Sign in to follow this  
Mechanic AH

Anyone run old ESCs with new electronics? I have this old Novak T-1 (questions about it)...

I acquired a used kit for a build/restore '80s project and it came with an old Novak T-1 ESC. I'm debating if I should use it with newer electronics or just store it and replace it with something current. I wanted to use it because I thought it would be cool to see the orange Novak in a vintage kit. However, I don't know if it's even worth doing it. Has anyone combined an older '80s ESC with new electronics? (My plan is to use the Novak T-1, rewire it, with a newer KO Propo RSx3 Response servo,  KO Propo KR-418FH receiver, and some kind of 13T to 16T brushed motor from the '80s.)

Also, I don't know as much as I think I should about the Novak T-1. Does anyone recall how much of a motor can this handle? Attaching a picture for reference. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 12.56.43 AM.png

Not quite as old as 80's stuff but I'm still using (daily) two Novak Roosters (2003'ish) in my crawler and one of my Avante2001's. (The other one, just rebuilt uses a HW1060 and LiPo). I was also running a Rooster in my thundershot until a few weeks ago too.

The older Avante2001 is running a 13T Dyna Run Super Touring and 8.4v NiCd and performance (especially braking) is superior to the modern cheap Hobbywing ESC's but sadly the Roosters are stupidly heavy and large. I actually swapped a Rooster out and fitted a HW1060, inferior in some ways but to be honest, there is not that much difference in performance and the HW1060 has the LiPo cut out built in and its small size means it fits in any car without issue. This was useful as it allowed me to fit a transponder in the space saved from the Rooster.

Thundershot with a Novak Rooster - before it got swapped to HW1060 and LiPo

thundershot1 (1).jpg

• Thanks 1

Wow! That Novak Rooster is massive. It looks to me that the T1 is just 2/3s or less the size of it.

I guess I'll try the old ESC then. I've used a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 and I just feel it doesn't have character at all, visually. I'll probably disassemble the Novak T1, clean it up and rewire It's just nice for Nostalgia. Thanks for sharing some input on this. Really appreciate it.