-=Jeff=-

So I purchased a HG P407A....

47 minutes ago, -=Jeff=- said:

no pictures (forgot to take them) but I took both axles apart, swapped to the DSM Bearings and locked the rear axle. Next will be installing the bearings in the transmission. 

Take your time. Some of the bearings in my transmission were an absolute bear to remove.

thanks for the tips.. The axles were easy and the bolts holding the axles together were also easy to remove..  Between working on this and converting my WT-01 to 4WS I have stuff to do

4 out of 6 bolts on the planetary gears are stripped, I am guessing best way to remove them is drill them.. Allen wrench just slips. Could other care screws were stripped. I will probably mod the trans for the Slipper assembly while it is apart

99E91687-5958-4BED-A2A9-0F3254CDBDDB.jpeg

Oh yeah, you need to use high quality tools and make sure they are fully seated before twisting. I had to use a screw extracting set to remove of the screws. Also, once you get those off, removing the bearings from those three gears will also be a pain in the behind.

Yeah even the quality Allen wrenches won't work on these, I will go go buy another, but even ones I really did not try the Allen key feels loose compared to others that are tight fitting,

I already had one bear fall apart and had to extract the outer race.. I was expecting to happen I have had good luck so far

these are alL metric wrenches right?

Once I get these out, any reason I cannot use socket head screws instead of cap head?

Yeah, those are all metric. You should be able to replace them with any M3 screws that are the correct length. 

Socket head will not work, they interfere with the big bearing. I will have the correct bolts on Monday. However I have now have the trans apart at least 6 times and the latest was to find where a Bearing goes.. I bought the DSM kit and it has 5x11x4mm (5pc) the instructions only show 4 bearings.. Where does the 5th one go? 

Also those Ball Bearings on the shifter slider are annoying. I have a slipper coming, but might wait to install it.. however , I am getting pretty good at R&Ring the trans now

I got the Hot Racing steering part, HW 1080 ESC and a slipper clutch. Finally started to put pieces together. I have decided all the stock hardware sucks.. I stripped threads on 2 of the U-bolts so I need to buy some..  meanwhile I have the chassis with all 3 leads installed , with determine what I want whenever I get to run it

i will also note I don't care for the stock lower shock mounts and need a suggestion on shocks

799D1980-4676-47CA-9799-8A759035B78E.jpeg

20AC00AB-7B31-4D23-A4F3-0FC0DB6CB894.jpeg

It looks like you're at the point where I started pulling my hair out. 🤣 I'm pretty sure I've seen replacement screw sets online. I have not purchased one. A couple of things I noticed: in a full size truck, the U bolts need to sit flat on the leaf springs. The stock parts leave space between the bolt loop and spring. So, I replaced the U bolts with Tamiya units. I replaced the A and B leafs with Tamiya parts too. Much better.

If you don't like the lower spring mounts, there are aluminum parts available. Lastly, finding replacement shocks is a pain. You'll need to find shocks with a shock shaft with a longer threaded section to use the stock shock towers. I gave up and did something different.

I have plenty of Stainless 3mm bolts I purchased for assembling my 3D printer when I rebuilt it. I will either make towers out of aluminum I have or print them on my printer. I see the issues with the springs but will decide after driving. I found and purchased a Tamiya  set of u-bolts.

I am looking at shocks and will have to mock some things to try them. I do see the best way will be to change the tower for 99% of the shocks I see

No new real updates here.

I swapped the U-bolt for Tamiya ones

I attempted to fix the shocks but they still leak. 

I have not installed the torque bars? from the frame to the axle yet. I might go for the 130mm tubes RichieRich did.

Need to start looking for shocks

Well, glad to see your progress. It took me months to find a shock solution. I did see something new on ebay. Someone is selling some Bruiser shock towers with multiple mounting points which is more than the RC4WD ones I used. Let me see if I can find them again.

Also, in another thread, someone didn't like the torque tube mod. So be prepared for feedback there. Technically, since the rear axle moves in an arc (a very flat arc), the rigid torque tube does not "stretch" do allow for an arc movement.

Yeah I saw those comments.. what about nothing? Meaning are those tubes/rods really needed?

for shock towers if I don't find anything I will 3D print something which will allow more options I guess

6 hours ago, -=Jeff=- said:

Yeah I saw those comments.. what about nothing?

This is probably in reference to a comment I made in the other thread. I actually said it looks way nicer than the standard set-up. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have said anything because it might have come across as being critical which wasn't intended. I admitted (and still do) that 1:1 doesn't always translate the RC and that I overthink things. My apologies for any ill will I may have caused. Pay my ramblings no mind.

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

This is probably in reference to a comment I made in the other thread. I actually said it looks way nicer than the standard set-up. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have said anything because it might have come across as being critical which wasn't intended. I admitted (and still do) that 1:1 doesn't always translate the RC and that I overthink things. My apologies for any ill will I may have caused. Pay my ramblings no mind.

Yes, but you made some good points and the 1:1 versions don't have those.. I will probably forgo them for now and see how well it does

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

It's fine, you made great points. I just want people to have good info because most usually check here first for ideas/research before going out and spending cash experimenting. It's a pain when you buy something and it's either junk or it doesn't work.

Also @-=Jeff=- here's the ebay item number for those shock towers: 303742635796   I don't know if they are any good, but at least there's an option if printing something out doesn't work.

Thanks for the eBay number.. those are nice.. once I figure out the right size shocks I might go that route or print something. the back is a bit tight between the tire and the frame. 

I decided on the RC Lions shocks, since I know they fit ( Thanks @RichieRich). I have a upper mount modeled and will print it out and test it with the shocks when they get here. 

I have designed the mount to hold the upper shock one of 2 ways. I will see how it works out and adjust it from there

After seeing a few more Blazer bodies on the Bruiser chassis, that will be the ultimate way I go. It just 'fits' for me. 

Once the truck has servos and is working I will probably swap the tires. 

I have not bought servos as my in-laws insist on buying us gifts for Christmas. so I told them I needed 2 servos.. LOL

First Pass at my shock tower. I have adjusted the design and will print and mount it to test it. 

I am also going to update my first post in this thread with a list of parts replaced so far

4F30B301-0DC1-48F9-BA8C-3305947402B6.jpeg

• Like 1

Version 2. This fits nice and I chose to put the upper bolt from front to back so it equals out the stress on the part... now to make 3 more...

75E9DA05-F9BB-484D-80FC-E32C352159C4.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 6:45 PM, -=Jeff=- said:

Version 2. This fits nice and I chose to put the upper bolt from front to back so it equals out the stress on the part... now to make 3 more...

75E9DA05-F9BB-484D-80FC-E32C352159C4.jpeg

Looks good. Are you making the shock towers and wheels adapters. You sell them?

Cory

29 minutes ago, RC4x4 said:

Looks good. Are you making the shock towers and wheels adapters. You sell them?

Cory

Never thought about selling them. I can print the adapters but I did not design the ones I printed so I cannot justify selling them. I could sell the shock towers, however I have not actually tested them for durability 

No real progress. I received a couple small parts this week. I need to set up my transmitter and pair the receiver, then configure the ESC. I will also get the shifting and steering servos connected. 

I have a Blazer body on order so I might just sell the Toyota body.. have not really decided yet

• Like 1

17 hours ago, -=Jeff=- said:

No real progress. I received a couple small parts this week. I need to set up my transmitter and pair the receiver, then configure the ESC. I will also get the shifting and steering servos connected. 

I have a Blazer body on order so I might just sell the Toyota body.. have not really decided yet

You haven't been able to drive it yet? Have you driven a re-re Bruiser? I thought it was weird that they drive and sound different despite looking identical.