Mechanic AH

Top 5 Tamiya Motors?

I'm always curious about RC motors (particular old brushed ones) and saw a question about "top motors" in another forum. Thought I'd borrow the topic and ask Tamiya RC veterans and enthusiasts here about Tamiya motors (I apologize if this has been asked before). Anyway, curious to hear what are your top 5 Tamiya motors of all time? 

..... I've used nearly everything BUT Tamiya Motors for Performance. 😜  However, I'm also interested in finding out what the others come up with. 

From what I've seen and read, the top Tamiya Motors are bound to have a "Zed" in the name somewhere!! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I over many decades of tamiya rc in my life have practically had and used every brushed motor tamiya have produced and would have come up with the (probably predictable) candidates? And rightly so the technigold, technituned, technipower are brilliant motors for their time and still are very good now! so is the dynatech/acto-power range but over the last year I've started using the tamiya type R, Rr, S, T type super stock brushed motors and I can honestly say with lipo batteries they are super smooth obviously not blistering fast but a very good turn of speed but very smooth and controllable! I did a "not" very scientific experiment by putting every different motor in my humble collection in my egress and they IMO were definitely the better for me?

• Like 3

Dynatech 02H, ActoPower Pink, Dynatech 01R, Technigold, Sport Tuned.

But as @TwistedxSlayer says, all eclipsed by the Conrad 240826.

• Like 4

Tamiya motors I had in the past which I really liked were:

Dynatech 01R, Acto-Power (pink), Super Stock Type R, Torque Tuned (have this currently). All are great for their purpose. 

• Like 2

There’s a old website somewhere that someone  put all the specs and pictures of Tamiya motors. Sorry I don’t have that link but search it up. That’s how I found info about my Acto-TRF motor.

• Like 2

Got to be the simple silver can, it's certainly in the most kits and therefore sold the most.

That must make it right at the top of the rankings. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is this top 5 motors for looks, performance or just a decent motor in general? 

If it's looks then mine are

5. Acto M-chassis 

4. Dyna tech 01R

3. Dynarun 

2. Acto trf 

1. Super stock type RR (gunmetal) 

• Like 5

Thank you for the Education, Gentlemen!! I learned something new about Tamiya Motors. 😉👍👍 

I've heard some People bringing up "T-Zed", "R-Zed", and the other Zeds.... 

I'm actually surprised that none of you brought them up. I suppose they're not as good as some People claim. From what I can gather, some of those Zeds are just Open Bell versions of the Closed Bell 27T, 25T and 23T Motors.

My Racing comes from a different World - and Time though. I mainly used Reedy, Trinity, Tekin and Kyosho... In the 80's and 90's, we're the way to go.

Now there's a MYRIAD of RC Motor Brands, that have this Old FART confused!!!! 😲😳😜😂

• Like 3

I believe the fastest is Super modified 11T motor at 3.8k rpm (no load) and the most expensive was TRF Acto-Power at a whopping 8,000 yen back in 1993

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JYCM3 said:

I believe the fastest is Super modified 11T motor at 3.8k rpm (no load) and the most expensive was TRF Acto-Power at a whopping 8,000 yen back in 1993

Think the transpeed 10T and 9T beats that! 

Admittedly a rebadged Team Orion motor🙄

Edited by svenb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Carmine A said:

My Racing comes from a different World - and Time though. I mainly used Reedy, Trinity, Tekin and Kyosho... In the 80's and 90's, we're the way to go.

My dad was more of a motor expert when I raced as a kid in the 80s.I did some basic maintenance but mostly just drove.

Like above we mostly used Trinity and Kyosho with the occasional Losi Revolution. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xeostar said:

Got to be the simple silver can, it's certainly in the most kits and therefore sold the most.

This

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1) 13T Dyna Run Super Touring (33K rpm) - works well in everything from truck to buggy to touring car depending on pinion. They are reliable, torquey, fast, rugged, handle 8.4v-9.6v over very long periods without issue and are good looking too! My best motor by a country mile and that includes motors 5 times the price. 

Nobody seems to know anything about them and are rather surprised/shocked when my 8.4v NiCd Dyna Run powered buggies slaughter their brushless buggies.....:D

I own four of them, two knackered old ones plus two brand new. In my Thundershot and Avante2001 with larger pinions they hit 35mph on 8.4v (or 2S LiPo) or on smaller pinions they will do virtually unlimited donuts and drifting with ease and get fairly decent run times. On 9.6v my thundershot does 43mph :ph34r:

dynarun2.jpg

2) Technigold - old fashioned, naff brush design but lots of memories of it from the 80's  inspirational but no match for a Dyna Run, I sold all mine to buy Dyna Runs instead.... 

3) Mabuchi RS540 silver can - indestructible, reliable and relatively torquey for its cheap price

4) Super Stock RR gunmetal - 3mph quicker than silver can in our thundershots, reliable and relatively cheap to buy at the time (sort of the Sport tuned of their day)

5) Sport Tuned - cheap and a reasonable 2mph gain in speed in our thundershots

My 2nd favourite motors are my 2002 vintage Reedy 19T quad mag spec motors but as they aren't Tamiya they don't count but they are only just shy of the performance of the Dyna Runs.

• Like 3

I don't have any vintage brushed motors and really prefer brushless for going fast, or just about anything.  I haven't bought Tamiya brushless motors as they're expensive and I doubt they perform well enough to justify the price.  But, my list would have to be

Silvercan - they come in kits and most of my rere's run them.

Sport tuned - decent upgrade for the price

Super Stock RZ, TZ and BZ.  They can be 3 - 5.  I'm really impressed with these motors, their performance is close to a 13.5T brushless and they are so well matched to the more capable rere chassis, like Top Force and Super Astute.  Its also hard to get past the look of them, they look as good as they perform.

• Like 2

@mud4fun you own 4 of them :o!? I want one for a build but it's still too expensive, one day... 

Oh and the mention of Conrad, The Conrad 240826? I don't know much about it, why was it so legendary?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

Oh and the mention of Conrad, The Conrad 240826? I don't know much about it, why was it so legendary?

If Chuck Norris was a 540 motor, he would still his rear kicked by The Conrad...

• Haha 4

who's this Conrad every body's talkn' about?

TamiyaBase.com - Need some info on some brushed motors - TamiyaBase Forum

if he's anything like HAL i don't want nothing to do with him:lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

@mud4fun you own 4 of them :o!? I want one for a build but it's still too expensive, one day... 

Actually, probably 5 because just ordered some used ones to strip and try and make one good one. Trying to get all our Avante chassis buggies plus my Thundershot onto Dyna Runs to free up the Reedys for my daughters thundershots. :) Can't afford to go brushless yet, well not for 8 buggies in one go, so the Dyna Runs will do until I can afford that. Trying to convert to LiPo at the moment as most of our NiCd's are reaching end of their lives so higher priority than brushless at the mo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xeostar said:

Are they a tamiya motor?

They're made by Mabuchi are they not?  

2 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Are they a tamiya motor?

They're made by Mabuchi are they not?  

and Johnson!

Still must count as Tamiya as they are supplied in most kits. 

Do Tamiya actually make their own motors? I always thought they were made by motor manufacturers and just branded as Tamiya but maybe I was wrong?

• Like 1

In my small collection only two special motors: Tamiya Super Stock RZ and Tamiya Lightly Tuned motor(28T). The RZ makes my TL01 fly. The Lightly Tuned makes my M03 a reliable runner. What I always like is the boxes of the Tamiya motors.

The Conrad....... be careful with this one. Urban legend has it that Tesla uses the Conrad motortechnique for their cars.

• Haha 1

1.Tamiya Super Stock BZ - nice compromise between speed and price (getting expensive now but worth getting when under £30), looks good too

2.Tamiya Black Sport Tuned - shame its disappeared and been replaced by shiny one, still great on older rere's without the need to upgrade the ESC.

3.Acto power pink motor - Some nice power and really stands out (the fixed can pink version was also good!)!

4.Tamiya Super Stock RZ (red) or TZ (blue) - similar to the BZ (although the BZ seems slightly better), good when you want the colour to match your buggy!

5. Standard kit mabuchi 540 from around 2010-2015(?) around this time period tamiya kit motors had a lovely chrome finish to the can which subsequently then changed to a matte finish.

They all look great on various rere models

• Like 2