Re-Bugged

Twist on the Sand Scorcher Classic

Back in April I felt like painting a Scorcher body. With stocks dwindling at the time this one eventually turned up in September I think it was. I was planning on doing a Box Art but by the time it arrived I’d had a rethink.

It all starts with getting rid of the mould lines....

ADE18100-B795-4547-B52C-BEA889129FF7.jpg

Then the paint choice...

C1A491BD-E0BD-435E-944E-AB3DD42AB3AE.md.

Once the White was applied with what I was envisioning meant that the 506 needed to be stuck on before any more painting. A bit of masking tape to help get things lined up the same both sides...

3506B138-CAB4-4ECE-B8DF-DBA8207EF26A.jpg

Then from some templates I cut masking the Blue Mountain could begin. You can’t go past Tamiya’s own tape for curves...

571A53B1-936C-4060-8B31-B73BD54EDA2B.jpg

And with 10 miles of tape later  some paint was laid on...

031A10B8-4FD0-4215-90A7-1663B4BFEB8F.jpg

5C435F24-1511-4C55-862A-5C18DA29AFEF.jpg

Very happy so far.

I found some rear lights I’d painted on another body before realising they aren’t used so thought I’d go the whole hog and use them on this one...

CC932FC2-F364-46C5-8199-DC3B0FA49FD6.jpg

The chrome part is left over from a Static truck kit super glued in and with a small pilot hole be able to have a screw in it...

My wife saw the body as it is today liking it a lot, and when I told her I’ve still got Blue to add I got one of those “Oh....” you know the one, doesn’t want to burst the bubble or anything but kind of ‘are you sure’ type ‘Oh’

She did point out that it looked very classic as it is. But I’d like to still add the blue or else I’ll always be wondering ‘What If??’

Still I can always do another down the track without the blue if it is indeed better.

Hopefully not long before I can get this gets finished 😉

I now have 4 SRB bodies but only 1 SRB chassis. So it could be a Dear Santa or something to get hold of another chassis so it can at least sit along side a Buggy Champ. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

It looks great so far and if you had told us now it's finished, I'm sure most of us would like it. But I would also like to see the blue colour on it. 

If you are planning to add a light kit to it in the future you should paint the back of the light housing black now. Otherwise the light body will glow red.

• Thanks 1

Good skills! Looking forward to seeing it progress... on to a chassis :P

• Thanks 1

I'm sure it'll look great with the blue added in. Don't listen to your wife. 

Ok, that sounded wrong.

LISTEN to your wife in general (happy wife --> happy life), but don't listen to your wife in this particular instance regarding the color of your sand scorcher body :D

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Ok, that sounded wrong.

LISTEN to your wife in general (happy wife --> happy life), but don't listen to your wife in this particular instance regarding the color of your sand scorcher body :D

Nice save :lol:

• Haha 2

I have to say it looks sharp! Such clean lines! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Aerobert said:

It looks great so far and if you had told us now it's finished, I'm sure most of us would like it. But I would also like to see the blue colour on it. 

If you are planning to add a light kit to it in the future you should paint the back of the light housing black now. Otherwise the light body will glow red.

Thanks for the tip with the black on the lights 👍🏻  I didn’t have plans for lights at this stage, but you never know?

It was your enquiry on the rear lights recently that prompted me in the first place about the time found these lenses tidying up a bit.

16 hours ago, J@mes said:

Good skills! Looking forward to seeing it progress... on to a chassis :P

I’d like to see it on its own chassis to sometime but it will just have to share with the others for now. I wouldn’t mind a Scorcher Kit, as I’ve got another paint scheme in mind and would love a framed Scorcher box to hang on the wall with the Buggy Champ.

I’m really starting to enjoy the painting stage now and just concentrating it without the distraction of the chassis is a bonus, (well apart from the 1/14 Truck going on in the background 😆)

I’m keen to add the blue as well more for the challenge and to see if I can. Having also discovered with this one why I was getting so much orange peel on other shells is I’ve been passing with the can to quickly to avoid runs, now I pass the can by slower the end result is much better. Plus using a Tamiya nozzle on the Auto paint cans helps too.

Still a fine line between a good coat and getting runs in it.

16 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Ok, that sounded wrong.

Mrs RB has asked if you wouldn’t mind just PM’ing your Phone number please so she can have ‘chat’ if that’s OK??

Just kidding what happens on TC stays on TC. But seriously if you do get a call in the middle of the night probably best just to ignore it..

5 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I have to say it looks sharp! Such clean lines! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Cheers, I did had a couple of jaggedy edges even though I’d knifed the tape before removal,  but found that rolling a bit 1500 grit up like a cigarette and gently rubbing the edges cleaned them up nicely. 

See it would appear unanimous then, the other blue will be added when I get to it👍🏻

Thanks all for the kind words and thoughts much appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tail light lens's look just like 1:1 Fannytastic, 

Nice VW looks, do you keep your keys up in your visor? may have to come sneak a ride:D

i wonder why Tamiya PS colors don't come in more flavors as the TS or any brand for that matter, Hmm?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ACCEL said:

Nice VW looks, do you keep your keys up in your visor? may have to come sneak a ride:D

Nope, I keep the keys in Glovebox so you can’t find them..........whoops........

• Haha 2

This is looking really good Ken, liking this scheme a lot, looking forward to see it finished

• Thanks 1

Bluudy fantastic!! The Masking looked Pro. Those who Paint know... Prep and Masking is 90% of a Paint Job! 

I agree - the Blue will absolutely make it pop. 👌

• Thanks 1

Got the Wheels dressed up and done, I gave them a Yellow accent around the rim this time.

FA983517-56D7-43E8-B55D-198676605165.jpg

I’m thinking they should work Ok 👍🏻 

389A331E-F15C-422F-813F-75264CA20680.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours of masking later...

478CD377-1450-47E4-BE81-594FFEA879CC.jpg

Lay some paint on.....

2CCA2271-A08F-468D-8992-1F4F53205C14.jpg

Then peel it all off again. Just a couple of little spots to clean up but overall came out not to bad at all. Mrs RB even remarked on the blue looking better than she thought it would 😁.

A47E9EE3-08D8-475E-8643-91E93D2D2B05.jpg

• Like 30

Looking very nice 👍 I'll send you my sandscorcher body for you to paint for me 😁

• Thanks 1

Agree with Miss RB, that came out a lot better than I thought it would! Tip my hat good sir! 👨‍🎓

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ploots said:

Looking very nice 👍 I'll send you my sandscorcher body for you to paint for me 😁

Cheers 🍻, after this one I could do yours in either all White or all  Matt Black, thems your options 🤣😂

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Cheers 🍻, after this one I could do yours in either all White or all  Matt Black, thems your options 🤣😂

too generous by half :D

Looks absolutely gorgeous though mate - beautiful! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Looks absolutely gorgeous though mate - beautiful! 

Thanks bud, that’s high praise indeed from someone of your your celebrity status, I’ve still got a long way to go before I get to those dizzy heights of stardom 😉

I was looking to challenge myself a bit with this one, it’s a relief all the tricky stuffs out the way, it should be all down hill from here 😃

• Haha 1

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I'm with your Wife, the Blue was even better than expected.

• Thanks 1