simalarion

Remove PS Tiny strip on "wrong" side of Lexan body(Solved-worked great)

Hi :).

Just finished Spary painting Agrios body, i am very happy with the result. I used the PS 15 as final coating. I did not see that a tiny bit of the protection foil on the other side was ripped up by masking tape så i bit of black same on the other side of the Lexan body. I tried removing this with 85% Alkohol (for washing hands in these Coronna times) but that did not help (tested first on left over Lexan).

I heard Nitro fuel should be good but that is not something i have, also i found out myself you should never use nail polish.

Edit: Wait, i think the stickers are going right on top of it :), well i would like to learn tips anyway. I have googled but did not fint tips of how to remove PS spray paint on the wrong side :)

In the past I have used a fine scratch remover paste , like T-cut fine , worked on my projects . I used a damp cotton bud to apply and work in , then wash off and polish up with auto polish . Always test in a non visible place first - or a bit of scrap lexan

• Thanks 1

Tamiya Polycarbonate Cleaner and a Cotton Swab or piece of paper towel works great too.

Nitro fuel should also work, but you will have to clean it with degreaser afterwards.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

In the past I have used a fine scratch remover paste , like T-cut fine , worked on my projects . I used a damp cotton bud to apply and work in , then wash off and polish up with auto polish . Always test in a non visible place first - or a bit of scrap lexan

11 minutes ago, 67CamaroSS said:

Tamiya Polycarbonate Cleaner and a Cotton Swab or piece of paper towel works great too.

Nitro fuel should also work, but you will have to clean it with degreaser afterwards.

Thank you for the Tips, so Tamiya has a remover, i will look it up

On 11/2/2020 at 7:46 PM, 67CamaroSS said:

That Polycarbonate Cleaner was very good stuff, only soft swipes with a cotton ball and all spray PS paint was gone and just as important the Lexan body looked brand new, (like the plastic was just removed). Problem with using other stuff is that you will often dammage the lexan body, lets say you use nail polish remover then the paint goes off but the lexan body will get fogg and then crack ... ouch!

So thank you very much again for pointing me to that litle miracle flask.

I’ve just completely stripped my 1989 ish Terra Scorcher from great globs of paint (applied by paint brush back then!) using methylated spirit and a variety of cloths - the best being make-up removal cotton pads - but micro fibre towel works quite well, cotton buds get to the hard to reach bits (but don’t last long) and even kitchen towel (the worst performer!) - I also used wooden tooth picks for the really difficult corners - the tooth pick would soften and feather out as it soaked up the meths (as did my head from the fumes....) - so no scratches to report. I then dunked the shell every 20 minutes or so in a bowl of soapy water and rubbed off any residue and dried. So far no clouding or cracking.... am about to repaint it...

I have also used super resin polish from Autoglym - but it’s slow work - although will remove light scratching from the lexan. Again I washed it frequently, and so far no clouding or cracking to report. 

Tamiya stuff looks good - but is expensive. I used half a bottle of meths on one shell - so about £2 worth? presumably has no ill effects on newer lexan shells - but no idea if they’ve changed the polycarbonate? 

• Like 1

Can't beat a bit of Meths now and again - apart from removing paint , it numbs the pain now and again ;)

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2020 at 7:16 PM, Golden said:

I’ve just completely stripped my 1989 ish Terra Scorcher from great globs of paint (applied by paint brush back then!) using methylated spirit and a variety of cloths - the best being make-up removal cotton pads - but micro fibre towel works quite well, cotton buds get to the hard to reach bits (but don’t last long) and even kitchen towel (the worst performer!) - I also used wooden tooth picks for the really difficult corners - the tooth pick would soften and feather out as it soaked up the meths (as did my head from the fumes....) - so no scratches to report. I then dunked the shell every 20 minutes or so in a bowl of soapy water and rubbed off any residue and dried. So far no clouding or cracking.... am about to repaint it...

I have also used super resin polish from Autoglym - but it’s slow work - although will remove light scratching from the lexan. Again I washed it frequently, and so far no clouding or cracking to report. 

Tamiya stuff looks good - but is expensive. I used half a bottle of meths on one shell - so about £2 worth? presumably has no ill effects on newer lexan shells - but no idea if they’ve changed the polycarbonate? 

In the shed i have something caled White spirit and Rød sprit, white sprit is for removing paint from paint brush etc and Rød sprit i use for cooking when camping, none of these helped at all (also tried the antibac 85% Alcohol botle we all have at home now because of Corona, did nothing). Also tested another type of Nail polish on a spare lexan part, it removes paint right away but then the lexan get fogy then it crack, so nail polish is a big no no.

But that  Polycarbonate Cleaner was amazing, not only did it quite easely remove paint but the Lexan body looked very good after i used it. I know it sounds like a commercial but i was very suprise it worked so well after trying so much other stuff. And yes it is far to expensive 5 -6 GPB for a tiny botle i think it was. 

What I would say is the paint I removed was applied over 30 years ago (I remember it was a jar of Tamiya which I daubed on pretty thickly with a brush!) - so perhaps less resilient than modern equivalents! 

Was a single bottle of polycarbonate cleaner enough? While cheaper, I did use about 100ml of meths, and while it wasn’t really hard work, it wasn’t a doddle either... and took bldy ages. 

1 hour ago, Golden said:

What I would say is the paint I removed was applied over 30 years ago (I remember it was a jar of Tamiya which I daubed on pretty thickly with a brush!) - so perhaps less resilient than modern equivalents! 

Was a single bottle of polycarbonate cleaner enough? While cheaper, I did use about 100ml of meths, and while it wasn’t really hard work, it wasn’t a doddle either... and took bldy ages. 

I was only removing a tiny stripe of PS-5 paint that i got under the protection foil on the wrong side of the lexan body (went loose wen i removed masking tape)

If you was about to clean the hole lexan body im sure you had to use 1 flask, but not sure. It do a great job cleaning the lexan to, it looks brand new if you swipe over the body.

i saw there was a 250ml botle Tamiya paint remover also, but that was out of stock.

If you ever need to remove paint on the outside or inside in future I'd use brake cleaner. You can get it from any automotive parts store either in a 500ml aerosol for about £4 or as a 5 litre tub that you need to put into a spray bottle for £10.

Unless you are servicing brakes and changing clutches on your motorbike/car regularly, just buy an aerosol can, spray onto a microfibre cloth and wipe off, it works brilliantly. It's a really high flash solvent so use it outside and it'll strip all the protective oils from your skin if you get it on your hands.

• Thanks 1