Sign in to follow this  
simalarion

Use Fine Surface primer as finish on Agrios Body(solved)

Hi,

Usually i would finish hit PS white Black, but now i have only Fine Surface Primer TAmiya spray paint ( a lot), it say for plastic and metal. 

I believe this paint would do just fine as a finish? on top of the black and red PS paint that is under ofc.

I'm afraid that it might be too brittle to use as an undercoat.  

PS paint is flexible.  TS paint isn't.  Surface primer is used for TS.  I think if you used surface primer under PS paint, it might chip away, along with PS paint.  If I'm faced with same situation, I'd order PS white and use that instead of using primer.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I'm afraid that it might be too brittle to use as an undercoat.  

PS paint is flexible.  TS paint isn't.  Surface primer is used for TS.  I think if you used surface primer under PS paint, it might chip away, along with PS paint.  If I'm faced with same situation, I'd order PS white and use that instead of using primer.   

I am not using it under Ps Paint though, its a clear plastic Body, so i finished PS Black & Red PS now and i did not have more white so i wanted to use white primer on top of that

As juggular said, it’s not flexible enough so might crack,  it’s also a little porous/rough and intended to help bind well with top coats, so if it were left as a finished colour it could pick up and hold dirt/oil finger prints etc and be difficult to clean. If in doubt do some tests on the offcuts, give it all a good bend and see what happens, wipe an oily finger on it and see what you think then.

• Like 1

Just now, Lee76 said:

As juggular said, it’s not flexible enough so might crack,  it’s also a little porous/rough and intended to help bind well with top coats, so if it were left as a finished colour it could pick up and hold dirt/oil finger prints etc and be difficult to clean. If in doubt do some tests on the offcuts, give it all a good bend and see what happens, wipe an oily finger on it and see what you think then.

Ok, thanks for helping both of you. Then its out in the big world tomorrow picking up ps-1 white .. 

Shame you’re not in my neck of the woods, would have shared mine.. over ordered so have a spare...  I’ve been waiting for 2 months to get some paints delivered from model sport...something in the basket was out of stock, cant even remember what it is.. it’ll be a surprise when it arrives..

• Thanks 1

:) . I see now that the best solution is to buy more Ps15 red and add some more, then i think i take PS-5 as the final layers to also fill out the black, that means  the final layers will also be black (because there are som see through spots on black also). What i learned today is that you should always have alteast 1 new can for 1 car, i was trying to get away with using left over i used for my Top-Force that is the exact spray cans colours Agrios set have (if you want to follow Tamiya suggestions), but both cans came to short

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, simalarion said:

What i learned today is that you should always have alteast 1 new can for 1 car

My first lexan body I used two full and still could have done with another coat in the rear wing.. My first hard body.. I used 2.5 cans.. If anyone manages a mist and two colour coats on a hard body with one can.. they are masters of economy..

• Haha 1