Melvis

Blackfoot overheating and run time issues

8 minutes ago, Melvis said:

Some other questions if I may? Am I OK to run the tamiya sport tuned motor from the Racing Fighter? I've read about the transmission case bulging - do I need to be pro active here? Or should I return to the standard tamiya motor?

I hear the gearbox case isn’t stiff enough and you get a clicking sound, I put the ball diff in as this was the top recommended hop up, someone on here makes and sells retro fit printed stiffeners, sells them on ebay too.  I think mine was over kill, since it will retire to a clean shelf and do gentle dry running.. no mote upgrades, I just fancied making a ball diff to be fair and had picked one up even before buying the car kit..

Well if the motor shaft is hard to turn, then it can be only 2 possible things:  The brushes or the bushings.  And since brushes cannot impart that much resistance due to them being springy, it's gotta be one or both of the bushings.  Maybe the diameter of one or both of the bushings isn't large enough and the shaft is binding (a manufacturing problem).  I would try oiling both bushings using a light oil like 3-in-1, then push the motor shaft in and out (sliding it) to see how free it is, and also spin it manually.  Then run it with a C cell and see how it goes (if at all).

7 hours ago, Lee76 said:

I hear the gearbox case isn’t stiff enough and you get a clicking sound, I put the ball diff in as this was the top recommended hop up, someone on here makes and sells retro fit printed stiffeners, sells them on ebay too.  I think mine was over kill, since it will retire to a clean shelf and do gentle dry running.. no mote upgrades, I just fancied making a ball diff to be fair and had picked one up even before buying the car kit..

Hey thanks. Is that hop up to stop the original transmission breaking or does it improve performance? Or both It? For a 50 quid upgrade wondering if its worth it. 

2 hours ago, Melvis said:

Hey thanks. Is that hop up to stop the original transmission breaking or does it improve performance? Or both It? For a 50 quid upgrade wondering if its worth it. 

I think it’s most beneficial if you want to add a more powerful motor, but the general consensus seems to be the stock wears out quickly because the side panels on the gear housing aren’t stiff enough so there’s extra play which is the noise it makes, not that I’ve run mine stock to hear first hand though, mines the MIP one, not cheap though, so really depends what you’re in it for with this one. I don’t really think its the right platform for too much power anyway, it’s good fun the speed it goes.

I'm not going above the torque tuned tamiya motor. Think that speed fits this truck. Will see how the stock transmission goes and upgrade if needed. Cheers