SupaGaz

Fast road recommendation

Hi all. 
 I’m looking for recommendations for a (very) fast road racer to build. The more complicated the better. 
 It doesn’t have to be Tamiya but I would prefer if possible. 
 Cost isn’t a big factor but I’m not a millionaire so it needs to be sensible, and parts and upgrades need to be easily obtained. 

thanks in advance. 

Gaz. 

Whats your definition of fast? There are some high speed ofterings from Arma and Traxxas which are mental fast, I know nothing about them. You probably need tp go bigger than 10th scale for really fast though, so also could be worth looking at the 8th scale on road racers.

In Tamiya you're looking at 10th scale. A 3.5T motor on 2S or 3S with ESC timing should be fast enough. Depending on the surface you could look at a buggy (last years race kits? Probably not Tamiya). If you've got a nice smooth surface then a touring car. My pick would be plastic tub rather than carbon as the surface is never as good as a race track. Even a nice netball court or tennis court will have stones etc. I would look at TB05 for shaft drive or TA07 for belt, just pick what you prefer. The TT02 has so much slop it will take a lot of work to get it up to scratch for high speed. The TA and TB cars have a heap of upgrade options too. Both have new models just announced, the TB05R (not out yet) and TA07RR (released a few months back) which would probably be the ones to get

• Like 2

Hi Jonathon. 
Fast as in 50-60 mph+.

I’ve been modelling for 40 years but the new regime of esc is still a learning curve. I was flying Helis before gyros came along so I’m gonna assume the new breed of motors and escs are a similar advancement. 
what do you mean by esc timing? 

Find something that your LHS stocks parts for. Fast cars crash fast. You'll want easy access to replacement parts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SupaGaz said:

Hi Jonathon. 
Fast as in 50-60 mph+.

I’ve been modelling for 40 years but the new regime of esc is still a learning curve. I was flying Helis before gyros came along so I’m gonna assume the new breed of motors and escs are a similar advancement. 

Its probably worth looking at Arma or Traxxas for those speeds. A 10th scale car will struggle, it can reach it but an uneven surface will cause problems. If you want to do it with Tamiya for a speed run then by all means, but they won't beable to run consistently at those speeds.

ESC timing is dynamic timing introduced by the ESC as the motor goes through the rev range. It can add a heap of power to a motor. Its usually referred to as turbo and boost

• Like 1

Member @stew_mac used to put together some seriously fast 1/10 cars with the YT proof. he hasn't been on for a while but has some content towards the end of this thread...

• Like 1

Lots of info there cheers. 
I’m not after setting any records. I just want something 50-60mph range. 
I’m now looking at 3 chassis types. TA-07RR, XV-01 and TT-01. 
The TA looks like a money pit to be honest so it’s between the other 2. 
Any thoughts?

gaz. 

3 minutes ago, SupaGaz said:

Any thoughts?

gaz. 

As mentioned before, speed is often followed by more spectacular crashes. 

I don't have any of the above chassis but loads of people speak highly of the XV-01, but the TT-01 will be much cheaper to repair in the event of an unfortunate mishap. All down to the dollars I'd say.

It might be worth starting out with the cheapest option and see how it goes, then maybe go for a better chassis later on with any lessons learnt from it?

• Like 1

Thanks. I’m gravitating to the XV. Lancia Delta Integrale to be precise. 
seems to be lots of hop up options and I like the fact it’s sealed well. 
now to find one at the right price 🧐

The TRF range is probably a good starting point, if sticking with Tamiya (you have the Traxxas that are 100mph out the box, and the Arrma Limitless now hitting 160+ mph) 

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/42162trf416x/index.htm

I'm hitting 60mph with a DF03 and a DT03 though.

Stew used this chassis to hit 128mph, so hitting less than half that speed should be very doable fairly easily.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303612876525

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SupaGaz said:

Lots of info there cheers. 
I’m not after setting any records. I just want something 50-60mph range. 
I’m now looking at 3 chassis types. TA-07RR, XV-01 and TT-01. 
The TA looks like a money pit to be honest so it’s between the other 2. 
Any thoughts?

gaz. 

The TA07RR probably won't require any hopups but the other 2 will. You could get the TA07Pro, its about half the price of the RR and it will just need the alloy suspension mounts for your running, it will be fine stock otherwise. It will cost a lot more to start with a Pro and upgrade to the RR spec than just buying the RR

• Like 3

I’ve looked at both. The pro is scarce and the cheapest one is £303 on Amazon. 
The RR is plentiful on eBay. Cheapest £357 imported. 
If I go that route the RR is a no brainer for the extra £50. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SupaGaz said:

I’ve looked at both. The pro is scarce and the cheapest one is £303 on Amazon. 
The RR is plentiful on eBay. Cheapest £357 imported. 
If I go that route the RR is a no brainer for the extra £50. 

Wow thats amazing, I paid about NZD280 for my Pro. The DCJs alone are worth 50 quid!

RCJaz had the Pro in stock last time I looked but shipping from HK will probably be heaps.

On 11/6/2020 at 1:18 AM, SupaGaz said:

Hi Jonathon. 
Fast as in 50-60 mph+.

ESCs have been around in the last 30+ years. So it's not really much different from the old ones. What's nice with the modern ESCs is you can set timing and punch easily without the need of computers because most can be done with stand alone program card/box. 50-60mph can be achieved by RCs equipped with lower turn motors (10t and below). Brushless systems with sensor can also be programmed to activate turbo and boost which will add more punch/power.

• Like 2

The last one I had on a Tamiya was wire wound with a honking great resistor on it lol. 
my helicopters, drones and boats have all had built in or combined systems that you can’t adjust. 

• Haha 1

I’ve bagged a TT-01E raw kit from eBay. It was a steal so I’ve hatched a plan. 
im gonna build the kit ‘as is’ and see how it performs. 
I’ve ordered pretty much every hop up that I think will make a difference, and then plan to rebuild it using them and see just what effect they have if any. 

• Like 2

The TA or TRF models are the best. Belt cars are so efficient and setup so well from the design so super easy to go fast and handle. 

The TT02 is a great little platform with so many options and access to cheap spares and a huge amount of hop up. 

I got a type RR to 110mph with just a yeah racing motor mount and changing to 48p gears. 

my TRF just did 135mph with a 3s battery. 
image.thumb.png.63080530ab70bc1b75335e41b35f7d9f.png

I always recommend the TT02. It’s a good chassis and so many options to have fun with.

• Like 1