occupy the last few slots I can spare.

• Like 1

NO!  They just pulled the rug out from under me with the Wild One.  I’m not paying ebay prices for one. Guess I’ll have to wait with a hole in my shelf.

That's a very interesting and thought-provoking topic. 

I was happy with my collection, and looking forward to adding maybe one more M car and one buggy to round it off, until last night when I got into an 'altercation' with my better half. She told me that 7 cars is way too much, and we don't have space to keep them all.

I have 12 cars :ph34r:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

My "Collection" started in 1984... And built up to 94 by 2005. 

Then in 2013, catastrophic events forced me to sell nearly ALL of it, leaving me with five. 💔😭😭😭😭 

BUT - within 6 months... A FAT Inheritance that I've waited way too long for is FINALLY Coming!!!! 😊😊😊 

Besides a new Mustang GT (1:1!!!), I'm going to be Hobby Shopping like a Teenage Girl in a Shoe Store during a big Sale! 😜😁

• Like 3

Yes I am, well sort of. Who would'nt be happy with this little lot

.IMG_2205.JPG.2ad04dcee1f571dc786a254d00047bb4.JPG

But hold on theres something missing?

IMG_2206.JPG.e4077511545169febfc22dbf2de86217.JPG

Ahh here it is. So I really have three problems with my collection. The Arqoshot is one. It just doesnt work for me, I dont know why but its got to go. Soon to be in trades section. Second looking through the Tamiya catalogue there is really nothing else that takes my fancy. An NIB MinI at a sensible price might just do it.  I should say at this point I forgot to mention the Sheridan Tank which is stalled waiting for parts,. The third problem is the big blue white and grey thing lurking in the back of the picture. It is just so much fun to drive and so well engineered I cant understand how Tamiya who have some brilliantly engineered vehicles could only come up with the car second from the left in the second row in this kind of category. Perhaps the Mercedes body on the CC02 is another case in point, for years enthusiasts have been asking for the right body on the right chassis in respect of the CC01. So what do they do with CC02? Yes the opposite. Once Ive finished all my alternative bodies for some of the chassis my Tamiya RC buying days are on hold.

• Like 3