Another one of the subtle things in life, taking old furniture and bring it back to life.

We'll start with this...

Tag is fabric and will go back where it was peeled from from upper rear back corner when it's completed

NTpmlR6.jpg

My Aunt a few weeks ago gave me this Curio, the receipt was still in the door space 1974 $150 (i threw it away for it was brittle) but not before i had the chance to see the price, date and where it was purchased, King's Furniture.

this is the second piece i've done that the Green (Verde) color was used YUCK! 

5iwSBic.jpg

Eah5Cwt.jpg

tN6wpau.jpg

so i started last weekend with Jasco paint remover, scrape and sanded some areas.

it'll take a while, and the exterior will be a natural finish, i'll probably use fabric inside to hide that Verde salsa look.

If any one here has a furniture project please share your photos old or new restorations or any neat old piece you have to share.

Nothing more warmer than an old solid wood piece of furniture, a foundation that doesn't and darn near can't fall apart, to me it's worth every stroke.

• Like 3

That looks like it might have been walnut feature panels at some point. American black walnut is one of my favourite woods for working.

It’s not furniture... but I on a whim bought a lathe and had a bash at some wood turning some years back, this was my first piece. I cant capture it in a photo, but the wood has an almost holographic type sheen to some of it, lots of variation.

2EE34B7B-4F71-42BE-8687-95647AFEF538.jpeg

A7519F04-6963-4739-96CB-FDCFE72E2D1E.jpeg

098F97CD-54D7-4832-AF29-565DCA84159D.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lee76 said:

wood turning

Love your bowl.

gosh burl tables (i've never done) but had an uncle that use to do them, anything old real wood , just hard too find any more, i'm pretty fortunate i've been given some nice pieces over the years, my mom and aunts are antique hounds they have an endless supply of some rather great pieces, some more desirable than others but nice all the same.

just that special something that was used for so long and still is intact and something fun to see transform, almost like sharpening a pencil:lol:

it just becomes something else yet it's still the same.

i hope more people post their pics, i'll do more as time goes by, things i need to re-do and things that need to be done and when i say furniture yes any ol' nic nak refinished or not is mostly welcome, something we've never seen before old saws, beaver and bear traps, Ol' unopened pack of PALL MALL from who knows when (mom has a pack late 20's 30's maybe) any grand ol thing,  pictures of ourselves:lol: to me it's all history, all here to touch, see, smell and use it's rather quite amazing that i even sometimes forget just how special these pieces were, and still are.

well what ever you do, is smile, have fun and keep up the good work. (when possible).

• Like 2

Like you say @ACCEL, there is something very rewarding and pleasing working with wood. I did for many years enjoying immense satisfaction from it. Sadly all before the convenience of the digital age so not many photo's of what I've done.

Serving my time in the South East of England as a Carpenter/Joiner I worked on many an old building that could have been built while Henry the 8th was deciding who to bed next. That Old English Oak goes like concrete with age, and the younger 'Green' Oak that was literally still growing (but butter soft) would turn your tools black with the acid leeching from it.

I'll have to see if I can find any old Photo's, here's something I made for my wife from some gorgeous to work with Oregon Pine. It was her birthday at the time and being on a fairly remote Zimbabwe Farm a trip to Walmart or equivalent for a present was out the question. I'd made a Phone/Fax desk for her Mum and this was from some off the off cuts. Its about 8" tall by 10" wide using all basic hand tools apart from a 12" Table Saw i'd borrowed from a Danish Neighbour farmer. That saw did some work as I also used it to make 6 pairs of French Doors (among lots of other things) for my now Brother in Law who was building his own house at the back of the farm. He had a go at a set himself. Unfortunately didn't know about Mortise & Tenons. So his butt jointed rails glued to the styles needless to say didn't last long.

O66NWAd.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Unfortunately didn't know about Mortise & Tenons. So his butt jointed rails glued to the styles needless to say didn't last long

Glues are good these days.. but not that good! I can’t even tell you how long I’ve been looking at ebay for a decent second hand and local table saw... I’ve a track saw and mitre saw which are pretty decent, but I think a table saw will open up a whole new world of DIY manufacturing for me.

• Like 2