-=Jeff=-

So I purchased a HG P407A....

I know I know, I have wanted  a Bruiser since i saw one as a kid in the 80's, Back then I biought a Clod Buster when it was brand new and just released.. I sold it in the 90's (never should have sold it). Fast forward to current. I have 3 WT-01s, a Proline VW Beetle, stock Dual hunter and a Clod Bodied one.. 

So when the opportunity came for me to get a clone of the Bruiser, I decided I was probably not going to spend the big money on one and this was the closest I would come to it. I have not started on the kit yet. I ordered a set of bearing for it and will start when they arrive. I will be using my Hacked Fly Sky GT3B for the truck. I do need some help with some items I need for it

- Suggestion on servos?

- Suggestion on ESC? 

- Grease for the gears when I pull the differentials and gearbox apart?

I will probably paint this truck in the Bruiser colors but ultimately I will buy the RC4WD Blazer body for it. 

Thanks

EDIT: Parts replaced so far

• Several of the hex Screws with Stainless pieces
  • DSM Bearings
  • Hot Racing Steering Knuckle
  • 3D Printed Front Wheel Spacers
  • RC Lions 80mm Shocks
  • 3D printed Shock Towers
  • Hobbywing 1080 ESC
  • Tamiya Bruiser U-Bolts for Springs (with flanged Nylon Lock nuts)
  • Rear Differential locked

• Like 1

I bought one of these too. I used one of the cheap high torque servos from Amazon and kept the standard shift servo. Also, since I had a TBLE-02 laying around, I used that. I made a thread here about some of the upgrades I made. I actually think they did a good job greasing the gears but it's always good to check.

Being I have a kit, I need the electronics.. Do I need the High torque metal servos or is Nylon fine? Yeah I think the shocks leaked, the shock bag looks that way. I will know when the springs are on to see how it sits..

I would use a high torque metal servo. A standard servo is fine for shifting. The shocks are garbage. I initially thought I could make them work but they still leaked. They only have a single seal on the bottom cartridge and the floating seal on top does not have a bleed screw like the re-re Bruiser.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wetman said:

What are the bodies on these? are they abs or Lexan?

ABS

5 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

I would use a high torque metal servo. A standard servo is fine for shifting. The shocks are garbage. I initially thought I could make them work but they still leaked. They only have a single seal on the bottom cartridge and the floating seal on top does not have a bleed screw like the re-re Bruiser.

Thanks.. I will look for shocks.. I figured I would need to spend some $$ to make it right..  

Looking at the HobbyWing 1060 ESC.. seems most like it and it works 

I have a Futaba 3003 servo (not copy) might steal that from the WT-01 to use for shifting duties.. any links for servo savers? for the shifting servo? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, -=Jeff=- said:

ABS

Thanks.. I will look for shocks.. I figured I would need to spend some $$ to make it right..  

Looking at the HobbyWing 1060 ESC.. seems most like it and it works 

I have a Futaba 3003 servo (not copy) might steal that from the WT-01 to use for shifting duties.. any links for servo savers? for the shifting servo? 

Thanks

I used the DS3218MG servo from Amazon since it is cheap and you can get it quickly. I used a Futaba S3305 in my re-re Bruiser if you want to go that route. Yeah, I would toss the stock steering servo saver and use the Tamiya high torque version p/n 51000.

I bought the rtr version of this, and like you wanted a Bruiser but can't justify the cost. The first upgrade I did was to move the steering servo to the very front. The standard setup on both the clone and the Bruiser is pretty rubbish and has a lot of slop. Its an easy mod too.

I upgraded to the steering same servo you've chosen too.

The only other mod I've done is to 3D print wheel adapters to convert to hexes.

And I bought a light wiring kit from bang good, yet to install.

5 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

Ah, let me know what you think of the light kit. Did you get the 12 LED kit?

6 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

I bought the rtr version of this, and like you wanted a Bruiser but can't justify the cost. The first upgrade I did was to move the steering servo to the very front. The standard setup on both the clone and the Bruiser is pretty rubbish and has a lot of slop. Its an easy mod too.

I upgraded to the steering same servo you've chosen too.

The only other mod I've done is to 3D print wheel adapters to convert to hexes.

What stl file did you find for that? I just printed the 8mm wheel spacers for the front. But would like to print the 12mm hex adapters too

6 hours ago, RichieRich said:

Ah, let me know what you think of the light kit. Did you get the 12 LED kit?

I got this one, will probably be Christmas before I get to install. Not entirely sure how many lights, but it looked pretty good and rated well.

https://www.banggood.com/HG-P402-P407-P601-P801-P802-1-or-10-1-or-12-RC-Car-Parts-WE7021-IC-Mainboard-with-LED-Light-Set-p-1528254.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

5 hours ago, -=Jeff=- said:

What stl file did you find for that? I just printed the 8mm wheel spacers for the front. But would like to print the 12mm hex adapters too

I used this one, but there are several on thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3602034

on thingiverse, search for P407 and you'll find some other mods too, like the servo bracket to move to the front.https://www.banggood.com/HG-P402-P407-P601-P801-P802-1-or-10-1-or-12-RC-Car-Parts-WE7021-IC-Mainboard-with-LED-Light-Set-p-1528254.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

ended up with this

steering upgrade

HG-P407-upgrades-1.jpeg

better rims/tires

HG-P407-upgrades-2.jpeg

• Like 1

What price do these come out at by the time you have paid duty etc to the UK?

yogi-bear

Not sure I can do the steering servo. the body I want to mount on this chassis has a mount that goes right near where the steering servo would be located to. I will need to wait and see.  Originally I was going to use a Clodbuster body but I am thinking once the truck chassis is built I might do the RC4wd Blazer body

something like this:

container_hg-p407-tamiya-bruiser-rc4wd-chevy-blazer-ess-one-3d-printing-215208.jpg

• Like 6

that Blazer body would look pretty cool. Set it up as stock and see how it goes, but I think you'll want to upgrade the steering somehow as the original setup is truely awful. You could probably do the steering another way if the mount is in the way.

If you can find the Hot Racing aluminum steering upgrade along with the metal gear high torque servo, it will tighten up the steering much more. It will not be as tight as moving the servo up front, but it will be much better than stock.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2020 at 11:50 AM, RichieRich said:

I got mine working fine with no leaks just use TRF rings and pipe tape for the shock caps.

8 hours ago, RichieRich said:

If you can find the Hot Racing aluminum steering upgrade along with the metal gear high torque servo, it will tighten up the steering much more. It will not be as tight as moving the servo up front, but it will be much better than stock.

Just ordered the Steering kit from RCMart along with a Hobbywing 1060 ESC, since I have read good things about it. Now to decide on shocks.. 

Still waiting on Bearings from DSM, They are on an extended journey I guess

I bought the DSM bearings. i have heard the bearings are not the greatest in the kit, so i want to swap them. 

Cool, have not had a failure yet, but I am not using high output batteries and just the stock motor, no sense destroying the transmission.

Going to stick with a brushed motor myself. Might to a Tamiya torque tuned. Meanwhile I am working on 3D printing a couple parts for my WT-01.

also would like to understand the best way to convert to 12mm hex, which have a chance for a complete p407 rear axle with the RC4WD axles and 12mm hex, but no front end parts. If I can source and print parts then the rear axle might be a good buy

just realized I should have ordered the 1080 not the 1060.. wonder if I can change it

no pictures (forgot to take them) but I took both axles apart, swapped to the DSM Bearings and locked the rear axle. Next will be installing the bearings in the transmission. 

• Like 1