Mechanic AH

Top 5 Tamiya Motors?

Conrad 240826 background reading...

Lol - I always forget that Chris had to speak to somebody in that thread - that's a rarity in itself!

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of Tamiya motors, so I can only comment on the ones I have.

Acto Pink - this is a sheer delight of a motor.  One came to me in a (believe it or not) M03 chassis.  It was way too much for it, but it now resides in my Blitzer Beetle and absolutely flies.  I can't comment on performance-per-price because I don't know what they retailed for back then or what they sell for now, I can only say I love mine, although I try to reduce my Blitzer runtimes as it gets a bit hot on the available gearing.

Sport Tuned - I've got a few of these because they came in trades or with certain kits, but for me I'd rather put the money towards a proper upgrade.  They're a notable improvement over a silvercan but it's not a big enough improvement to warrant the hassle, IMO - unless you're racing in a class where it's used as a control motor or it comes as standard in the kit, it doesn't seem worth the extra cost.  Also a lot of questions over the number of turns and if they are advanced or not.  It's possible (or probable) that the specs have been changed during their long production run, so some can be run backwards, and some can't.  Nobody seems to agree on what the specs may have been or when they might have changed.

Torque Tuned - as above, really.  I think my Fat Fox has one of these as standard, and it's the control motor for the truckman class at my indoor club.  I can't really say how much faster it is than a silvercan as I've never raced the two side-by-side, but it doesn't really feel blisteringly quick even on a tight club track, compared to the 17.5 blinky touring class.

Super Stock  - BZ, RZ, TZ - I've got a few of these.  Two BZs, an RZ and a TZ.  In the short time after their release but before we'd all switched to brushless and LiPo, they were awesome.  IIRC they are 23T, but I have happily run all 3 types on the Tamiya TEU-101BK ESC with no overheating / failures.  This was a big thing at the time, because you could get a non-Tamiya 19T motor that might have given a marginal improvement over the Super Stock motor but you'd have to buy an expensive ESC to go with it.

If memory serves, the BZ was designed for 4WD buggies, the RZ for 2WD buggies or rally cars, and the TZ for touring, but I could be wrong.  I know I had one in a TB01 rally car at one point.  I have variously used them in all manner of cars.  IMO where they really excel is in the torque vs RPM category - they have a sweet spot in the valley between torque and speed that makes them incredibly versatile.  Especially the BZ, which I have used in all manner of things.  Great punch out of corners and plenty of speed on the straights without having to change gearing - this is really useful on lower-spec Tamiya buggies that don't provide many gearing options.

The downside of the Super Stocks are the price - when new they were more expensive than similar-spec competition, but they would run on the TEU-101, so ultimately they were cheaper if you didn't already have fancy electrics.  However, brushless combos have come down in price but the Super Stock range has remained highly priced, and these days most of us have ditched the TEU-101 in favour of LiPo-friendly ESCs which can handle cheaper, faster motors, so they have sort of priced themselves out of the competition.

I have also found them to be quite heavy on brushes, and I have one BZ that has a worn bushing - it won't rev past a certain RPM without squealing.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Still must count as Tamiya as they are supplied in most kits. 

Supplied in every RC brand I've bought that's had a motor, kyosho, Mauri and Tamiya! 🤷‍♂️

NOW the Zeds are coming to light!! 😜 I knew they were used a lot... 

I'm still holding out for THIS Puppy!!! spacer.png

To see how she RUNS on 4S!! 😲😳  I've secured space at Edwards Dry Lake Bed, which is a 12 mile flat. I'll hope for the best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

To see how she RUNS on 4S!! 😲😳  I've secured space at Edwards Dry Lake Bed, which is a 12 mile flat. I'll hope for the best.

4S?!!! Some of us want this world to survive. I can't believe NATO hasn't banned these worldwide for humanitarian reasons :D

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

4S?!!! Some of us want this world to survive. I can't believe NATO hasn't banned these worldwide for humanitarian reasons :D

Some legends say that Masamune will return to forge a single 240827, giving rise to an era of peace for humanity.

• Haha 1

Just had a few guys in suits tell me to lock this thread, something about national security!!!!

• Haha 3

Yogi Bear added a 240826 warning sticker on the boredom sheet during the first lock-down. A must have for every Conrad 240826-owner!

silly-logos-02-1.png

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Oh you think that’s funny???

playing with the fabric of time and space is a serious matter. Don’t take it so lightly...

• Like 1

I like the stock 540 Mabuchi motors the 540 Johnson don’t seems to have as good quality as the Mabuchi’s

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Carmine A said:

To see how she RUNS on 4S!!

My money is on smoke at around 100mtrs.

Vid or it didn't happen, naturally 🙄😂😂

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, No Slack said:

Yogi Bear added a 240826 warning sticker on the boredom sheet during the first lock-down. A must have for every Conrad 240826-owner!

silly-logos-02-1.png

Imagine showing up for a race with that sticker on your car and watching all the other racers crying :lol:

• Haha 1

Most collectable Tamiya motor in my eyes:

The Dynatech 02H. I borrowed mine to a friend in the 90´s, he won with his Top Force Evo a local town championship in 4WD. Unfortunately I never got the motor back.

It was totally different to the std. motors from build up, with the ripped aluminum casing for better cooling. I still have the optional even hotter 10 turn rotor for it.

It was a beast in performance and looks, would like to get my hands on one for the shelf...:wub:

What makes it so special, is that is totally different design compared to the std. housings from all the other manufacturers. And it even had already a cooling fan on the rotor, just similar to the Carson cup machines sold today...

• Like 4

1.Technigold

2.Technigold

3.Technigold

4.Technigold

5. Silvercan, just to show I'm not totally biased.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

1.Technigold

2.Technigold

3.Technigold

4.Technigold

5. Silvercan, just to show I'm not totally biased.

LOL, many decades ago  a hobby shop owner who I  meet up at his storage facility,  pulled  couple boxes of old discontinued Tamiya parts he couldn't sell at his store.  I ended up bought 10 pairs NIB of SS tires which was highly sought after at the time, and 2 Technigold motors and some other WW1 parts. I was student at the time so I didn't have much cash around. Otherwise would have brought all the Tamiya Motors he had. If I remembered correct, about 10 Technipower , 6 Techingold, 1 Technituned, and few Black motors... If I had known.... sigh..

For me the most unique is brushed Tamiya motor and most expensive The TRF Acto ,beautiful endbell and unique ribbed can housing.

1200_49567_03.thumb.jpg.68dabdacde83c7e75a23e95085ba2a9d.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/6/2020 at 10:34 PM, Frog Jumper said:

playing with the fabric of time and space is a serious matter. Don’t take it so lightly...

On the other hand, ripping a gaping hole in the fabric of spacetime might be just about enough to kill off Covid-19.